It really is unique and quite a disappointment that not only the current model will be abandoned but the chance of a future version is slim to none (now back to my simmering rhubard - no, not this entire situation - the real thing)
    I'm one click away getting two sets of batteries for my playbooks. I'm not sure if they will die of other issues before i need to renew the batteries.
    06-30-13 09:52 PM
    I'm one click away getting two sets of batteries for my playbooks. I'm not sure if they will die of other issues before i need to renew the batteries.
    I guess if they've made it past other potential failures, screen and camera issues seem to be the prominent, then they probably continue to run reasonably well and batteries would be the next potential problem. There's no spinning hard disk to fail (my 6 year old tivo just had one die). I've heard in the past that most electronics are pretty reliable if they don't fail within the first 6 months and can on ticking after that.
    07-01-13 09:26 AM
    Serious, guys, the HP Touchpad is where it's at! 4.2 Jelly Bean and webOS in one svelte, durable package and a huge userbase. For app devs, it's also a big market opportunity as the userbase keep growing (check out webOS Nation if you need proof).
    07-01-13 10:30 PM
    I have one of these and have been a webOS Nation member for years but have not installed CM9 or CM10 yet (CM=Cyanogen Mod). The reason? Certain things don't work depending on version (camera is iffy in CM 10 but thankfully it IS working thanks to serious hard work, Bluetooth doesn't work on CM 10 either and there are more issues too). It takes a lot of learning and nerding out to get it installed on the tablet and functioning. As well, it's a giant mess on the support forums over there with a whole lot of options and no real direction. It's a choose your own adventure and will take a LOT of you personal time to get results. IT IS POSSIBLE and you will get satisfactory results in the end but you had better be prepared for a world of hurt for a little while...

I would avoid this and buy a pre-done Android tablet. As mentioned earlier, for the price and features, the Sero 7 Pro from a US Walmart is the best bang for the buck at $149. You'll get a warranty. You don't get that with an HP TouchPad. It's not perfect, but it's a LOT better than an HP TouchPad. The features are WAY better (1280x800 IPS display, mini HDMI, NFC, GPS, Bluetooth 3, Tegra 3 quad core CPU, microSD card - I could go on and I haven't even mentioned all the apps from Google Play - Netflix, Instagram...blah, blah, blah.)

Serious, guys, the HP Touchpad is where it's at! 4.2 Jelly Bean and webOS in one svelte, durable package and a huge userbase. For app devs, it's also a big market opportunity as the userbase keep growing (check out webOS Nation if you need proof).
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 07-01-13 at 11:03 PM.
    07-01-13 10:50 PM
    Gee I hope you are right as I have one HP Touchpad in use and a second one sitting in the box unused probably rotting away. Both 32 GB. Dual boot may be a lot cleaner and require a lot less RAM than trying to run an emulator on top of a multitasking primary OS.
    07-02-13 12:04 AM
    I would consider the HP Touchpad, seriously. It's crazy amazing with bulletproof build quality, an high-DPI display, a huge number of apps (commercial and homebrew), and there's an ever-growing community of support over at webOS Nation!

It runs Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, runs webOS, and it can be found for peanuts!

Come join the webOS Nation!

I've actually considered this. Mostly just to experience WebOS.
    07-02-13 12:08 AM
    I would avoid this and buy a pre-done Android tablet. As mentioned earlier, for the price and features, the Sero 7 Pro from a US Walmart is the best bang for the buck at $149. You'll get a warranty. You don't get that with an HP TouchPad. It's not perfect, but it's a LOT better than an HP TouchPad. The features are WAY better (1280x800 IPS display, mini HDMI, NFC, GPS, Bluetooth 3, Tegra 3 quad core CPU, microSD card - I could go on and I haven't even mentioned all the apps from Google Play - Netflix, Instagram...blah, blah, blah.)
    I've never had a problem with CM7, CM9, or CM10 on my Touchpad, frankly. As far as the Sero 7 is, though, the screen, despite being IPS, has poor angles and washes out more quickly than a Touchpad. The NFC and Bluetooth 3 is nice, but Adreno 220 graphics and 1.5Ghz dual-core CPU smoke the Tegra 3 even to this day. Go ahead an put up Need For Speed up against each other in comparison sometime. Regarding quad-core, it's basically wasted energy on a tablet right now--and octo-core (coming to Android devices) is completely insane.

Yes, the HP Touchpad doesn't have Netflix, Instagram, etc. natively, but it's got an amazing community making available an entire ecosystem worth of content via the dual-boot into JB 4.2 (CM10, w/Google Play) along with community-supported projects in webOS itself that bolster its value greatly. Want Ubuntu on it? That's available as well.

The HP Touchpad is an insanely flexible device that rocks 9.7" of screen and will take your breath away. It's that amazing. My wife has an iPad 3 and I can't stand it because the user experience, community, and apps available on webOS is simply amazing. You have to check it out for yourself! If you have any questions, check out webOS Nation's Touchpad forum and ask away.
    07-02-13 02:53 AM
    Anyone? The Touchpad is a fantastic successor move to your Playbooks! Come check us out! http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/
    07-14-13 11:33 PM
    Take a look at the Galaxy Note 10.1
    Yep. This is the 10 and inch tab that I have now. Quite happy with it.
    07-14-13 11:43 PM
    The Apple Mini is a nice device and its close to the size and feel of PlayBook. Its a shame Father, Thor, no longer loves his PlayBook children.
    07-15-13 07:20 AM
    I ended up getting the Samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 because it fits my need and was a perfect size only downside is its running android.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    07-15-13 07:24 AM
    The Apple Mini is a nice device and its close to the size and feel of PlayBook. Its a shame Father, Thor, no longer loves his PlayBook children.
    Father Thor? More like dead beat Thor to me Typical! All the promises when he was horny for our money. Once it's over he just making excuses and scurry away.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    07-15-13 07:52 AM
    Someone here has to be interested in using the HP Touchpad. Anyone? It's seriously got the firepower and support with both webOS and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean to take on the top-tier still even two years after its release! We really need the support in the webOS community from you guys and we REALLY need the help from each and every one of you willing to make the switch! Come to our HP Touchpad forum (linked previously) and discover how you can get one at low or no cost! Just create a new post indicating your interest and we'll fill you in ASAP!

Please join our webOS Nation community and help us get this device back into the top tier in market share ahead of the iPad and Samsung Android tablets. We can still be top dog and revive interest for our OS with your help and donations to webOS Internals and webOS Ports, and with Open webOS on the cusp of greatness we can enter retail again soon with a whole new line of tablets and smartphones. The webOS Nation community believes, and are seriously counting on all of you looking to switch to believe too!

Please support webOS and let's create a united front to unseat both Apple and Android! We can do this with your help, guys and gals!
    07-17-13 12:39 AM
    Yep. This is the 10 and inch tab that I have now. Quite happy with it.
    That is a good *** tablet...people give Samsung lots of stick but they do know how to make good tablets...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 12:58 AM
    I don't think the choice is too difficult. If you want/need a tablet that is more like a full PC you currently have one choice, a Windows (not RT) tablet.

If you are going to use it primarily as a consumption device (as most do) you can go ipad or Android. If you are invested in the Apple world (iphone/itunes) one of the ipads is probably your best bet.

Where it gets a bit difficult to decide on a single product is if you decide to go Android. There are so many models/sizes/features available and they get better and cheaper every month. As was stated earlier the Sero 7 Pro is a great budget tablet. We don't know what Google is going to offer in the new Nexus 7 tablet but it almost certainly won't have a microSD card slot. Cube is a company many have not heard of but they just announced a very well specd tablet for a very good price. On the 10" front there are some really good tablets from Samsung, Toshiba and many others. I suggest you read lots of reviews and make a list of "must haves" and "really wants" and see which one fits you the best.

I couple of good sources for reviews are cnet.com and liliputing.com Happy hunting!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-17-13 05:31 AM
    Someone here has to be interested in using the HP Touchpad. Anyone? It's seriously got the firepower and support with both webOS and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean to take on the top-tier still even two years after its release! We really need the support in the webOS community from you guys and we REALLY need the help from each and every one of you willing to make the switch! Come to our HP Touchpad forum (linked previously) and discover how you can get one at low or no cost! Just create a new post indicating your interest and we'll fill you in ASAP!

Please join our webOS Nation community and help us get this device back into the top tier in market share ahead of the iPad and Samsung Android tablets. We can still be top dog and revive interest for our OS with your help and donations to webOS Internals and webOS Ports, and with Open webOS on the cusp of greatness we can enter retail again soon with a whole new line of tablets and smartphones. The webOS Nation community believes, and are seriously counting on all of you looking to switch to believe too!

Please support webOS and let's create a united front to unseat both Apple and Android! We can do this with your help, guys and gals!
    Touchpad is interesting device and webOS was - ah, so promising.
    Since I purchased my first PB, my Touchpad remained on Touchstone dock in the bedroom. Today it's just a reader (Kindle) and a photoframe for me. Geographical limitations of applicaton store was critical (and stupid) issue which restricted growth of users base from the beginning. Still love its battery life and speakers.
    07-17-13 09:10 AM
    I think I've made my decision about what to do with this PlayBook mess. I get an upgrade this fall, I was going to get the Q10 but, as the PlayBook is long and dead now, I think i might just go for the A10. I got a few years out of my still fully functional PlayBook and rather than getting a new phone and a new 7-8 inch tablet by the end of the year, I think the A10 might just be for me.

I've used large Android phones in the past, and although I was Ok with the size, the BlackBerry experience is what I missed. This might be the phone I've been waiting for.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 via the CB Forums App
    07-17-13 01:41 PM
    I would wholeheartedly recommend Nexus 7 straight off Google Play. Pure unadulterated Android experience on very decent hardware with very decent price no "Android Player" of any kind can ever dream to match.
    07-17-13 01:47 PM
    I would wholeheartedly recommend Nexus 7 straight off Google Play. Pure unadulterated Android experience on very decent hardware with very decent price no "Android Player" of any kind can ever dream to match.
    If you meant for me, I'll pass. Already have 1 good Android tab and have no desire to have the Nexus 7.
    07-17-13 01:53 PM
    I'm leaning towards buying an A10 off contract and using it as a "tablet". I like that I'll be able to access the same BlackBerry World that I can access from my phone, and it'll give me a bit of screen real estate to enjoy vids, games, and book reading. I will miss the option to "open on PlayBook" and I know I won't get my text messages on there, but I figure I will have BBM, and therefore will have the ability to screenshare which was a feature I was hoping we would see with our current PlayBooks. I just wonder how using BBM on it will be affected if I use the same BBID on both devices. I just need to get my hands on one so I can start tinkering around with it!!!

So what should a Playbook owner wanting an updated tablet move to now?...-emojiunion_funny_9.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 09:44 PM
    Then I would recommend the Nexus 10 to go along with that too...Great devices to have.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-19-13 at 08:57 PM.
    07-19-13 04:41 AM
    Let's see. Windows 8 PC, W8 phone coming (no more BB, for me), so, when this one dies, then I'll be looking at a Surface. But who knows?
    07-19-13 06:44 PM
    Let's see. Windows 8 PC, W8 phone coming (no more BB, for me), so, when this one dies, then I'll be looking at a Surface. But who knows?
    You might be finding them at PB prices. I gather MS took a 900 Million write-off today - they are not selling very well according to the local news. And in this case, local means MS' home base!
    07-19-13 08:44 PM
    I love my Playbook, but am severely disappointed now that it doesn't work with BB10 phones, and now they're killing support. Was thinking of the Nexus 7 2 when it comes out but I won an Ipad 2 in a draw this week. I don't own any apple devices, but since it's free I will give it a try. To be honest I'm getting tired of being left out of all the apps etc. Everything that comes out is compatible with android or apple only. I will try the darkside to see what it's like. If I don't like it, the wife will use it and I'll give android a try (when I'm ready to switch). Still enjoying my Playbook and Torch 9810, but so disappointed in Blackberry from a user and shareholder point of view.
    07-19-13 10:08 PM
    I have gone through the install of CM9 (Android 4.0.x) on the TouchPad (cm-9-20130714-NIGHTLY which has the master key exploit fix issue taken care of) and I can personally tell you that it was not without issue getting EVERYTHING to work right off the bat (TWRP [twerp] and MoBoot as well as the Google Apps [gapps] package which contains the Google Play Store) were not installed at first because of the article omitted the fact that the zip files had to be named a VERY specific way to include the word update- in them. Otherwise the installer (ACMEInstaller3) would sh!t the bed and not install them leaving a complete newbie without a clue what he was doing...or why things failed. Good thing I'm tenacious and figured it out having a good background in this kind of thing thanks to the webOS fiasco. As well as already having side load experience with ES File Explorer and the PlayBook (ES File Explorer 3 is awesome by the way).

Anyhow, long story short, the install is fully working and I know a LOT about the TouchPad running CM9 now. It did take a lot of personal time to invest reading, watching and learning how to overcome issues to get it to work. Now all that being said, CM9 on the TouchPad is pretty darn impressive and runs very smoothly. There are no real issues that I can find with this version to impact performance and reliability. It's FAST and fluid but VERY clunky compared to the UI of the PlayBook. There is no getting around that fact. Android's UI is a$$ backward compared to the PlayBook. The TouchPad has awesome battery life compared to the PlayBook...like not even close, the TouchPad smokes it. The apps that are available via Google Play are awesome...like it's so not funny to compare theirs to ours. Theirs wins without even trying. Boot times are ridiculously fast compared to the PlayBook. It actually is a total and complete failure of BlackBerry to have their tablet take 3 mins to boot where this takes less than 30 seconds.

One thing to keep in mind about the TouchPad is that the screen can NOT be read/used out in bright daylight. The PlayBook destroys the TouchPad on this. The sound of the TouchPad has always been amazing but it's awesome on the PlayBook too. My biggest complaint about the TouchPad is that the speakers fire downwards and are not front facing like the PlayBook. This means the PlayBook appears to be much louder because it is firing right at you in the face.

Anyhow, it is pretty impressive what a much older technology the HP TouchPad really is. If you can get one cheaper than $149 then go for it. Be aware the TouchPad case is prone to cracking around the speakers and headphone jack - mine has two micro cracks around the right speaker fyi. BUT, I can not stress this enough...the Sero 7 Pro will circumvent all this hoop jumping and you'll not only get a manufacturers warranty for a year you'll also get many more features that simply do not exist in the older TouchPad. Also, the screen on the Sero 7 has been directly compared to the Nexus 7 version 1 in videos on YouTube and it's identical. So the claim about it not having good viewing angles is simply NOT TRUE. Do a search on YT, watch the videos and see for yourself.

So ya, I'm pretty happy I installed CM 9 on my TouchPad. All things work and work well. CM 10 (all versions) do not have Bluetooth and until that happens I won't be upgrading to CM 10 or beyond. Where as on a Sero 7 Pro, you can already get updated ROMS and most likely will be able to get Android 4.3 running on it as soon as it is released by Google. So there you have it. YES, the TouchPad is very capable still in the tablet world, but I can tell you that I would personally rather have HDMI, GPS, NFC and much higher quality front and rear cameras (rear camera has flash too!) than what the TouchPad has (TouchPad only has a crappy front cam - no rear cam). For me, still, it's a no-brainer. Research and buy a Sero 7 Pro for $149 from your Walmart and prove me wrong...

This guy seems to think so too:

I've never had a problem with CM7, CM9, or CM10 on my Touchpad, frankly. As far as the Sero 7 is, though, the screen, despite being IPS, has poor angles and washes out more quickly than a Touchpad. The NFC and Bluetooth 3 is nice, but Adreno 220 graphics and 1.5Ghz dual-core CPU smoke the Tegra 3 even to this day. Go ahead an put up Need For Speed up against each other in comparison sometime. Regarding quad-core, it's basically wasted energy on a tablet right now--and octo-core (coming to Android devices) is completely insane.

Yes, the HP Touchpad doesn't have Netflix, Instagram, etc. natively, but it's got an amazing community making available an entire ecosystem worth of content via the dual-boot into JB 4.2 (CM10, w/Google Play) along with community-supported projects in webOS itself that bolster its value greatly. Want Ubuntu on it? That's available as well.

The HP Touchpad is an insanely flexible device that rocks 9.7" of screen and will take your breath away. It's that amazing. My wife has an iPad 3 and I can't stand it because the user experience, community, and apps available on webOS is simply amazing. You have to check it out for yourself! If you have any questions, check out webOS Nation's Touchpad forum and ask away.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 07-20-13 at 12:44 AM. Reason: video URL added
    Tim1131 and dmlis like this.
    07-19-13 11:38 PM
55 123