Last night at the hockey game I was asked no less then 6 times where I was able to get that iPad mini. I. Was doing my usual blog /article on the game, and what is more humorous is that I sit next to this group every freaking single game. I am always using my playbook to do my work. It has never been a topic of conversation before.

BTW, everyone loved it. The apple dudes were even cool about it. I am kind of a bit jealous of the Apple infrastructure, but I love the rim hardware.

I set my playbook on an iPad, hoping maybe a hibred would result.

I am waiting for a month to see if a playpad shows up .
    Last edited by canuck_67; 10-28-12 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Grammer. Lol
    10-28-12 12:52 PM
    I got a person who I sold a 16GB PB to instruct his little ones to call the PlayBook a PlayBook and not an ipad
    Ben1232 and bitek like this.
    10-28-12 01:22 PM
    First it was "Is that a Kindle Fire?" and now it's "Is that an iPad mini?"
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-28-12 01:38 PM
    Say "Why yes it is" and tell them they are sold at Best Buy and Futureshop with the codename "BlackBerry PlayBook"
    10-28-12 01:40 PM
    First it was "Is that a Kindle Fire?" and now it's "Is that an iPad mini?"
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
    eddy_berry and Bobert_123 like this.
    10-28-12 01:45 PM
    With the great new features of BB Bridge, I have switched from using the phone over to the PB for my digital boarding passes (via SMS). The airport security & airline gate people almost always take a 2nd look when I hand over the PB with a larger boarding pass displayed, to be scanned. And because I have it in the case with the mini keyboard and have previously answered 'no' to the "do you have a laptop?" question, some of them look at it a bit closer, wondering what it is. I would say that over 50% of the time they are surprised to hear that it is a BlackBerry tablet. I tell them to check the PB's out at the iStore, which is the name of the electronics shop that is inside most departure gate areas in Canadian airports. Though the name for the store is almost certainly intentional to make people think of Apple, there are all brands in there and always a couple of PB's on demo display.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-28-12 03:29 PM
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
    Only tech-heads care about specs. Average consumers want apps.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Bla1ze, Umedon, mikeo007 and 8 others like this.
    10-28-12 04:31 PM
    No one says MacDonald food are nutritious yet millions eat them everyday.

10-28-12 04:42 PM
    Last night at the hockey game I was asked no less then 6 times where I was able to get that iPad mini. I. Was doing my usual blog /article on the game, and what is more humorous is that I sit next to this group every freaking single game. I am always using my playbook to do my work. It has never been a topic of conversation before.

BTW, everyone loved it. The apple dudes were even cool about it. I am kind of a bit jealous of the Apple infrastructure, but I love the rim hardware.

I set my playbook on an iPad, hoping maybe a hibred would result.

I am waiting for a month to see if a playpad shows up .

Last edited by canuck_67; Today at 10:53 AM. Reason: Grammer. Lol
    Now you can edit for spelling! (sorry, couldn't resist)
    10-28-12 04:46 PM
    Then you are saying those who buy iPhones and iPads are average consumers? What does that make the 20+ million consumers who bought a Galaxy S3?
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-28-12 05:11 PM
    I would tell yes and that it was a present but it is so bad you are taking it back.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-28-12 05:16 PM

True, but they are household names due to marketing. You not going to know about something that's not brought to your attention.
    10-28-12 05:20 PM
    Appearance isn't everything. What happens if you convince someone to purchase a playbook instead of an ipad mini "because they look the same" when they get home and they're trying to install Skype or Netflix?
    10-28-12 05:41 PM
    Say "Why yes it is" and tell them they are sold at Best Buy and Futureshop with the codename "BlackBerry PlayBook"
    That's funny. I usually tell them yes, but I bought it refurbished. They had to replace the name.
    Berzons likes this.
    10-28-12 06:07 PM
    Then you are saying those who buy iPhones and iPads are average consumers? What does that make the 20+ million consumers who bought a Galaxy S3?
    Do you really think those folks would have purchased those devices if the popular apps were unavailable?

Yes, I would consider iPhone and SG3 owners to be "average consumers" of smartphones. Early adopters (who tend to be tech-heads) might not care if popular apps are not available yet, but the average consumer wants whatever apps happen to be popular.
    10-28-12 06:09 PM
    Do you really think those folks would have purchased those devices if the popular apps were unavailable?

Yes, I would consider iPhone and SG3 owners to be "average consumers" of smartphones. Early adopters (who tend to be tech-heads) might not care if popular apps are not available yet, but the average consumer wants whatever apps happen to be popular.
    But those apps are available on the Apple products. Yet they still went for the high-tech Galaxy S3.
    10-28-12 06:13 PM
    True, but they are household names due to marketing. You not going to know about something that's not brought to your attention.
    And that's the sad part about it. Personally I knew about the Playbook because I've been a Crackberryhead since 2009 and heard about it in here. I think I saw maybe 2 Playbook commercials when they first came out. RIM did a very poor job of marketing the Playbook.
    10-28-12 06:15 PM
    And that's the sad part about it. Personally I knew about the Playbook because I've been a Crackberryhead since 2009 and heard about it in here. I think I saw maybe 2 Playbook commercials when they first came out. RIM did a very poor job of marketing the Playbook.
    Agree... RIM could have done more with marketing the PB. Hope they do good with BB 10...
    10-28-12 06:44 PM
    Appearance isn't everything. What happens if you convince someone to purchase a playbook instead of an ipad mini "because they look the same" when they get home and they're trying to install Skype or Netflix?
    They will realize the playbook is way much better and not care about declining netflix and soon to be microsoft skype!!!! Take the blinders off man there is more to the world than a couple of apps!!!!
    10-28-12 07:00 PM
    ordinary users may not understand specs but the understand performance and get frustrated with mediocre hardware . This is where the PB shines, the KF is a hollow shell and the forthcoming iPad Mini has antique hardware with legions of zombie apps
    10-28-12 07:30 PM

Wrong. Average consumers follow what's popular and on demand. This is called consumerist hype. Also, female consumers care about it just the same as about having a nice bag to display while walking on the street. No more, no less.

Apps? Yeah, maybe a small percentage. I do not think more than 20% of average consumers are using Skype.
    10-28-12 07:36 PM
    I live in a world where I don't care who knows I have a Blackberry tablet. I'm very happy knowing I have Bridge, Flash, SMS over Bridge, and a couple other things I can do with the Playbook. I don't argue anymore, nor do I correct those that think my tablet is a Kindle or (now) an iPad mini. I don't say anything. I just come home and tell my wife about the encounter, then brag to her about how many people I responded to on SMS with my Playbook that day
    john_v and cutexoxo like this.
    10-28-12 09:55 PM
    What really matters is the "usefulness" of the device... iPad or iPhone still emerging because people find them "useful", while latest Android devices races with specs - and this attract croud... but sooner, if Apple will not race with the specs, they will find themselves at the second rank place because everyday, Android devices are catching up with the "usefulness" criteria... the "gap" is getting smaller...

That is why I believe that RIM should race with these two criteria i.e."usefulness" and "specs" if they still want to be relevant and competitive...
    10-28-12 10:10 PM
    Wrong. Average consumers follow what's popular and on demand. This is called consumerist hype. Also, female consumers care about it just the same as about having a nice bag to display while walking on the street. No more, no less.

Apps? Yeah, maybe a small percentage. I do not think more than 20% of average consumers are using Skype.
    +1. Most females are clueless when it comes to this stuff, yet they want to discard their archiac iphone 4s at the first chance as to not look like they have the spring 2012 prada collection on. No more than a fashion accesory.
    10-29-12 01:38 AM
    Too funny the tech-heads who think its all about apps. Go talk to the average user. They will say apps are important but they barely use them. Great marketing campaign by apple. RIM is poised to win the app game anyways. They've made it so when you are developing for Android, ios or HTML5 you are still developing for BB. Pretty genius. Kinda funny how Apple was pushing HTML5 and RIM has now taken the torch (or I guess they acquired the torch and made the flame burn brighter). ipad mini is running an ancient operating system that isn't scalable and is on its last legs. Great third party software, but its all portable to BB10. Innovate or die, and right now apples not able to innovate. Combination of being to big, stagnant and fat and happy, plus I seriously don't think they have the minds to do it. Jobs is gone and even in the recent past when he was there they didnt come out with anything groud breaking or new. Just borrowed concepts, minor upgrades and speck bumps. Seriously. 3.5", 9.7", 4.0", 7.9", and some how the user experience on 7" isn't good, yet they now have Phones and Ipods on the same operating system less then 7". Baffles my mind. They need and will take a hit, and I just hope they get back to their roots and comeout with some truely unique stuff. Big problem here is theres no more steve jobs, and if you'll ask any apple fan, hes the only way you can ever turn around a company.
    10-29-12 02:57 AM
56 123