Hello everyone
    First post (been perusing for a while) for me... and now I need some advice. I picked up a PB for work, and while it's generally fine, I can't seem to increase the auto-rotate's sensitivity.

If I go from landscape to landscape (flip the device 180 degrees), the auto-rotate kicks in under a second. I can live with that, no problem. But if I flip it 90 degrees, it often won't work. I have to go the full 180, then back 90.

Is this normal?

I downloaded Ridgid as per a previous posters recommendation, and all seems fine (the accelerometer seems to be registering the movement.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Rob
    mz. yaya likes this.
    10-15-11 11:20 AM
    Mine works flawlessly for the most part, only problems i had were sometimes when using an app or game that only work in one mode like tetris and so on. Sometimes when multi tasking it take it a while to sort itself out but with regular flipping in browser and such i have no issues at all
    10-15-11 11:28 AM
    My experience is keep your playbook vertical and it seems to respond quite a bit better.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-15-11 12:31 PM
    If I change the orientation of the PB when it is horizontal (like a book on a table) it will never adjust on the screen. If i change the orientation of the PB when it is vertical (like reading a book when laying on my bed) it adjusts without a hitch. Maybe that is normal, I'll check with other tablets to see how they compare.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-15-11 12:32 PM
    I seem to have slower response on this also , seemingly from the last OS update.
    It used to react quicker I believe.
    mz. yaya likes this.
    10-15-11 12:37 PM
    I only have my wife's ipad to compare to, and that tablet is a lot more sensitive to the change in orientation (though sometimes a bit too much for my liking). Using Ridgid, it seems that the PB needs to be much more upright than the ipad in order to instantiate the process that will auto-rotate.

I'm going to head to a store near me to see if this is a hardware issue or if it's to be expected. I'm hoping for the former...

Any other feedback is welcomed. I'll also look at vids online to see if what I'm seeing is what other people are experiencing since it's a bit hard to describe certain issues like this one (what's acceptable to some isn't to others etc)

Thanks again!

R
    10-15-11 12:40 PM
    Forgot to mention: I wonder if someone can develop an application to manage the auto-rotate sensitivity.
    10-15-11 12:41 PM
    Mine is a bit too slow for my liking.
    10-15-11 12:48 PM
    Forgot to mention: I wonder if someone can develop an application to manage the auto-rotate sensitivity.
    Nice idea, but probably needs to be built into the OS.
    10-15-11 01:30 PM
    Nice idea, but probably needs to be built into the OS.
    Really? Too bad...
    10-15-11 01:32 PM
    I just noticed the rotate seems more responsive if you hold it closer to straight up and down (perpendicular to the ground) than flat...anyone else? the response time seems to vary with the angle - which is actually pretty cool - so it isn't as sensitive in the flatter position , so you are less likely to flip it by accident.
    10-15-11 07:18 PM
    Honestly, compared to my iPad, my PlayBook is a little slower in maintaining screen orientation when rotated. It's not annoyingly slow but I think there is room for improvement.
    10-15-11 07:22 PM
    I just noticed the rotate seems more responsive if you hold it closer to straight up and down (perpendicular to the ground) than flat...anyone else? the response time seems to vary with the angle - which is actually pretty cool - so it isn't as sensitive in the flatter position , so you are less likely to flip it by accident.
    Yes, that's basically what's happening with me. Went to a store, compared mine with the demo one and they both acted the same way. The more perpendicular to the ground, the more likely it will rotate.

Even when it does, it's a bit slow though.
    10-15-11 07:24 PM
    Honestly, compared to my iPad, my PlayBook is a little slower in maintaining screen orientation when rotated. It's not annoyingly slow but I think there is room for improvement.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I kind of wish they let users determine that, like what you're able to do in Windows to control mouse sensitivity for example.

Shouldn't be hard to do one would think.
    bounce007 likes this.
    10-15-11 07:25 PM
    Mine rotates in <1.5 seconds. I like it. No need for it to be flipping around during casual movements. I also like how it will maintain its orientation until you specifically and purposefully change the the aspect horizon.

Far too many posters here somehow think no thought was put into the PB. All I see is very good execution in producing a first rate tab on a nascent OS.
    digtech likes this.
    10-16-11 12:57 AM
    i noticed if i give my playbook a little shake when im changing orientation it responds almost immediately
    10-16-11 03:07 AM
    That's one thing I first notice when I got my PB. It doesn't quickly rotate when I change the orientation. It takes about 2 secs before it react but then I thought maybe it was made by purpose, to avoid unintentional rotation. I like the idea having control to its sensitivity. Personally it doesn't bother me much, what bothers me is if it rotates even I doesn't what to.
    10-16-11 04:30 AM
    Perhaps it's never too late too resurrect a thread as it better than creating a duplicate. Anyway... Has there been a resolve to this? It's the most painstaking issue i have with my playbook to be honest. The screen calibration is just too slow for my liking. It reminds me of opening mail, calendar or contact and get a painfully slow response. Are these hardware issues or the software needs to be optimized more for the os?

Laying flat on a table, the playbook's screen will not automatically rotate, and as persons already mention, it only does so if its upright. Whether this was intentional or not, I think the user should be given the preference of calibrating it to their liking.

Maybe it's the bezel functions that slows it down. As with the playbook, it's simply more than rotating the screen... But also having all the bezel swipe functions change with it as well. If I think about all that's it has to do then i dont really mind the sec that it takes... But it's all about giving a 10/10 user experience and that's a .5 minus.

Funny enough the playbook has a 6 axis gyroscope and the ipad has a 3 axis yet still the ipad is as fluid as water.
    Last edited by digtech; 06-07-12 at 11:25 AM.
    06-07-12 10:54 AM
    The PB won't rotate laying flat on a table. Does the Ipad do that?
    What sensor would it use?
    The delay in rotation when upright is intentional I believe. To keep the screen from flipping when you move a bit.
    06-07-12 11:42 AM
    Yes the ipad rotates even when laying flat. The slightest tilt flips it. I believe it's the. Accelerometer and gyroscope that contributes to it.
    Last edited by digtech; 06-07-12 at 12:00 PM.
    06-07-12 11:46 AM
    Maybe the magnetometer.
    I wouldn't have use for that but I guess the option would be nice for some.
    06-07-12 12:05 PM
    The Playbook needs a 45 degree angle to change its orientation, so when laying on a flat surface it won't rotate, i believe this is by design, now i've noticed that i sometimes tend to hold my PB in a 35-40 degree angle so it doesn't rotate when i want to.
    06-07-12 12:31 PM
    It's definitely less sensitive for rotations compared to the iPad. Whether that's a plus or minue, depends on preference. Unintentional rotations vs. sluggish response.
    I agree it would be nice to have it user adjustable, it's just one of those things that different people have different preferences for.

Side note... I was recently shocked to find that the touchpad sensitivity can't be changed on the MacBook Air (new computer I bought for my wife). I had to install a hack to change the settings for her.
    06-07-12 01:03 PM
    I just noticed the rotate seems more responsive if you hold it closer to straight up and down (perpendicular to the ground) than flat
    This is the key
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-07-12 04:55 PM
    In fact, there's a "trigger time", the "rotation" (effect) is very fast. So that the term "slow" is not appropriated IMHO.

I like it. It prevents unwanted changes of orientation, one of the most hated thing I noticed with several tablets/phones. Put it vertical, like a signal to state "I want to change vertical orientation" and then, rotate.
    06-07-12 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD