Hi CrackBerry Nation,

So I have recently got a Playbook and been playing around with it and noticed that when I am loading a webpage that it gets stuck about a quarter way and just sits at a white screen for awhile then after 3-5 seconds starts to load the page. Sometimes doesn't load the page at all. I figured that this was probably my wifi at first but then my buddy with a playbook (32gb same as mine) was over at my place using the same wifi and his was probably 2-3 times faster than mine at loading the same pages. First I cleared my cache and all that stuff and re-tested it and it was still much slower. I even did a security swipe and started from scratch and STILL mine was much slower.

has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure what to do now. Any help would be much appreciated!

Tyler
    02-18-12 12:16 AM
    maybe your buddy is using the beta of 2.0 os ? i heard that the browser in 2.0 is faster..
    02-18-12 12:35 AM
    The stock browser is indeed slower in os 1... If your buddy is using os 2beta then it's normal. dont bother updating to beta though...you will get the official version on the 21st
    02-18-12 01:07 AM
    He had the exact same OS as mine as well. Not sure what is going on. Considering exchanging it for a new one but I don't want to if it is just something I'm doing wrong? or if it is an easy fix.
    02-18-12 01:25 AM
    Hi, I have always had problems with the browser not loading pages or taking forever to do so. Even opening some/most of the pages on this site took over thirty seconds to load (over wifi). I downloaded simple browser from the app store hoping this would fix it but it does the same. I seems to do it randomly, sometimes a particular page will load dead slow and other times it is quite good. I have an ipad 2 as well and tested it against the playbook, it was generally not as quick but did it consistantly. I put it down to the operating system - BRING ON OS2!!! Hopefully that will improve it.
    Just a quick note that we have the playbook, ipad2 and samsung galaxy 10.1 and I keep coming back to the playbook. With OS2, it should leave the others for dead!
    02-18-12 02:42 AM
    He had the exact same OS as mine as well. Not sure what is going on. Considering exchanging it for a new one but I don't want to if it is just something I'm doing wrong? or if it is an easy fix.
    Before anything, I suggest you the following :
    1. swipe down within the browser go to settings and clear all cache
    2. restart (battery icon + restart) your PB

Try again and please let us know.
    02-18-12 02:52 AM
    Yes, I have tried all that, sometimes it improves, sometimes it doesn't. Like I said it seems to be intermittant, more so with pages that have a lot of content, but even does it on basic pages. Gets frustrating when you have to wait forever to open a page. When it is working it works very well (about 85% of the time). All said and done, that is my only major issue (apart from a few things that will be improved in Os2) and I kinda got used to it.
    02-18-12 03:35 AM
    Could it be you have javascript on and the buddy had it off? On Crackberry it makes a substantial difference. That under Browser options, content.

But if you both used the same router, then it probably is not the router although you might want to actually pull down the GEAR options and compare every aspect of settings?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-18-12 08:58 AM
    Yes, I have tried all that, sometimes it improves, sometimes it doesn't. Like I said it seems to be intermittant, more so with pages that have a lot of content, but even does it on basic pages. Gets frustrating when you have to wait forever to open a page. When it is working it works very well (about 85% of the time). All said and done, that is my only major issue (apart from a few things that will be improved in Os2) and I kinda got used to it.
    Well, I'll advice to stand and wait for OS 2.0 unless you can't wait and want a radical approach. This would mean :

1. Backup
    2. Debrick method = Install of fresh latest official OS
    3. Restore selectively

... maybe a bit too much just for 3 days before the official release.
    02-18-12 09:07 AM
    It happens to me all the time and I nailed it down to the Javascript. When I turn it off the pages load so much quicker than with it on. I only use Java when it is needed and off it goes. Try it on yours and you'll see a big difference. I hope this is fixed with 2.0 as well.
    02-18-12 09:49 AM
    I too ha e the exact same problem which i didn't notice at all hardly when I first got my PB bit seems more frequent of late. I had dropped my PB last week and have been scared it's from that. Hoping it is OS related and that 2.0 fixes it too.
    02-18-12 09:59 AM
    how do u turn off java script?
    got it: yes it speeds up the browsing for sure if js is OFF! good tip
    Last edited by v6pman; 02-18-12 at 10:08 AM.
    02-18-12 10:02 AM
    Hope everyone doesn't expect 2.0 to improve browser performance. I tried the beta version for awhile and thebrowser performance is the same, slow!
    02-18-12 10:07 AM
    Even with Private Browsing on, my playbook does this a lot, too. It also crashes. Sometimes it'll work well without crashing all day, and then the next day, it crashes...A LOT.
    And I turn off my playbook every night, so I doubt it has anything to do with leaving it on standby for too long.
    02-18-12 10:23 AM
    I don't know anything about javascript and what/why it performs rather poorly on the pb. I have adopted SimpleBrowser+ which allows separate setting for its 4 different tabs. I've set Tab 1 to java OFF. Tab4 to java ON. Each can have its own homepage link. I have not yet played enough with Secure Browser but that is another alternative browser. Many report that they are faster than the native browser. I've not done any analysis. But word-wrap and control over java make them worth considering.
    o0vL likes this.
    02-18-12 10:39 AM
    Hope everyone doesn't expect 2.0 to improve browser performance. I tried the beta version for awhile and thebrowser performance is the same, slow!
    Having two PB's(1 using OS1 and 1 using beta) I can say from my experience the browsing is a better experience using the beta.
    I would just hang in there until the update is released and see if it helps.
    If your still slow after that then start trouble shooting.
    Superfly_FR and o0vL like this.
    02-18-12 12:06 PM
    Sorry, tried both beta and .7111 greatly improved the speed (just downgraded to latest official after about a month of heavy usage, so I can tell).
    02-18-12 12:09 PM
    Also for me, and it sounds like for the op also, its not so much the browser itself as it works fine most of the time. it's the random times it starts doing this out of the blue. Restart seems to help but several random restarts is annoying tonsay the least.
    02-18-12 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the tips, I have turned java off and it is a lot better so far.
    02-19-12 03:40 AM
    I'm having a similar problem running OS 2.1.0.1032, though my browser isn't just slow, it often just hangs and does nothing. Yesterday I did a third security wipe/OS repair/update routine to try and solve the issue. It's making me kind of crazy--I thought I had it solved. I've now found that powering-cycling my router seems to fix the problem. Dropping and re-establishing the wifi connection from my Playbook doesn't make a difference. I'm using a Linksys/Cisco E3000 router doing 802.11-G and -N. (N to the Playbook.) This issue appeared for me only after updating to OS 2.1.0.1032. Previously, I was using a beta OS release and was experiencing huge battery life problems. The .1032 release solved that, but has apparently introduced issues with my router. I am very frustrated, and will probably need to add a second wifi router to my home network.

I have 3 other desktop PCs, several mobile devices, and two media players, none of which are having any network problems. When the problem occures, the PB e-mail client will still fetch and send mail, while the browser slows to a crawl or hangs completely.
    10-10-12 08:57 AM
    As others have said, turning off Javascript and Flash will increase rendering speeds and also eliminate a good amount of 'clicking with no results' on webpages. I will say, in my experience, the PB browser not the greatest when it comes to reliability. Performance is great when it works.
    10-10-12 09:06 AM
    If you have router problems with BBPB and a Win7 machine try Connectify, a soft ware router program, which you load on your Win7 machine.Available on web.It will. Give you another hot spot.
    10-10-12 10:03 AM
    Same problem im facing with the browser. its hanging more than id like. It performs well over bridge, but on wifi its rather slow. My friend compared his samsung player 5.0 vs my PB on the same wifi. It unfortunately bested the pb on every site. The PB redirects to the link first, but then hangs on a white page... and even after all seems loaded, it still hangs at the end. Oh well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-10-12 06:24 PM
    I started experiencing a slow Playbook browser a few months ago-not sure why because it used to be faster. I was about ready to give it the boot when I tried some of the tricks here. Javascript is definitely the culprit. With it on, the Playbook takes 30-35 sec to load the ABC News full website (15 sec for the iPad2). With it off, it's only 10 sec, but the page layout is not really usable. The solution was to get Fast Browser. It loads the same page in 5 sec in the "Fast" mode, or about 15s in full mode, and you can switch from "fast" to "full" mode with one button- something that isn't easy to do with the standard browser. My Playbook has a new lease on life. (Side note- iPads are not Flash-compatible, but it seems most major websites have streaming media in formats that the iPad can play, like ABC News).
    05-03-13 10:29 AM
    The best thing to do with a slow play book is to wipe it any that is what I do every 6 months and I find it works great after

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-03-13 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD