I understand slingplayer software will not work on the Playbook. I am sure there are well-educuated end-users (smarter than me) who have tried everything to get it to work too.

However, I could not find any threads about the web slingplayer "linux hack" suggestion, so I am posting it for someone to test. I dont have a Playbook but would buy one if I could use slingplayer on it.

Since playbook has flash support, should it not work with the web based Slingplayer software? Has anyone tried by-passing the browser/OS check as described on the following website: how to watch your slingbox on a linux-based system | nerdalerts

If you do not want to run a local html file, there is a nice person running a public website here that accomplishes the same thing: Web SlingPlayer

Just curious if this works. Likely not (Im sure someone thought of this already right?), but maybe worth a shot?
    09-10-12 10:13 AM
    I understand slingplayer software will not work on the Playbook. I am sure there are well-educuated end-users (smarter than me) who have tried everything to get it to work too.

However, I could not find any threads about the web slingplayer "linux hack" suggestion, so I am posting it for someone to test. I dont have a Playbook but would buy one if I could use slingplayer on it.

Since playbook has flash support, should it not work with the web based Slingplayer software? Has anyone tried by-passing the browser/OS check as described on the following website: how to watch your slingbox on a linux-based system | nerdalerts

If you do not want to run a local html file, there is a nice person running a public website here that accomplishes the same thing: Web SlingPlayer

Just curious if this works. Likely not (Im sure someone thought of this already right?), but maybe worth a shot?
    The problem is there are plugins that need to be downloaded to get slingplayer to work. So the web route does not work. I currently use splashtop to connect to a pc at home and run slingplayer through it. The usability ranges from horrible to bearable at best. But sometimes is the only option.

I hope Sling comes out with a Sling app for BB10, but I'm definitely not expecting it.

Hopes this helps.
    09-10-12 10:50 AM
    Has anyone tried to install slingplayer for android since the new 2.1 update?
    Curious to see if it might work. Can't find any slingplayer bar files.
    10-03-12 02:40 PM
    SlingPlayer is a paid app so you likely won't find any publicly available APKs for it. I extracted the APK from my Android tablet and converted it to a BAR file and installed. Unfortunately it didn't work - kept getting an error that the keyboard had stopped working and my only option was to quit. The wait continues.....ugh! So frustrating since it used to work fine through Facebook but then Sling decided to actively block the Playbook's Flash player's user agent string so that it won't work. SimpleBrowser doesn't solve the issue as the user agent string is from the Flash plug-in, not the browser. Sucks that it works but Sling won't let us use it. Not sure what their thought process is - if there was a Playbook app I could purchase, I would understand. But to simply block Playbooks for no reason with no alternative makes no sense. Maybe they just hate RIM and that's why the 9700 is the last device that they sell SlingPlayer Mobile for.
    01-06-13 04:41 AM
    Just called Slingbox tech support today. Asked them if they had any plans to release an app for BBerry under the new BB10 ios.
    In a word - "no."

No plans, can't tell me if or when that might change.
    I love my playbook, but this is killing me. Watch all my local sports while I'm on the road via this app. Had to buy a Kindle to do it.
    Hate that my playbook is gathering dust just because of this.
    01-11-13 02:39 PM
    Just called Slingbox tech support today. Asked them if they had any plans to release an app for BBerry under the new BB10 ios.
    In a word - "no."

No plans, can't tell me if or when that might change.
    I love my playbook, but this is killing me. Watch all my local sports while I'm on the road via this app. Had to buy a Kindle to do it.
    Hate that my playbook is gathering dust just because of this.
    Sling Media is quite a pain in the a**!! First they stop support for the desktop and Flash apps (shortly after I bought it) so I have to go through the web even on a desktop or laptop. They have a Windows phone app but no BB app. How does that make sense?

I also bought a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 just watching my Slingbox while I am traveling. It is the sole purpose and use for the Kindle (OK I have a couple of games ). So I bought the Slingbox app from Amazon, but it was crap! Wasted money there. Finally rooted the Kindle, installed Google Play and bought the Play store app. It is much better (especially the remote control) but still not as good as the original Windows app or even the Web player on my laptop. I wish there was a competing product out there. I would be happy to get rid of the Slingbox for a better option. Anything better out there?
    02-01-13 01:40 AM
    Sling Media is quite a pain in the a**!! First they stop support for the desktop and Flash apps (shortly after I bought it) so I have to go through the web even on a desktop or laptop. They have a Windows phone app but no BB app. How does that make sense?

I also bought a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 just watching my Slingbox while I am traveling. It is the sole purpose and use for the Kindle (OK I have a couple of games ). So I bought the Slingbox app from Amazon, but it was crap! Wasted money there. Finally rooted the Kindle, installed Google Play and bought the Play store app. It is much better (especially the remote control) but still not as good as the original Windows app or even the Web player on my laptop. I wish there was a competing product out there. I would be happy to get rid of the Slingbox for a better option. Anything better out there?
    06-15-13 06:24 AM
    This thread has been most informative as I have had this struggle with Slingbox for some time. It seems the answer is in switching to another device that replaces Slingbox and I understand there good options out there. I am not going to be able to do that for now but you can Google replacement for Slingbox and get some good options. In the meantime I use an ipod touch to watch my sling and it allows me to use my blackberry separately.
    06-15-13 06:29 AM
    What happened with Monsoon and the Vulkano? Kevin gave a few away and they promised PlayBook and BB10 support. I'd gladly buy a new device and ditch my Sling because those d1cks won't work on anything anymore.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:47 AM
    New Android app announced today. Also announced Windows 8.1 app coming soon. But still no love for Playbook?
    Slingbox's Slingplayer adds Airplay, Roku support, and Windows 8.1 app | Digital Trends

Can anyone get their hands on the new Android app and see if it can be converted and sideloaded?
    11-18-13 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD