I think you can make an educated guess based on every store selling out, sales being pulled from Play as they couldn't keep up with demand, etc, etc. The Nexus has sold like hotcakes.

Or they never made enough to begin with...........
    08-24-12 11:04 PM
    Or they never made enough to begin with...........
    ...seems to me that the tablet exceeding even its makers estimated demand would support the hypothesis that the Nexus is selling incredibly well, not disprove it....
    08-24-12 11:15 PM
    Was wondering this myself as the playbook was one of the first devices to be a 7 inch tablet running a non phone OS. However it has been lukewarm both critically and lukewarm despite having a somewhat cult following.

So why is it that now this year the 7 inch form factor has boomed with so many other guys being successful with it as well as other others annoucing products in that form factor?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    It does not have much market presence. RIM does not seem to be really trying to sell them. No marketing that I have seen. I have not heard of any carriers selling them in the states. Another factor is that many see RIM as a has-been. They are not cool any more.

Heins and company will have to do a lot of things right to restore Rim's status in the customer's eyes with the 10.
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 08-25-12 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
    08-24-12 11:22 PM
    All down to drinking the big gallon of crapple koolaid and not realizing how amazing this device is. But instead of typing on here for it seems like the millionth time and already know someone will come on here and say the ipad toy is better anyways, I will leave this opinion one more time then go and watch a video I copied to my playbook from my computer over wifi on my big screen tv through the HDMI port at 1080p quality. And yes the playbook does do that.
    It's not about drinking Koolaid. Rim released a tablet with very minimum selling points...No email, no apps, no support= no buy in consumers eyes.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 11:25 PM
    ...seems to me that the tablet exceeding even its makers estimated demand would support the hypothesis that the Nexus is selling incredibly well, not disprove it....
    There are threads from fellow Canadian crackberry forum members that they travel to several retail stores in Canada and not able to find a single 4G Playbook --- so they must be selling like hotcakes.

(1) If the actual sales numbers are --- wait for it --- semi-decent, Google would have hyped their numbers. That's how the real world works --- PR people will spin even half-decent sales figures.

(2) Kindle Fire sales figures drop like a rock after less than 2 full quarters.

So the conclusion is that Google ain't selling enough Nexus for them to send their PR people to hype their numbers. And even if the numbers are decent, history has told us that none of the non-ipad tablets sales figure last beyond the initial hype.
    08-25-12 12:34 AM
    There are threads from fellow Canadian crackberry forum members that they travel to several retail stores in Canada and not able to find a single 4G Playbook --- so they must be selling like hotcakes.

(1) If the actual sales numbers are --- wait for it --- semi-decent, Google would have hyped their numbers. That's how the real world works --- PR people will spin even half-decent sales figures.

(2) Kindle Fire sales figures drop like a rock after less than 2 full quarters.

So the conclusion is that Google ain't selling enough Nexus for them to send their PR people to hype their numbers. And even if the numbers are decent, history has told us that none of the non-ipad tablets sales figure last beyond the initial hype.
    I was starting to write out a long response but then I realized why bother? I don't care about the sales of the google nexus. I'm guessing you don't either. But I have to say this: You can't really be comparing stores not stocking the 4g version of a year and a half old flop of a tablet to stores selling out of a heavily hyped, well reviewed, brand spanking new google device, are you? I think even you have to admit that's silly.
    08-25-12 01:08 AM
    Marketing. That's pretty much it.
    yaytoast likes this.
    08-25-12 01:47 AM
    Hmm i agree about the sales persons not wanting to actually sell the item. Thats why i always do my own Reaserch online before i go out and commit to buying something. here in the uk however the price of the playbook was considerably low. Compared to the ipad and because i have a blackberry phone myself it was a no brainer to go and get the playbook.
    Plus i am over welled with my PlayBook it is great i had the ipad and the playbook side by side and i could tell the playbook was just right for me, and now with the new OS coming out very soon (i hope) it will truly be a tablet to be rekond with.
    08-25-12 05:08 AM
    You only get one chance to make a first impression most times. Regardless of what may have been done afterwards to fix it, the general public will always remember the PlayBook for launching without native PIM and email client, and without a quality app catalogue...all at the $5-700 price point.

Instead of seeing it as a really good piece of tech available for a great price, the perception is that it's something so bad they had to slash the prices to get it selling. As opposed to something like the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 that launched at the $200 price point.
    Laura Knotek, bodjor and cman5 like this.
    08-25-12 09:58 AM
    apps and marketing. I love my playbook but it basically had next to no apps for close to a year and it was fairly expensive for most of it's life span.
    cman5 likes this.
    08-25-12 02:32 PM
    I was starting to write out a long response but then I realized why bother? I don't care about the sales of the google nexus. I'm guessing you don't either. But I have to say this: You can't really be comparing stores not stocking the 4g version of a year and a half old flop of a tablet to stores selling out of a heavily hyped, well reviewed, brand spanking new google device, are you? I think even you have to admit that's silly.
    There is no difference between RIM selling the Playbook at $200, Amazon selling the Kindle Fire at $200 and Google selling the Nexus 7 at $200.

The Playbook and the Kindle Fire have both been declared sales duds now. It would be silly for people to argue that suddenly Google is selling the Nexus 7 like hotcakes.

The fact is that there are NO non-ipad tablet winners. People see tons of stores stocking Samsung tablets --- guess what? Lenovo flatly stated that Samsung stuff their channel and Samsung only sold 20,000 tablets out of the 2 million unit shipped --- and Lenovo has been proven to be correct with all the court documents in the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuit.

(1) People see a lot of x brand tablets in store --- they are stuffing the channel --- all sales duds.
    (2) People don't see a lot of x brand tablets in store --- retail stores aren't stuffing the channel --- all sales duds as well.

Doesn't matter how you look at it --- all non-ipad tablets are sales duds.
    08-25-12 02:55 PM
    It will be interesting to see how the Apple victory over Samsung affects RIM and the PlayBook. New York Times article is already citing it as a victory for Microsoft mobile ,which up until now was considered a dead platform. Now that Android and it's devices will have to bend over backwards to avoid Apple patent violations it could have an interesting effect on RIM. The iPad Mini has yet to be seen. New 7 inch tablets seem to be Hot for a month or two and then fade. Samsung is already scrambling to re design their devices that were set to be released this fall. Hopefully BB10 and the Google /Android- Apple wars will bode well for RIM and the PlayBook. No one could ever acuse a BlackBerry for looking like an iPhone!
    08-25-12 03:53 PM
    All down to drinking the big gallon of crapple koolaid and not realizing how amazing this device is. But instead of typing on here for it seems like the millionth time and already know someone will come on here and say the ipad toy is better anyways, I will leave this opinion one more time then go and watch a video I copied to my playbook from my computer over wifi on my big screen tv through the HDMI port at 1080p quality. And yes the playbook does do that.
    Cool, I'm doing the same thing with my iPad, except I don't need an HDMI cable.
    08-25-12 04:36 PM
    I dunno I remember a ton of marketing when it was launched and seeing a few commericals earlier this year as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    08-25-12 04:39 PM
    It hasn't caught on because rim hasn't improved it enough for it to find a niche. There arent enough features and main stream apps that draw consumer attention. Outside of bridging to a blackberry, nothing as of yet stands out enough with this device to warrant the choice. Most of us are still hanging on to the hope that all the backlog of promises get made good.

No you arent. The ipad cant play any of its content directly to outside sources.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-25-12 at 06:58 PM.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-25-12 06:55 PM
    It hasn't caught on because rim hasn't improved it enough for it to find a niche. There arent enough features and main stream apps that draw consumer attention. Outside of bridging to a blackberry, nothing as of yet stands out enough with this device to warrant the choice. Most of us are still hanging on to the hope that all the backlog of promises get made good.
    But it's not like having netflix on the Kindle Fire is going to make the Kindle Fire a hit --- it is still being declared a sales dud after 1.5 quarter.
    08-25-12 07:54 PM
    No you arent. The ipad cant play any of its content directly to outside sources.
    I stand corrected I'm accomplishing the same end result from my iPad.
    08-25-12 08:04 PM
    Answer was given in post #32... How did you guys miss it?

Surely you wouldn't mind posting a picture of this, would you? Maybe a tutorial, so other iPad users could benefit from this ability?

EDIT:
    No but you need apple tv at the oh so expensive price of 100 dollars.

Give me the playbook and the ten dollar HDMI cable and i am easily 390 dollars richer and enjoying better quality and more freedom with my device.

Nvm posting the pics and tutorial. This explains it, although the math does seem a bit off. ^^
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-25-12 at 10:44 PM.
    08-25-12 08:18 PM
    I think the reasons It hasn't caught on is first being the introduction price of $499, that is a lot of money for a tablet of a new platform and little to no app ecosystem on launch.

Playbook certainly had some promising features, however not enough for consumers to consider one when the iPad has a larger screen, more apps & is priced the same..

Probably a combination of things, but I think If they had started at a lower price point & maybe paid companies like Netflix to produce popular applications for the Playbook, it may have done a lot better..

I love the Playbook, as it provides the best multi-tasking & flash experience out there, but I guess really thats probably just not enough for most people, especially considering how mature Android OS & iOS have become..

PS: Playbook's are selling out at sale prices pretty easily..
    cman5 likes this.
    08-25-12 09:04 PM

Give me the playbook and the ten dollar HDMI cable and i am easily 390 dollars richer and enjoying better quality and more freedom with my device.

Last edited by axeman1000; 08-25-12 at 09:49 PM.
    esk369 likes this.
    08-25-12 09:38 PM

There's an HDMI adapter for the iPad, you know.

I have no idea what you mean by 'more freedom'. Playbook's practically as walled a garden as the iPad...and there's a far bigger and more vibrant jailbreak community behind the iPad.
    08-26-12 04:42 AM
    There's an HDMI adapter for the iPad, you know.

I have no idea what you mean by 'more freedom'. Playbook's practically as walled a garden as the iPad...and there's a far bigger and more vibrant jailbreak community behind the iPad.
    Could you please clarify why this would be true? i was under the impression that because you can sideload and install apps without jailbreaking or installing any special itunes type software, along with the fact that all the cables are standard non properiety types, the playbook would be considered more open..
    Last edited by spike12; 08-26-12 at 04:58 AM.
    08-26-12 04:55 AM
    Marketing. That's pretty much it.
    +1.

Nobody can buy a product they do not know about...
    diegonei, esk369 and FF22 like this.
    08-26-12 07:44 AM

$35, Raspberry Pi. I generally stream from a NAS though, better quality and don't have to worry about transferring videos.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-26-12 at 08:44 AM.
    08-26-12 08:41 AM
    I watched avengers and battleship on my PlayBook through hdmi out last week and I can also watch any football game without subscription to Nfl pass.
    08-26-12 10:05 AM
111 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD