So usually I don't post, but this is just getting ridiculous. If I hear one more person say "the playbook doesn't have apps like netflix or skype" I'm going to go crazy!!! Lol. Skype may be pretty decent, but when it comes down to it, you really don't skype as much as you think. But Netflix is not a necessity. Especially with their crappy selection. It's really no wonder why people don't get it. Its really not that good. I haven't used my netflix since october. I'll get on, and realize there's actually nothing to watch on here. Sorry just had to vent.
    Chrisy, hpjrt and OriginalLucy like this.
    02-22-12 05:27 PM
    I'm not being brought down by the negativity as I'm enjoying the heck out of my PlayBook!
    justino1284 likes this.
    02-22-12 05:31 PM
    Ditto, but it is tiring...
    02-22-12 05:33 PM
    Depends who you're talking about...

Some people rely on Skype heavily for talking to family overseas... I use Netflix 100% as a replacement for TV, so saying that I don't use that much either would also be incorrect. The PS Vita launched today and has a Netflix app, just saying...
    02-22-12 05:33 PM
    I'm not being brought down by the negativity as I'm enjoying the heck out of my PlayBook!
    Could not agree more.I am sick of app this app that, just do a dam search and bookmark. as far as netflix and whatever are crap.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-22-12 05:36 PM
    Notice I did say "skype is pretty decent" I use skype. Probably once every 6 months, but I do use it. Netflix on the other hand, I will not retract nor rethink any statement. There are free alternatives to it via the browser. Also, I'm very eager to see how the PS Vita will do!
    02-22-12 05:40 PM
    Skype isn't a necessity but when you have family overseas, it's awesome. When my husband was in Afghanistan, it was nice to see and speak to him. Other than that, I have no use for skype. But other people may have family elsewhere that use it regularly. You just can't beat it when making overseas calls. One person's BS app may be a deal breaker for someone else. Just my thought anyway.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-22-12 05:41 PM
    Your reffering to people who don't update their computers for years and then can't figure out why they can't load an OS properly. The world is full of them. Nothing we can do about it.
    02-22-12 05:42 PM
    Skype would be nice for an option but Netflix in Canada sucks anyways.

I checked out the PS Vita today it plays very nicely. So much better than the PSP. But the $250 price tag is a bit much for a handheld. I'll hold off till the price comes under $200.
    02-22-12 06:12 PM
    I luv my Playbook and I am having fun learning the nuances of 2.0, but the consumer should have a CHOICE whether they want to use some of major consumer apps/sites with some functionality.

I agree too much is made of apps on Playbook when you can bookmark most of the real sites. But when things like Netflix, Hulu, Kindle, Skype, etc. has absolutely no support at all, it hurts the Playbook's overall experience. Which in turns hurts sales, reputation, image, etc.

I mean we waited like 8 months for Angry Birds, but got it! We had Youtube, Facebook, etc. at launch. Other well known sites like Huffington Post do have dedicated Playbook apps. How is there no Kindle app or support when even the defunct HP touchpad has it? Or even older BB phones have it? I mean this is just hard to fathom?

The Playbook is 10 months old, when will RIM really unleash its potential. I mean it has the better hardware and IMHO, OS, than the iPad. It has the better browser too. But Playbook users lack the CHOICE of functionality in certain popular consumer sites/apps and that is where iPad dominates the Playbook and consumers run to the iPad.

Yea, Apple markets their products a lot better too, but that is a different issue for a different thread. RIM needs to get on the ball with consumer site/app support.

If this continues even BB10 will be doomed to be a niche OS due to lack of consumer site/app support. Its simple, get Netlfix, Hulu, Skype, Kindle, etc.

I could care less about iOS games, fart apps, etc., but the major consumer apps/sites should get supported on RIM devices. I blame RIM for years of ignoring this or if not ignoring it, not prioritizing this in their devices...
    02-22-12 06:12 PM
    RIM Doesn't build those apps.. Skype, netflix, kindle, etc... Have to build the apps for the playbook...
    02-22-12 06:29 PM
    Kindle app can be sideloaded and works a treat... Side loading is so easy and we'll worth. It to get the occasional apps you want but aren't available in appworld. Plenty of how to's on here
    02-22-12 06:32 PM
    Thanks for not being a complete , they are third party developers RIM can't force them to develop!
    02-22-12 06:33 PM
    People face it there is no way Skype will make it to the Playbook anytime soon.
    Netflix and Kindle yes, but not Skype RIM is gonna have to fork over close
    to 20 million to get Skype and that's just ridiculous. Come on they wont even consider 8 million. Thank God I never got into Skype.
    Only way I see Skype video chat working is if someone somehow makes
    some sort of plugin which will allow it to use the camera on the Android side load version.
    02-22-12 06:39 PM
    OK...I agree..wow..between the press and negatives in the forum its just sad. Rim done exactly as promised and gave us what was said they would...even in the time frame they stated..I am sure if the playbook could grow wings and fly people and the press would complain that it's too hard to catch or it lands too rough...so let's give it a chance..enjoy what it is...besides most of those complaining got it for the sale price...seems to me not alot to complain about for $200.00 or $300.00 . Rim has said more updates were coming like bbm and I doubt very much that it won't have other things attached. So all...lets enjoy what it is and show all that negative press just how wrong they are...I will never understand how they can be so negative...all they have to do is ask me..lol.I think the playbook is absoluty great
    02-22-12 06:44 PM
    I use skype on my laptop when I want to use it, and video chat on my PB with my sisters. I don't miss much on the PB that I cannot do when I want to. I don't want a laptop replacement, and I love the PB for the portability and size. So far, still playing with the new features. 2 thumbs up for me. Can't speak for other people's needs.
    02-22-12 06:52 PM
    Telling people what they need, priceless... Playbook's only going to continue to be ragged on until it gets the things people want, and rightfully so. Who are you to tell me what I should use.

I have never used skype once in my life and I know the playbook needs it, among other things. It's laughable when people say something doesn't need something, when millions of people use ______ everyday, step outside your little box and join the real world. These things matter.
    02-22-12 06:54 PM
    I did the whole sideload Android thing. Most of the useful apps are too buggy to consider at this time, but like soooomany things about the PB has potential...
    02-22-12 06:55 PM
    OK...I agree..wow..between the press and negatives in the forum its just sad. Rim done exactly as promised and gave us what was said they would...even in the time frame they stated..
    If you want to be fair, this is roughly the 3rd actual release date for the OS, not the first.... So yeah, they met the timeframe, on the 3rd try...
    02-22-12 06:58 PM
    RIM Doesn't build those apps.. Skype, netflix, kindle, etc... Have to build the apps for the playbook...
    Wrong, Skype does not have to make the Skype app for the Playbook...
    02-22-12 07:00 PM
    If they wanted Skype that bad, they would have outing the effort to research how to get Skype on the PB..... And they would realize that it could be done by going to IMO.im. I don't think those people really wanted those apps... They just want to boast the apps the PB can do to thief Apple/Android friends..
    02-22-12 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD