...but when i click on "check for updates" under the "about" tab in settings, even though I'm connected to the net via wifi, it says "unable to connect to server"...

blackberry desktop software doesn't recognize it...won't update it...

anybody know where i might download the 1.0.3.1868 update to do a manual push?
    05-21-11 01:08 PM
    Did you try updating desktop manager and connecting via usb?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 06:09 PM
    don't worry mate
    we ALL got beta unit. you are not alone.
    once you worked out the setup, and get it running, it will still be a beta
    05-21-11 06:32 PM
    Yea but whoever had a beta unit and was actually testing the PB should be smakked in the back of the neck .. hard
    05-21-11 06:34 PM
    Yea but whoever had a beta unit and was actually testing the PB should be smakked in the back of the neck .. hard
    As I said yesterday - the beta tester, all one of him/her, loved having 1,000 Browser Bookmarks in a non-sortable, non-organizational list. It is just so elegant that there was never any question about providing folders or other tools to deal with it.
    05-21-11 07:05 PM
    thanks guys. :-) i'll see if i can get the desktop software to update.

This thing is so beta, it's got a physical "bootstrap" ribbon cable sticking out of the case....
    05-21-11 07:15 PM
    thanks guys. :-) i'll see if i can get the desktop software to update.

This thing is so beta, it's got a physical "bootstrap" ribbon cable sticking out of the case....
    i'll go ahead and say it. Pics or it didn't happen.
    05-21-11 08:32 PM
    Gmail was beta for YEARS but nobody complained.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-22-11 at 05:44 PM.
    05-21-11 09:45 PM
    For you people having issues and calling it a "beta" device, what the heck are you people doing? I have absolutely no problems with my PlayBook and it has actually replaced my laptop. I really think most of the people having issues are really having user issues, not device issues.
    05-21-11 10:47 PM
    Here's some pics. as you can see, it's very close to the production model that went retail, minus the Blackberry name on the bottom edge of the front bezel.
    05-21-11 11:15 PM
    What does the battery icon say. Time left?
    05-21-11 11:23 PM
    For you people having issues and calling it a "beta" device, what the heck are you people doing? I have absolutely no problems with my PlayBook and it has actually replaced my laptop. I really think most of the people having issues are really having user issues, not device issues.
    well, i can't see it ever REPLACING my quad-core gaming laptop, but i can see it getting some serious love if i can ever update the damn thing.

especially when they drop a good ePub reader for it (which the majority of my 10,000 ebook collection is in).

Livin' life connected.
    05-21-11 11:41 PM
    What does the battery icon say. Time left?
    when unplugged, at 100% it says 6hrs remaining. plugged in, it says 1092hrs 15minutes.
    05-21-11 11:50 PM
    hey howd you get quake?
    i wonder if that can be dumped so we can sideload it
    05-22-11 12:08 AM
    why did everything half baked is called beta? instead of alpha or gama or anything else?
    when unplugged, at 100% it says 6hrs remaining. plugged in, it says 1092hrs 15minutes.<<<--- most of playbook can stay more than an hour in 0% charge. one of the firsts in consumer electronics. only available from professional grade tablet.
    hahaa
    05-22-11 01:46 AM
    when unplugged, at 100% it says 6hrs remaining. plugged in, it says 1092hrs 15minutes.
    Maybe you should return it and get another one? It shouldn't have that strap hanging out back. It doesn't have the tethering option on that side menu which looks nothing like mine and the back looks kinda beatened up. The BB logo should be still pretty shiny silver on your's it looked like the paint is coming off.
    Last edited by Snick Snack; 05-22-11 at 01:59 AM.
    05-22-11 01:56 AM
    Maybe you should return it and get another one? It shouldn't have that strap hanging out back. It doesn't have the tethering option on that side menu which looks nothing like mine and the back looks kinda beatened up. The BB logo should be still pretty shiny silver on your's it looked like the paint is coming off.
    Lol.. return it to who? RIM?

I'm thinking that may not go so well, and is likely to raise quite a few questions.
    05-22-11 03:38 AM
    I would love to see where that ribbon connects on the pcb.. Can you get DM to recognize it at all and grab a backup from it? Might be able to pull quake out of there...
    05-22-11 03:49 AM
    I would love to see where that ribbon connects on the pcb.. Can you get DM to recognize it at all and grab a backup from it? Might be able to pull quake out of there...

When I was at BlackBerry World I asked the same thing, in the TAT video you can *just barely* see the cable on the right hand side of the PlayBook but of course, I never got a direct answer. But, I do know that PlayBook in the video had a ton of cool stuff on it, it even had app folders and a bunch of not-yet-released apps. Can't comment on those though, Kevin, Adam and I weren't shown them, I just happened to notice them.
    05-22-11 03:56 AM
    i wish there's a way to dump the current OS and keep it.. as you never know how it might help unlock the full potential of the PB in the future.

however if it was me, i'd force a debrick update through the desktop manager (fire up DM, completely power off the PB, plug it in, and power it up)
    the desktop manager should download and load up the latest available software which should make your PB identical to all the others (well except for the ribbon cable sticking out)
    05-22-11 05:08 AM
    why did everything half baked is called beta? instead of alpha or gama or anything else?
    when unplugged, at 100% it says 6hrs remaining. plugged in, it says 1092hrs 15minutes.<<<--- most of playbook can stay more than an hour in 0% charge. one of the firsts in consumer electronics. only available from professional grade tablet.
    hahaa
    You can put all the smileys on it you want -- the 'half-baked' and 'beta' cracks are old and tired. Seriously.
    05-22-11 06:16 AM
    Thnx. There was reviewer's pic that showed that stat and some here thought it was a photoshop. Verifies the pic was legit and the unit was a beta.
    05-22-11 08:47 AM
    Well, i only got it yesterday, and it came with Quake on it...

my buddy who gave it to me as an early b-day present use to work for RIM, and had several beta units. this one was the last one he got before it went retail. You can see in the pics that the Settings interface looks a bit different than the retail version, fewer categories, and from watching all the Playbook tutorials online, some of the options they say should be available, are not.

Will try a cold connection "debricking" thingy as per above.

Oh, and the BB logo on the back isn't peeling, that was just some adhesive from the tape that was holding the bootstrap ribbon cable down. it's actually in very good shape physically, no scratches or dings at all.

Hrm. ok, powered down, plugged in the usb cable, DM just gives the same error.

"Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicated with the connected device. If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click retry to attempt to reconnect once the device reboots. If clicking Retry doesn't connect the device, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to update your Blackberry Device Software to correct the problem." three buttons, "Retry" "Update" "Cancel". Retry just refreshes the error, update brings up an "Checking for Blackberry Device Software Updates" dialog with a "Please wait..." status bar. I let that run last night for about 9 hours, with no results.

So...I'm kinda stuck now. If i could download the 1.0.3.1868 update, maybe there's a way i could "sideload" it? I mean, it works right now, but it'd be nice to have access to the AppWorld, and be able to load stuff like books and music on it.
    05-22-11 09:01 AM
    You have to power on the device while connected to the latest Windows version of the desktop manager to get the debrick option. It is at the initial stages of the boot that the desktop manager offers up the reload software or debrick option.

Robert
    05-22-11 09:15 AM
    Well, I installed DM yesterday from the BlackBerry website, so I hope they've got the latest version up there, and there were no updates for it, so I think I'm up to date on that.

With the device cold/powered down, and DM running, I plugged in the usb cable, which prompted the device to start to boot up. After the red status light lit up, DM threw up the unable to communicate with device error, even before the "BlackBerry PlayBook" logo appeared on screen...
    05-22-11 09:23 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD