would be awesome to see a BlackBerry 10 Tablet "tenblet" sometimes soon.

all i need is a bridge that duplicates the phone (hub: emails, hub integrated apps, bbm, etc.),and its own native browser on a clean, modern, UI.
    an unlocked android runtime would be nice too, with direct apk downloads, like bb10's 10.2.1.

i like the 7-8" size. 1080p screen w/ miracast, etc. am i dreaming?
    togarika likes this.
    01-22-14 11:25 AM
    Dreaming. RIM is in recovery mode. Main goal now is to make their current hardware/business profitable. If they can make that happen, then MAYBE we can start wishing for something else new.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-14 11:33 AM
    Yep .........."coming soon"
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-14 02:28 PM
    Yep .........."coming soon"
    Printing shipping boxes, warranty cards, sticking on that clear sticky films, Charging batteries as we type........

c

NOT
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-22-14 02:36 PM
    I know Thorsten Heinz said that he didn't see any future for tablets, but I'm kind of flummoxed by that statement. Sales of tablets are pretty steady and strong, clobbering the PC market.

I've been looking for a replacement for my PlayBook and there doesn't seem to be anything decent out there in small tablets unless one wants to drink the coolaid and go iOS, or venture down the Android route.

I was looking at some of the 8" Windows 8.1 tablets, but the few out there lack such basics as HDMI out, and most of the screens are way down at a 189ppi 1280x800 resolution which is pretty lame.

I'm not sure why BlackBerry can't take the basic guts of the Z30, and produce a great 7 or 8" replacement for the PlayBook. I know it's not quite as easy as that, but it can't be all that complicated either. They'd have to drop the PlayBook name and go with WorkBook, BlackBook or something along the lines of their phone naming conventions.

What I would like to see, is:
    7" 16:9 screen with full HD or better resolution and a ppi that bests the iPad mini (so upwards of 326ppi),
    Standard 32 GB user storage with microSD slot and support for up to 64GB or better,
    MicroUSB (3.0)
    MicroHDMI
    10 hour+ battery life,
    Better quality 8MP autofocus rear camera with LED flash, Full HD 1080p 60fps and 24fps frame rates.
    Better quality 3MP autofocus forward facing camera, ditto on video HD,
    Forward facing stereo speakers,
    Camera app with 3 and 10 second autotimer,
    Standard tripod mounting,
    All the other usual goodies.

Price would need to best the iPad Mini by a bit.
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-22-14 03:22 PM
    I know Thorsten Heinz said that he didn't see any future for tablets, but I'm kind of flummoxed by that statement. Sales of tablets are pretty steady and strong, clobbering the PC market.
    If I'm not misunderstanding the general situation, it's not so much a matter of future for tablets as it is in profitability in tablets.
    Margins on these items are in free fall and when there are companies like Amazon, who are only too happy to sell (EDIT: ...without skimping on quality..) at a loss, given their knowledge that you become biased toward their ecosystem, allowing them to recoup their deficit in both related and unrelated after-sales; it becomes a difficult market to compete in -- you need to offer something that makes it worth paying the extra bucks.

Apple can probably keep it up, with high prices; They have under Jobs become more a fashion company (...with a streak of religion) than a technology one, and has thrived as such.

Microsoft could perhaps do it, if they get their act together and offer powerful serious work solutions for professionals, and manage to fit these to the form factor, with the form factor as an advantage over traditional workstations in more ways than portability -- they seem more intent on chasing after Apple, though. (EDIT: Developers, developers, de....vices, devices, devices. :P)

Google has a small niche market for people who want a "pure" Android solution, without any of the additional cruft that 3rd party manifacturers are so keen on shovelling on top -- they are still keeping their prices low though, and can afford meager profits in that area.

Could BlackBerry leverage their focus on the pro-sector security and no-nonsense communications, onto a tablet (whether smart or dumb), and warrant premium prices that way? -Don't know.
    There is the whole mobile/distributed computing thing, but I see no sign that BB are ahead, or even nearly abreast, in that area.

(PS. Regarding Amazon: I'm not sure how I feel about an organisation that dabbles in autonomous airborne delivery systems, announcing that they are about to launch something they call the "V1". :P)
    Last edited by jojon2se; 01-22-14 at 08:28 PM.
    01-22-14 08:17 PM
    Please make a BB10 Playbook. BlackBerry needs a tablet, and bad.

Posted Via Z10
    01-22-14 08:20 PM
    A bb10 PlayBook with all the same ui functions though. Man I love the interface on the PB os.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 08:25 PM
    You simply won't see any tablet anytime soon.... Blackberry is doing a great recovery, is not in the position to take huge risks
    01-22-14 08:30 PM
    Hopefully they bring a high end tablet for enterprise and make a low end by Foxconn who does not want to pay for premium device.
    01-22-14 08:31 PM
    The combo of Bridge & HDMI out is what really sets the PB apart from the crowd. I would about sell my soul for PB2, but BlackBerry has to prioritize. There is lots to be done. That said, a serious business person needs a tab in a lot of professions. I know I will never again be without one. I just hope it is a BlackBerry. I just bought my third one in an effort to hold out.
    BTW OP, hadn't seen your new avatar in action & think it is great!

Posted via CB10 with "Z" best
    01-22-14 10:22 PM
    BTW OP, hadn't seen your new avatar in action & think it is great!

Posted via CB10 with "Z" best
    Thank you! credit goes to @davinci4real
    01-23-14 12:17 PM
    We can only dream. BlackBerry 10 Tablet would be my dream come true. Doubt it will ever happen, but I'd buy one the first day they were available.

Posted via CB10 on BB10 from Q10
    01-23-14 11:45 PM
    They should just make a few, and if demand exists, make more. Although, probably developing that costs a lot of money too, if that's indeed the case, they should wait until they have more money.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    01-24-14 01:19 AM
    You simply won't see any tablet anytime soon.... Blackberry is doing a great recovery, is not in the position to take huge risks
    I don't see how anyone can possibly say "great recovery". Why? The stock improvement is nothing to do with improved performance, just the shorts exiting.
    The only way they will recover is by investing in engineering and putting out some real market leading products.
    01-24-14 01:28 AM
    I still use my Playbook... Not quite as fast as my Z10...but hey...I'm not as fast nowadays either...

Trusted Member Genius
    01-24-14 04:52 AM