Hi CB's. I'm new to the Forums but have had a BB Playbook 64G for almost two years. It has always been soooo slow, but now I am ready to give up! I don't use it near to capacity - mostly email, a bit of surfing, Facebook; I also have a few books on it. I want to be able to blog and post to my (new) website but it drives me nuts that it takes forever to load, skips around, and otherwise seems useless. I don't want to switch to another tablet, but I don't know what to do because I need and want to use it more. I have not yet done any wipe because I'm not quite sure how to do that after reading some of the to a similar post. Any suggestions?! Thanks.
    Last edited by Muffella; 07-02-14 at 11:30 AM.
    07-02-14 11:18 AM
    What are you asking for?

Help fixing the PlayBook.... sorry but it is what it is? If your main issue is the browser, then there are a few 3rd party ones... some claim the Evolution Browser works great, give them all a try.
    Help wiping it? Go into Setting and the Security and you'll find it. Once is good enough for most users. Have heard some suggest a Security wipe and then reload the OS.....
    07-02-14 11:38 AM
    Sorry that I wasn't more specific, scalemaster34. It's not just the browser; everything is slow - my Yahoo! mail, Internet Explorer. When loading a page, I get this checkered but otherwise blank half-screen and a half-screen of mail, or nothing at all. I try to be careful when making a selection, yet the touchscreen doesn't seem to know what to do. I'm not entirely concerned about that, since I did get the awesome keyboard. Again, my concern is that it is slow to load and then lags or stalls on a page. I can be patient, but I really expert better responsiveness. Um, please forgive my ignorance - how do reload the OS and will I lose everything in the security wipe?
    07-02-14 12:46 PM
    You might want to try Dophin Browser. On my 2 PBs, it is so much better, (not perfect, processor ya knowes), but much less checkerboarding and just "feels" snappier. I have let go the stock/native browser a loooong time ago.

Also, if you are going to do a wipe/restore, best to copy everything to your desktop (images, music, docs, etc.).

Yes, you can lose all your data if you don't copy your docs, etc. As to cached memory for apps and games, you can save them using BB Desktop Manager in the Backup section, and click the save/backup app data.

Then do the wipe restore and your PB will act like "new"....I wipe/restore my "work" Playbook every 12 months, takes about 2/3 hrs. Then reloading all you data that you pulled off the PB and copied to your desktop.

c
    07-02-14 02:32 PM
    Sorry that I wasn't more specific, scalemaster34. It's not just the browser; everything is slow - my Yahoo! mail, Internet Explorer. When loading a page, I get this checkered but otherwise blank half-screen and a half-screen of mail, or nothing at all. I try to be careful when making a selection, yet the touchscreen doesn't seem to know what to do. I'm not entirely concerned about that, since I did get the awesome keyboard. Again, my concern is that it is slow to load and then lags or stalls on a page. I can be patient, but I really expert better responsiveness. Um, please forgive my ignorance - how do reload the OS and will I lose everything in the security wipe?
    Back it up and use LINK to reinstall the OS....

A fresh OS install did speed mine up.... and if you go back to maybe the original 2.1 OS it is faster. But compared with modern devices it is going to seem slow.
    07-02-14 03:30 PM
    Are you sure it's not a problem with your WiFi for Internet? I find connecting to wireless g is must better than some of the wireless n connections. I recommend a wep encryption only. Definitely a wipe is in order and that's the first thing I would do. I use bb link for my playbooks and I usually do a wipe every six months and it's like they are brand new. You will need your bb id and pw as well.search on crackberry for help on wiping and reloading and restoring. They are usually found in the ones marked sticky's but should be very easy to find by searching! Let us know how you made out or if get stuck at anytime, just ask but read up first so it makes sense
    07-06-14 12:23 AM
    It's very often a rogue sideloaded Android app that causes the PB to become unusably slow and laggy. Unfortunately there's no way to tell which one it is except by removing them and even then it doesn't always recover quickly.

As said, a security wipe should make it run nice and swiftly (well as much as any PB does in comparison these days) but the only reliable way to ensure you haven't re-imported the problem is to avoid doing a back up of the apps and simply download them all again. So back up your personal files to the PC first.

You'll soon learn if it is a particular Android app next time if it happens again.

It's a mild pain to do, because reinstalling apps is time consuming to an extent, but left to one side to do over a day is not the worst imposition in the world. Game progress will be lost though, but you can back up specific games to Link or DM if that's crucial to you.

I understand how people are reluctant to do this, but once you've done it once and realise how enormous a difference it makes to the device, you'll be much more comfortable about doing it in future.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:27 AM
    Oh yes, one other thing to try if you're reluctant to go down the wipe route (don't be) is repeated hard resets after you've identified the probable cause and removed it. It does eventually recover and speed up sometimes. But it's a patch rather than a cure. Wipe is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:32 AM
    While my issues were not nearly as bad as yours, I slowly started deleting apps and going through the PB until I deleted one of the Android apps and things changed. I then cleared as much as I literally of the unit and it improved a bit but finally just did a wipe. The install is effortless and smooth, not glitches. If you have files you want to keep, so a selective backup and save. After the we and reinstall all my glitches and problems went away and I do not even find a need for an alternate browser. However, I only reloaded a couple of the sideloaded apps as most K never of seldom used and others were little more than alternates to using the browser. Those I reloaded I knew were safe. It took a bit of rethinking but, I have found none of the apps I decided not to reload hindered the use of my PB just changed the say I did things. Things like todo, listing, notes, etc. all go through DocstoGo and I found using the spreadsheet and writer did better for my than the custom apps and things like that.
    07-10-14 11:24 AM