That's what I asked myself when I ordered the Qubits black aluminium hard back cover with silicon lining for the Blackberry Playbook. To be honest my answer was, not a lot. A cheeseburger and small fries from the McDonalds 99p range costs more.

So when the cover arrived today, I was interested to see what kind of job it would do. First off, I was just happy that it arrived undamaged. For the price, I expected it to be flimsy and easily bent. On removing it from the delivery envelope, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was supplied in proper cellophane wrapping.

-img_00000124.jpg

But it was when I removed the cover from the pack that I got the biggest surprise. Here is a well designed and produced hard cover with a full silicon lining. There are cutouts for the rear camera and BlackBerry logo (which traces the contours of the logo - an attractive touch). And when the PlayBook is slipped in to the cover, a silicon lip runs the full outside of the screen, leaving the speakers uncovered (just about) with an opening at the bottom for access to the hdmi/usb/charging ports, and moulded covers for the power and volume buttons. A cutout for the headphone socket finishes the job off nicely.

-img_00000126.jpg

-img_00000127.jpg

The PlayBook fits snugly in the "barely there" case, which although less than a millimetre thick, is very rigid, with the silicon adding extra grip to prevent the tablet slipping out. This cover is designed to be protective and fits the bill well. Fitting it is an easy enough task, with no need to apply lot of pressure to press it home. My only niggle would be that the protective silicon lip I mentioned earlier is just a bit too loose and soft to stop liquids or dust getting under it. If the silicon used for the lining had been a little bit harder it would be perfect. The cover certainly gives the welcome impression that if you were to drop your pride and joy, it would be well protected.

-img_20130307_154316.jpg

Once in place, the PlayBook looks pretty classy in its new home. If you need to remove it, to charge it on the fast charge cradle for example, this is easily achieved by peeling one corner of the silicon lip back, pulling the corner of the PlayBook out and the rest of it follows suit.

Unfortunately the cover added just the slightest bit too much overall depth to my PlayBook to allow it to fit in my Targus Truss leather case so it's going to have to be one or the other when I have it out and about with me. But the ease of access for fitting the PlayBook in the cover means it is no great hassle to switch from the case to the cover if you want to, say, use your tablet to take a few photos or shoot some video. And while doing so remain safe in the knowledge that it is being well protected.

So what do you get for 1.90 these days? Well, a pretty decent protective cover for a Blackberry Playbook for a start.

The Qubits Black Aluminium Hard Back Cover For Blackberry Playbook is available from Amazon UK Priced 1.90 including delivery.
    Last edited by Mickrick; 03-07-13 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Tidy up
    FF22 likes this.
    03-07-13 03:46 PM
    Dude I have so many OEM cases for my PlayBook's thanks to the clearance bin in office Depot. I am quite certain I'm the only one buying them from my local store. To think that I paid 50$ for my first case when I originally got my PlayBook just blows my mind.
    taffetta likes this.
    03-07-13 08:16 PM
    Dude I have so many OEM cases for my PlayBook's thanks to the clearance bin in office Depot. I am quite certain I'm the only one buying them from my local store. To think that I paid 50$ for my first case when I originally got my PlayBook just blows my mind.
    That's true...depending on location however, little to no accessories are left after the massive price cuts and clearance prices!! I bought my cases during boxing week sale couple years ago.. got the convertible case for $20 back then (2011) when it retailed around $49.99 i think..
    03-07-13 08:24 PM
    That's a steal of a deal. I never had much luck with finding markdown items for the PB. My local Walmart has one PB Dock in their clearance section. Price? $69.95 Idiots!

The case design looks a lot like my CaseMate Pop case, just without the stand.
    03-07-13 09:41 PM