so there was no commerical during the superbowl and i have just read rumors of ipad2 announcment on feb 17th with a release date sometime in march. this of course doesnt change anything for me im still getting a playbook no matter what (im sure most on this site feel the same way) but what about the reguluar consumer and media? pb BETTER be annoucing a release date during MWC, or sometime in the next 2 weeks. i really want RIM to be succussful with this tablet and it can be, it really can. but not if it doesnt make some moves AND soon. my guess is MWC
    02-07-11 12:21 PM
    You just answered your owm question. The next opportunity is MWC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 12:26 PM
    Well many of us feel your frustration. Be prepared to catch some flack, too... Forum cops and fanatic fanbois are about to descend upon you.

All we can do is wait. I never expected a superbowl commercial, that was all wishful thinking, but midway through last year I did expect it to have been released by now.

Maybe Xoom's recently discovered $900+ pricetag can comfort you ....

02-07-11 12:28 PM
    Well many of us feel your frustration. Be prepared to catch some flack, too... Forum cops and fanatic fanbois are about to descend upon you.

All we can do is wait. I never expected a superbowl commercial, that was all wishful thinking, but midway through last year I did expect it to have been released by now.

Maybe Xoom's recently discovered $900+ pricetag can comfort you ....

lol i hope i dont get any flack IM all about RIM, just frustrated. and yes the expensive XOOM did make me feel better lol, you can get a pretty powerful laptop for that price
    02-07-11 12:34 PM
    lol i hope i dont get any flack IM all about RIM, just frustrated. and yes the expensive XOOM did make me feel better lol, you can get a pretty powerful laptop for that price
    Don't forget those poor suckers that will buy a $50-$100 insurance plan that basically does little more than the warranty.

Many of us are frustrated. The pb essentially is suppose to quinch the thirst of us who want our blackberries but want speed and performance too, plus lock in on the latest tablet craze. It cannot do that unless its released . However, it looks like we are going to save megabucks compared tp the xoom. That was just a total fail on motorola's part. Watch how much the new ipad2 mops up the fleeing consumers; I bet the new ipad costs about what the old one did (and be discontinued).

02-07-11 12:41 PM
    Don't forget those poor suckers that will buy a $50-$100 insurance plan that basically does little more than the warranty.
    hahah yah and if the playbook is only 500 then they could advertise get 2 pb's for the price of 1 xoom lol
    02-07-11 12:45 PM
    The relative silence from RIM worries me some and makes me wonder if they will hit the Q1 target for delivery. It seems like they are just getting basic things like portrait working which seems pretty late for something that should already be being boxed and prepped for shipment to resellers. Maybe they are implementing native PIM applications before delivery. Even though I don't care if it has them because the Bridge will do everything I want, it would silence what seems to be the only gripe out there on the device.
    02-07-11 01:23 PM
    Even the most recent of videos post CES say Q1. I think it's a safe bet. They *should* announce a date at MWC.

02-07-11 01:26 PM
    I want this very soon, I'm leaving in 80 days to Australia. I'm going to need this on the plane to catch up on some business. My laptop is a little to big for the plane and battery life is roughly 3 hours.
    02-07-11 01:36 PM
    Rim has said it will be out before the end of Q1 so many times that if they don't they will get tons of bad press. And every apple blogger and every apple fanboi will have tons to say. I don't want that scenrio to happen

02-07-11 02:30 PM
    It seems like they are just getting basic things like portrait working which seems pretty late for something that should already be being boxed and prepped for shipment to resellers.
    Any build that you see being demo'ed is probably a few versions old already so you can't exactly base their progress on that. Even when its released, there will always be room for additions and improvements. CX has hinted at there being more functionality on the PB than what we've already seen....

Other than impatience, I've seen nothing else that says they aren't going to hit their target date of "End of Q1" as they've said for months now.
    02-07-11 02:36 PM
    I am by no means a insider but I will say it will be out by the thrid week of March. And I am right there with you about wanting it to be out. But I will say this, for a tablet that only played videos weeks ago and now be ready for prime time I think it will have some issues and price is one of those (xoom). Maybe that's why they named it xoom, because it was rushed to market to beat a more productive device to market. But at that price it really does not matter.

02-07-11 03:55 PM
    RIM is waiting for Apple's move. They don't want to announce too soon only to have Apple counter with its own announcement and release earlier.
    02-07-11 04:00 PM
    RIM is waiting for Apple's move. They don't want to announce too soon only to have Apple counter with its own announcement and release earlier.
    If this is true, that would rock. But how's it going to work, the day after iPad2 is announced, they'll announce the Playbook? I mean that's an interesting way to get us to buy the PB first, but kind of a strange way to do it.
    02-07-11 04:12 PM
    Disappointed no super bowl ad, but also HP will show their phones and tablet in just 2 days. RIM maybe waiting on that. BUT RIM needs to not wait long.
    02-07-11 04:20 PM
    If this is true, that would rock. But how's it going to work, the day after iPad2 is announced, they'll announce the Playbook? I mean that's an interesting way to get us to buy the PB first, but kind of a strange way to do it.
    Well, IMO, the worst move is RIM announcing the date and prices now while releasing late march. Apple could announce the iPad2 after RIM's announcement, get all the attention and coverage and then release the iPad2 a week or two before the PB. That would be a major screw up by RIM.

RIM will wait until the last minute before announcing. If Apple announces the iPad2 on v-day as rumoured, then RIM would know the iPad2's prices and date and adjust accordingly if necessary.
    Last edited by Intosh; 02-07-11 at 04:43 PM.
    02-07-11 04:41 PM
    I thought the same thing... They wanted xoom to come out first sonthey get a better idea of what they can charge.

02-07-11 04:48 PM
    You just answered your owm question. The next opportunity is MWC.

Not sure that is going to happen. RIM doesn't have a solo keynote scheduled. The only place where RIM is going to appear is on a pannel discussion.

Mobile World Congress 2011 event Details - Keynote 4: Connecting the Dots - A 360° View on Consumer Electronics
    02-08-11 06:55 AM
    I wasn't disappointed re the lack of a SB ad, because I never expected one.
    02-08-11 09:15 AM
    Not sure that is going to happen. RIM doesn't have a solo keynote scheduled. The only place where RIM is going to appear is on a pannel discussion.

Mobile World Congress 2011 event Details - Keynote 4: Connecting the Dots - A 360° View on Consumer Electronics
    Does Samsung have its own keynote? Isn't the Galaxy Tab 2 supposed to be announced there? I don't think they need to have Mike or Jim up there announcing to the world. The Sprint 4G version of the Playbook was just announced in a press release wasn't it at CES?
    02-08-11 09:34 AM
    I don't think they need to have Mike or Jim up there announcing to the world.
    I think it would be better if they didn't have Mike or Jim do anymore announcing. They need to have people that are better at marketing and hyping devices doing these talks. The communication from Mike on the Playbook has been disastrous IMHO and I think has a lot to do with people being so confused on the device.
    02-08-11 09:43 AM
    I agree. You need someone up there that will make you think this thing is the best thing ever.

At this point RIM should know what the market expects or would like to see price wise
    02-08-11 10:52 AM
    they have PR people for a reason, they need to use them.
    02-08-11 11:05 AM
    I don't think they will announce the date for the playbook at MWC, maybe just prior or just after it, but given the first pb is wifi-only and the focus at MWC is more about handsets I think the main announcement there is going to be them making the leaked blackberries official.
    02-09-11 01:16 AM
    I personally am no more going to expect an announcement at mwc than the superbowl. Even less really; what more needs to be announced? Come on guys, enough with more talk because that's all it is.

Its time for it to be released . I keep the same argument I have for a while now; if it isn't going to be finished anyway and will, like smartphones, require regular cycles of OS updates, what does it matter?"

UNLESS of course this device is nowhere near where they would like us to believe it is...

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-09-11 at 05:28 AM.
    02-09-11 05:26 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD