Okay, here's an idea. Go into the device manager in windows (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. It's in the list there)

Look for an unknown device or one with a question mark by it. Open it up, and go to the details tab. In the detail tab you want the "Hardware IDs" drag down. This is what the PB is identifying itself to the system with. I'm guessing it's different then the retail versions. And perhaps if you can map it to the PB driver (It will have to be forced or the INF will need modifying), DM will recognize it and allow a backup and update of the OS.

Everyone here would be REALLY grateful if you could get us a backup of your current system.

If you need some help with this I'd be willing to see what I can do.
    05-22-11 12:02 PM
    DM threw up the unable to communicate with device error, even before the "BlackBerry PlayBook" logo appeared on screen...
    Does it have an update button on the error message?

Last edited by frfghtr; 05-22-11 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added pic
    05-22-11 12:03 PM
    Lol.. return it to who? RIM?

I'm thinking that may not go so well, and is likely to raise quite a few questions.
    Poster didn't clarified where he got it in his original post. Would be awkward if he didn't get it in the "regular" channel... LOL
    05-22-11 12:49 PM
    Does it have an update button on the error message?

Yep. it does. I pressed that button last night before I went to bed. This morning when i woke up, about 9 hours later, it was still showing the "Please wait..." dialog box with the little pulsing gradient bar...
    05-22-11 01:15 PM
    Okay, here's an idea. Go into the device manager in windows (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. It's in the list there)

Look for an unknown device or one with a question mark by it. Open it up, and go to the details tab. In the detail tab you want the "Hardware IDs" drag down. This is what the PB is identifying itself to the system with. I'm guessing it's different then the retail versions. And perhaps if you can map it to the PB driver (It will have to be forced or the INF will need modifying), DM will recognize it and allow a backup and update of the OS.

Everyone here would be REALLY grateful if you could get us a backup of your current system.

Hrm. it shows up under "Network Adapters" as a "Research In Motion Network Device"
    05-22-11 01:18 PM
    so here's a pic of the DM screen after i plug my playbook in.
    05-22-11 01:22 PM

hardware IDs shows:
    USB\VID_0FCA&PID_8010&REV_001&MI_00
    USB\VID_0FCA&PID_8010&MI_00
    05-22-11 01:26 PM
    I think you're frakked. That baby ain't updating... but hey at least you get to play Quake!
    05-22-11 01:28 PM
    LoL. i tried it, couldn't figure out how to move or shoot or anything.
    05-22-11 01:29 PM
    Wonder how if you can find a way to plug in the boot strap to your pc?
    05-22-11 01:42 PM
    Well, i only got it yesterday, and it came with Quake on it...

my buddy who gave it to me as an early b-day present use to work for RIM, and had several beta units. this one was the last one he got before it went retail. You can see in the pics that the Settings interface looks a bit different than the retail version, fewer categories, and from watching all the Playbook tutorials online, some of the options they say should be available, are not.
    Nice of your buddy to give you stolen goods as a birthday present, you should thank him if you also get arrested as an additional present.

So...I'm kinda stuck now. If i could download the 1.0.3.1868 update, maybe there's a way i could "sideload" it? I mean, it works right now, but it'd be nice to have access to the AppWorld, and be able to load stuff like books and music on it.
    The odds are that they will have controls on any hardware labelled as beta so that it either expires after a certain amount of time or has to be on their internal network when it is upgraded so that they can maintain control over who has such hardware.
    05-22-11 02:31 PM
    Nice of your buddy to give you stolen goods as a birthday present, you should thank him if you also get arrested as an additional present.

The odds are that they will have controls on any hardware labelled as beta so that it either expires after a certain amount of time or has to be on their internal network when it is upgraded so that they can maintain control over who has such hardware.
    Well, I did help him dispose of that hooker's body in Costa Rica a few years back....

(j/k)

And yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well, that there must be some hard-coded restrictions on this version of the OS to stop people from going off the reservation with it. Thinkin' I might just give it back to him and he can hook me up with a $500 bestbuy gift card or something. Or maybe a real nice Keurig single-cup coffee brewer....

ooh, maybe i can sell it...
    Last edited by Aahzman; 05-22-11 at 07:41 PM. Reason: edit.
    05-22-11 06:38 PM
    so what ive experienced so far has been very impressive. the touchpad will hae to really wow me for me to buy one instead of a playbook... love theform factor, thelook and feel f qnx, it just rocks.
    05-23-11 07:27 PM
    Is there a sticker on the back that lists a bunch of info, like hardware rev, build, etc.?
    05-24-11 05:02 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD