title asks it all.
    09-29-10 05:02 PM
    Adobe Air is an application development platform, you can learn more at rich Internet applications | Adobe AIR . Basically it's for those that want to develop using Flash/Flex, or those that want to develop using HTML/JavaScript. On the PlayBook RIM's WebWorks is probably better for HTML/JavaScript development, unless you're looking to have one app which works on multiple platforms. Expect to see it used mostly for Flash/Flex development. I wouldn't get too excited, every developer I know using Flex says it's poorly designed and buggy. Most of the good Air apps are the HTML/JavaScript ones. Air is useful on desktops where HTML/JavaScript can't natively be used to create desktop apps, but as I said, WebWorks makes that functionality redundant.

I'm far more excited about the possibilities for the native SDK with C/C++ support. I don't personally like programming in C/C++, but when performance matters (like gaming) it's the standard. And personal opinions aside, they're popular languages.
    09-29-10 05:09 PM
    ah, thanks, Taylor. so is the gist of it that one can develop apps that don't need a browser to operate in?
    09-29-10 05:11 PM
    Basically that's it. The important difference is that an Air app is entirely local. Air is not just a web browser displaying the app like GMail or Google Maps, it's like a web server and web browser in one (it doesn't actually contain a web server, it's just *like* that).
    09-29-10 05:16 PM
    Basically that's it. The important difference is that an Air app is entirely local. Air is not just a web browser displaying the app like GMail or Google Maps, it's like a web server and web browser in one (it doesn't actually contain a web server, it's just *like* that).
    oh, ok, that explanation cleared up a misunderstanding I had of the purpose of AIR. thanks AGAIN!
    09-29-10 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD