10-10-12 02:24 PM
111 ... 345
tools
    Outdated OS , bad marketing and better options elsewhere.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-31-12 11:19 PM
    In the UK as soon as you walk in to a store the sales person just goes on and on and on about iPads. My dad was in wanting to buy a Playbook after using mine one weekend, even though he asked for the Playbook and the exact model the salesman spent the whole time trying to tell him it was a really bad idea buying one and he should instead pay 250 more on an iPad!
    10-08-12 08:51 AM
    Playbook hasn't caught on because there are simply too many hoops to jump through to get it to do what you want, compared to other tablets. It lacks out-of-the-box capability, and lacks the apps that most people use regularly.

That's really all it comes down to. Playbook simply makes it harder on you to do what you want in comparison to other tablets.

Even if RIM could somehow even the score, they would simply be bringing the Playbook up to par with others. That alone would not gain them any new customers. They have to equal and then exceed.

It's been what.. almost a year and a half now since the Playbook came out, and it still is the 'poor man's tablet'?

RIM needs to step it up, badly.

*note to RIM: charging rape prices for an LTE Playbook is not going to win you any fans. Good luck selling those tablets at that price.

This pretty much sums it up. The Playbook struggles to be functional many days because the OS stinks in comparison with what is out there. This device is how old and we are still waiting for a high end OS? I've had this thing since day 1 and still my wifi connection on the PB has to be removed and re-added once a week because it just stops working. Mind you it never stops working on my laptop, PS3 or 2 smartphones connected to the same network. I still can't delete that piece of junk game "scribbles" without being told in a day that there is an upgrade available - why can't I just delete. Seemingly simple issues, perhaps, but they speak of an amateur product. Maybe 2.1 will get us closer to salvation but it won't get us to salvation... RIM simply isn't good enough to lead the tablet parade.

No one can honestly say it hasn't been work to own a Playbook... if I didn't love this POS I would have thrown it out a window long ago.
    10-08-12 09:20 AM
    The OS has caught up and has really matured....

1) Browser is faster
    2) Bridge is more stable
    3) We have email now!
    4) Waaaaaaay, I mean waaaaaaaaaaaaay more apps available now as opposed to launch.
    5) Guaranteed to be rocking the latest and hottest OS in the tech world in just a few months

BUT

No one knows...

Average Joes don't search forums and stay up with BlackBerry happenings. When was the last time you saw a PlayBook commercial........ If ever?

I rest my case.
    EXCEPT
    - the vast majority of users don't use bridge
    - email still does not work in the native app where there is very poor IMAP support
    - the app system is still pitiful; the availability of Android apps barely saves the PB
    10-08-12 08:27 PM
    Was wondering this myself as the playbook was one of the first devices to be a 7 inch tablet running a non phone OS. However it has been lukewarm both critically and lukewarm despite having a somewhat cult following.
    One word, ignorance.

Ignorance on the consumers part, ignorance on BlackBerry's part.

But honestly what does it matter? Units are being placed in hand now and this lost leader tablet is doing it's job by wowing owners and compelling them to tout it's merits.
    10-08-12 08:51 PM
    No one can honestly say it hasn't been work to own a Playbook...
    I can. Never had an issue since day one, not even on OS 2.0.1 But maybe I don't treat my devices like the second coming of Christ.
    island par likes this.
    10-08-12 09:01 PM
    I would jsut like to point out that i have out 5 playbooks out of store shelves one of them being mine.
    10-10-12 01:15 PM
    It's al media related and the inability of the public to do anything on a portable device without an App.
    10-10-12 01:16 PM
    Outdated OS?????
    10-10-12 01:37 PM
    Mostly because of branding. When a company, especially for tech company has been given a bad reputation on their products, the brand image will be damaged for a very very long time. It seems like the only way to get out of it is to push out a new product / phone / OS and most importantly, marketing strategy. For a PB to be selling around $119 or so, it's easily one of the best valued tablet you can find. Nevermind the lack of apps or OS... those things are just secondary. How many time when you mention RIM or playbook and your friend will tell you that it sucks? Funny thing is that they probably haven't even tried or ever owned a PB or any BB device. In contrast, take apple iphone for example, even the naive map sucked how many people will actually mention about apple iphone being a failed product? How many times did apple re-cycled their products from ipod to iphone to iphone and still making record sale? OS or apps are just one of the reasons, but not the main one. It's perception... I also read an article stated that RIM spends more on R&D than apple. In the end, apple is selling a lifestyle, whereas RIM is selling a product. Unfortunately, it appears that RIM not only need to have a new, better product, but also a better brand image.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/10/res...pple-inc-aapl/
    cman5 likes this.
    10-10-12 02:05 PM
    The playbook was originally a dependant device. People saw it as being intentionally crippled without the phone, instead of being enhanced by it. if it had been portrayed (and been) a fully realized tablet on its own feet from the get go they would own this segment of the market. As it was promoed by RIM it was a very expensive accessory
    cman5 likes this.
    10-10-12 02:24 PM
111 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD