I have a BD drive, AnyDVD HD and Handbrake. I somewhat understand how to use Handbrake, but no idea how to use Bluray with it. I really need a step by step how to prepare the file before i attempt to transcode it with Handbrake. I understand this may take almost a whole day to do. I do have a Quadcore CPU. I am willing to use other Programs if they are easier, but only if they are free.

I know peoplewill ask why Bluray is necessary. 1. HDMI out Demo material. 2. Most of my newer movies I only have on Bluray.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 09:46 AM
    The way I did it, which may not be optimal to you is to use AnyDVD HD to make an ISO file copy of the blu-ray to my PC hard drive (this can be 'played' as if it is a real blu-ray by my home theater PC). So I have a library of ISOs that I can watch on my home theater setup.

For the Playbook, I installed a front-end for Handbrake called Vidcoder. I use the free program Virtual Clone Drive (from the makers of AnyDVD) to 'mount' the ISO as a virtual drive.

Then I set the input for Vidcoder to the virtual drive (it gets a drive letter like a real drive). I use the Ipad settings for the output (because both IPad and Playbook have a screen width of 1024 pixels)

Once you have AnyDVD HD, Virtual Clone Drive, Handbrake, Vidcoder it is actually quite simple (and maybe it can be even simpler with tweaking the process):

1. Make ISO with AnyDVD HD
    2. Mount the ISO using Virtual Clone Drive
    3. In Vidcoder, set input to the virtual drive, output setting to Ipad

Wait a few hours for it to transcode (depending on your PC performance), and you're done! (you can also delete the ISO if you have no further use for it, since it is quite large ~ 30 GB)

It may work with another input format than ISO (which could eliminate the Virtual Clone Drive step). It may also work directly from Handbrake, which would eliminate the need for Vidcoder (but both of these programs are free).
    Last edited by MisterMe11; 04-28-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: clarify
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-28-11 10:14 AM
    Awesome! Thanks. Glad to hear its relatively simple. I hope to give it a try in the next couple days.

Edit: What setting should I use if I want to keep 1080p for the HDMI out instead of iPad resolution? Like a "Native" or something? Haven't used that program before.

04-28-11 10:18 AM
    There is probably a 'native' resolution output. I'm on my work PC now, but can check it later.
    04-28-11 10:26 AM
    I have a BD drive, AnyDVD HD and Handbrake. I somewhat understand how to use Handbrake, but no idea how to use Bluray with it. I really need a step by step how to prepare the file before i attempt to transcode it with Handbrake. I understand this may take almost a whole day to do. I do have a Quadcore CPU. I am willing to use other Programs if they are easier, but only if they are free.

I know peoplewill ask why Bluray is necessary. 1. HDMI out Demo material. 2. Most of my newer movies I only have on Bluray.

Its really not that hard to get a blu-ray from the disk to an h.264 codec in an mp4 container on your harddrive (which will work on a PB). Use DVD Fab, the DVD decrypter portion of the software is free (as you requested). Open the movie in DVD Fab, choose blu-ray copy in the menu on the left, I would just rip the main movie for the PB. Choose a location to save the file. This should only take around 30 minutes on a quad core i7 Intel chip for example. If you go to the location you saved the blu-ray, you'll see a folder, go into the folder until you find a folder called streams. There you should find a m2ts file. You can load this file into Handbreak and convert it to whatever codec/container you want. You're definitly going to want to dial down the bit-rate in Handbreak and try to get the file down to a more managable size. The main movie file on a blu-ray can be anywhere from 20 - 30 gb. You do this on the video tab, i think the default setting is 20. My recomedation would be to downconvert the file to 720p and maintain the bit-rate with a video setting of 16-17. This will give you a file size of 5-8 gb. You're call though. The encoding will take 2-3 hours on an i7, for example. Good luck
    Last edited by jponte55; 04-28-11 at 10:49 AM.
    04-28-11 10:43 AM
    see also videohelp.com for more howtos that you probably have time to read
    04-28-11 10:48 AM
    as to me ,leawo ble ray ripper is a effictive tool for this job,i could rip bluray and dvd to any foramt i wanna. moreover, you can choose the "PB" option to convert you video quiker. this is the link which you could donwload it: BD Converters
    02-27-12 01:37 AM
    would like to try this but i don't have that many dvds lieing around.will need to rent some from netflix or something and then convert them to playable format.will see if im up for the task.would love to enjoy streaming onto a hd/plasma screen after conversion.
    02-27-12 02:12 AM
    I just got a PB. Now I can really test the waters. Last year I started encoding video for the PB from bluray. My testers reported that the further past 720 I went the buggier the playback. I would set resolution to the resolution of the PB. I set my bitrate to have a 700mb so with Ac3 audio I'd have a 1gb file. Most my testers didn't have a megaupload account. Plus 1gb is faster to DL so they could get me results.
    I'll post my settings if anybody wants. I'm starting a library for downloading.
    02-27-12 10:14 AM
    I just got a PB. Now I can really test the waters. Last year I started encoding video for the PB from bluray. My testers reported that the further past 720 I went the buggier the playback. I would set resolution to the resolution of the PB. I set my bitrate to have a 700mb so with Ac3 audio I'd have a 1gb file. Most my testers didn't have a megaupload account. Plus 1gb is faster to DL so they could get me results.
    I'll post my settings if anybody wants. I'm starting a library for downloading.
    Please post your settings. I'm currently starting to convert my blu rays also but my files are 3-5 gbs and would like to keep them smaller.
    02-27-12 10:39 AM
    download FREEMAKE, has playbook settings built in. open bluray file or .mkv inside freemake and convert to playbook format(.mp4)
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-27-12 12:20 PM
    download FREEMAKE, has playbook settings built in. open bluray file or .mkv inside freemake and convert to playbook format(.mp4)
    And the stew steps in to add the icing on the cake
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-27-12 01:22 PM
    DVD Decrypter and Freemake are the easiest methods and they are... FREEEEEEEE!
    02-27-12 01:54 PM
    see also videohelp.com for more howtos that you probably have time to read
    that is where i go for everything!
    02-27-12 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD