I have been hanging on waiting for BB10 to breathe life into my ailing playbook. Im in that group that rushed out and bought one the moment it was said BB10 would come to the playbook (and the price had dropped)....

So thats not going to happen and I need/expect more from a tablet so now I need to find an alternative.

If Im going to have to buy something new, then I want:

10" screen
    hi res display for image viewing (photography)
    stylus would be good for note taking
    plenty of storage or ability to expand
    decent processor and ram as I expect this to last a few years and be able to upgrade it when updates available

So what is the best option now or whats due out in coming weeks?....
    06-29-13 05:35 PM
    Take a look at the Galaxy Note 10.1
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-29-13 05:59 PM
    The ipad, it's gonna go great with my iphone 5
    06-29-13 06:35 PM
    The tablet hardware that has reliable software updates is Google's Nexus line, IMO. Samsung might be getting better, but over a longer period I'm not inclined to trust them.
    06-29-13 06:39 PM
    The tablet hardware that has reliable software updates is Google's Nexus line, IMO. Samsung might be getting better, but over a longer period I'm not inclined to trust them.
    Samsung makes the nexus 10 tablet

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    Rozkay likes this.
    06-29-13 07:03 PM
    My next tablet will likely be a tablet running the full version of Windows 8. I'm tried of tablets that are focused almost completely on consumption only. I want a tablet that I can do some actual work on.
    FF22, biff101, JeepBB and 6 others like this.
    06-29-13 07:20 PM
    I'm not sure what tablet I will move on to when my PlayBook is called back to tablet heaven to rest in peace but I know it will be a 7 inch tablet, for me the 7 inch size is the best!!

I'm more inclined to go with Windows 8 over Android or IOS at this point!!

Swiped from the Links amazing Z10
    06-29-13 08:05 PM
    I personally would love to own a windows surface tablet, I've owned a android tablet, a iPad and borrowed my mother's PlayBook for a few months, but a surface would be awesome to try

06-29-13 08:08 PM
    For cheap? As in $149? Look into the Sero 7 Pro by Hisense at your US Walmart (not in Canada unfortunately). It's LOADED with specs for that price and runs JellyBean 4.2. It's been rooted and has custom ROMS available on XDA Developers already.

You should know, it has two negative issues which are being worked on but don't let these put you off, for the price, this tablet is on par or better than the Nexus 7 - go to YouTube to see the direct comparison videos. The two issues that prevent me from giving it a 10/10 are: One is the case backing flexes a bit when pushed on. Hisense has fixed the case with spars in their new batches - problem is though you will most likely get one with the flex back until stock changes over. The second is that the video camera mode has a very white white-balance setting. The camera itself in photo mode takes decent quality pictures (not super spectacular but very vivid and accurate color) BUT, when shooting video, the footage is ghostly white and loses it's color. There are work-arounds being figured out though and if you compensate for the white-balance (the modders have figured this out via hacks) then things are improved. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hisense releases an official software update to compensate. Don't quote me on that. It is also only an 8GB ROM but it has microSD support up to 32GB.

Seriously, for the cheap price, this is a no-brainer. This device kicks a$$. If you have a lot of money then yes, go with something more mainstream and most likely Samsung or Apple made. If you wan't a cheap way to get your foot wet with Android with a VERY capable tablet, then buy the Sero 7 Pro (NOT the lite version for $99).

Attachment 178094
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 07-01-13 at 10:04 PM.
    06-29-13 08:16 PM
    I would consider the HP Touchpad, seriously. It's crazy amazing with bulletproof build quality, an high-DPI display, a huge number of apps (commercial and homebrew), and there's an ever-growing community of support over at webOS Nation!

It runs Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, runs webOS, and it can be found for peanuts!

Come join the webOS Nation!
    06-29-13 09:10 PM
    A 7" or 8" Surface Pro would be a better choice... in my opinion...

Posted via Z10
    06-29-13 09:23 PM
    I've switched to the note 10.1. Not the best screen but Every other feature is great.
    06-29-13 09:28 PM
    64 gb playbooks will be super cheap.
    06-29-13 09:47 PM
    64 gb playbooks will be super cheap.
    $178 CAD at Wal-Mart

06-29-13 09:50 PM
    I myself am waiting for the Toshiba Excite Write. Same pixel density as the Nexus 10, but has a Tegra4, Wacom digitizer with stylus, and MicroSD slot. It looks to fit my needs. Sadly, as much as I considered a Surface Pro, the debacle with that company's new console turned me away from anything past Windows7.
    06-29-13 09:55 PM
    Get an iPad mini, it may be more $$ but you can get all the apps for it, works well, browser is nice.

I have a:
    1) playbook (Sits on my nighttable and gets used every night and morning-Still my favourite interface, performances really sucks)
    2) iPad Mini (Lives in the family room - best battery life, best wifi, least glitches in the interface,great browsers)
    3) nexus 7 (lives in the kitchen and reading room upstairs, Better battery life, both chrome and firefox browers, some glitches in the interface on occasion, better batterly life and performance than the playbook but not as good as the ipad mini.

I paid more for the ipad mini than the nexus 7 and the playbook combined and if I could only have one tablet it would be the ipad mini. If price was a factor it would be the nexus 7.
    Tim1131, FF22 and taz323 like this.
    06-30-13 06:56 AM
    $178 CAD at Wal-Mart

Ohhhhh I gotta get a few of those since Thor said the pb will still be supported.
    Tim1131 and jkomo001 like this.
    06-30-13 08:16 AM
    After getting burned by two different "Post PC" tablet platforms - Android (Acer abandoned the Iconia A200 after ICS 4.03) and now BlackBerry (see last week's BB10 bombshell) - I've learned my lesson. From now on it's Intel x86 running some variant of the Windows NT code base. It's a platform I've relied on for years, one that has sustained me financially (I'm a seasoned .NET developer) and never left me without an upgrade path. And with the advent of Cedar Trail and (soon) Bay Trail/Haswell, I can get all of the power-saving benefits of ARM in a no-compromises, hybrid tablet/PC package.

Right now I'm rocking an HP Envy x2 which, while under-powered by PC standards, still runs circles around virtually any ARM-based tablet (e.g. sub-700ms SunSpider scores). And, more importantly, it's fully x86-compatible, which means I can load Windows, Linux or even Android onto the thing and get a decent experience with access to the world's most extensive app library (legacy Win32 + Metro). Skype? Netflix? Duh!

Note: I'll still tote my PB around for when I don't feel like handling an 11.6" tablet (though, to be fair, it only weighs 1.5lbs). However, when I do get around to replacing it, I'll be opting for one of the myriad 7-8" Windows 8.1 devices that will be flooding the market this holiday season. That, plus a Surface Pro 2 should I feel the need for more power than Bay Trail can provide.

And if and when I do finally get a smart phone, it won't have fruit of any kind involved in the logo.

RCK
    FF22, Send Again, Tim1131 and 1 others like this.
    06-30-13 08:50 AM
    if Im honest Im not 100% sure what I will do right now.

I do know the more I think about this the more stunned I am that Blackberry are forcing over a million customers, many of whom will now have decisions to make about their mobile computing and phone platform choices going forward to change plans......forcing installed based to consider other options is just absolutely stupid product management. if you need to deliver bad news like this you always do it with a 'we wernt expecting this, however .....(and given the forward view with some positive message)'....

so now Im going to have to look at it as an android vs ios vs windows debate. Currently (unfortunately) it looks like I may be forced to fall back on the mainstream ipad, I cant find an android tablet thats got display specs to match.....cant believe Im saying this...
    FF22 and Tim1131 like this.
    06-30-13 10:49 AM
    if Im honest Im not 100% sure what I will do right now.

I do know the more I think about this the more stunned I am that Blackberry are forcing over a million customers, many of whom will now have decisions to make about their mobile computing and phone platform choices going forward to change plans......forcing installed based to consider other options is just absolutely stupid product management. if you need to deliver bad news like this you always do it with a 'we wernt expecting this, however .....(and given the forward view with some positive message)'....

so now Im going to have to look at it as an android vs ios vs windows debate. Currently (unfortunately) it looks like I may be forced to fall back on the mainstream ipad, I cant find an android tablet thats got display specs to match.....cant believe Im saying this...
    I agree. They have now provided a large number of BB users with a reason or opportunity to explore other options. Maybe they decided to write-off all those "few millions" but I just don't think it had to play out this way.
    06-30-13 02:15 PM
    I agree. They have now provided a large number of BB users with a reason or opportunity to explore other options. Maybe they decided to write-off all those "few millions" but I just don't think it had to play out this way.
    You can shear a sheep many times but only skin it once
    06-30-13 02:23 PM
    You can shear a sheep many times but only skin it once
    Unless it is Dolly.
    06-30-13 03:58 PM
    Well, I just returned a new but defective Acer W3 tablet. It is their 8 inch, Full Win8 tablet with separate accessory bluetooth keyboard.

The problem was if you inserted a micro-sd card into the slot, it would not release back out. It should be "spring loaded" and pressing on it should make it pop back up so it can be removed. Not on my unit. And when I returned it, they tested with their sd card on the Demo Floor Model - same problem. I left and they were still trying to remove the card. I had removed mine (my bb one) using a very thin pen knife.

Initial impressions, nonetheless. Screen was nice but I think the pb's is better. Speakers are located along one short edge, so not directed at you like the pb's. I tried hooking it up to my tv using an hdmi switcher box and it did not work whereas that's where I attach my pb which does work. But it did work on my other tv when directly connected. Did not fully scope out why. Win8 is new for me so it was somewhat awkward using it at first and using it on the screen. I did actually pair it with my 9930 and could move a cursor around. I may have missed something but hooking up to usb, I never did see it as a drive to accommodate easy data transfer. I did use the PUBLIC Network folder to move some stuff around between it and my pb.

I will say that I think the pb's swipe will forever spoil me. I kept trying to wake it with a swipe - you need to press a button along one edge. Similarly, trying to swipe away apps.

Now that it is returned, would I buy it again - I'm thinking about it. They did not have any in stock, so just got a refund.
    jpash549 likes this.
    06-30-13 05:21 PM
    Well, I just returned a new but defective Acer W3 tablet. It is their 8 inch, Full Win8 tablet with separate accessory bluetooth keyboard.

The problem was if you inserted a micro-sd card into the slot, it would not release back out. It should be "spring loaded" and pressing on it should make it pop back up so it can be removed. Not on my unit. And when I returned it, they tested with their sd card on the Demo Floor Model - same problem. I left and they were still trying to remove the card. I had removed mine (my bb one) using a very thin pen knife.

Initial impressions, nonetheless. Screen was nice but I think the pb's is better. Speakers are located along one short edge, so not directed at you like the pb's. I tried hooking it up to my tv using an hdmi switcher box and it did not work whereas that's where I attach my pb which does work. But it did work on my other tv when directly connected. Did not fully scope out why. Win8 is new for me so it was somewhat awkward using it at first and using it on the screen. I did actually pair it with my 9930 and could move a cursor around. I may have missed something but hooking up to usb, I never did see it as a drive to accommodate easy data transfer. I did use the PUBLIC Network folder to move some stuff around between it and my pb.

I will say that I think the pb's swipe will forever spoil me. I kept trying to wake it with a swipe - you need to press a button along one edge. Similarly, trying to swipe away apps.

Now that it is returned, would I buy it again - I'm thinking about it. They did not have any in stock, so just got a refund.
    Say what you will about the playbook. It's still a great tablet. It's really frustrating that there's no update in sight and there's no new development of the next generation tablet from BB. Talk about self destruct. I wonder if the company is exercising poison pill to fend off any take over.
    xanderten50, Tim1131 and FF22 like this.
    06-30-13 07:05 PM
    Say what you will about the playbook. It's still a great tablet. It's really frustrating that there's no update in sight and there's no new development of the next generation tablet from BB. Talk about self destruct. I wonder if the company is exercising poison pill to fend off any take over.
    It really is unique and quite a disappointment that not only the current model will be abandoned but the chance of a future version is slim to none (now back to my simmering rhubard - no, not this entire situation - the real thing)
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    06-30-13 09:27 PM
55 123