So I FINALLY bought a playbook after 2 months of research and in the research found out about tethering (which wasn't even in my remit) so got all excited only to find my carrier doesn't support it soooooooo not impressed is there anything I can do?
    02-04-12 04:28 AM
    You can turn your iPhone into a mobile wifi hotspot, but you'll have to jailbreak it or pay extra.
    02-04-12 04:38 AM
    What innova said or better yet get a BB. I recommend the 9900.
    gschep likes this.
    02-04-12 04:55 AM
    What innova said or better yet get a BB. I recommend the 9900.
    unfortunately i have only just got my iphone and tbh i love it so don't want to part with it oh well i never knew this could have been an option anyway so i shall just forget about it
    02-04-12 07:22 AM
    Jailbreak amd wifi hotspt on your iPhone should do the trick. Why should you as a customer suffer if Apple wants to shut off device features.
    02-04-12 08:07 AM
    wifi hotspot is available without a jailbreak. I have it on my iphone 4 running 5.0.1 and it works perfectly. I rarely use it though cause i'm almost always bridged or have wifi around.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-04-12 08:24 AM
    I have the iphone4 (work supplied) and use the hotspot feature with my playbook. Works great!

The Network SSID will be the name of your iphone, some people have had problems if there are spaces or characters in the name..to check it goto GENERAL->SETTINGS->ABOUT->NAME.

To turn on the hotspot and access the password go to GENERAL->NETWORK->PERSONAL HOTSPOT.

Give it a minute and you should be able to discover it on your playbook and you are ready to surf using your carrier.
    02-04-12 09:06 AM
    So I FINALLY bought a playbook after 2 months of research and in the research found out about tethering (which wasn't even in my remit) so got all excited only to find my carrier doesn't support it soooooooo not impressed is there anything I can do?
    Jailbreak your iPhone, install MiWi on it, and you will love it. That's what I do with my iPhone4S and PlayBook and MacBook Pro. Works really well, and has awesome speeds from your 3G.

Also, your phone will only let you use itself as a wifi hotspot if your plan allows for it to be used as one. I've been grandfathered into my unlimited plan, and don't have access to the hotspot feature. It's an absolute ripoff to pay for it on your plan. Jailbreaking your phone is as easy as eating cake. Well worth it for that alone, but other additional feature you can find on Cydia.
    Last edited by iggibar; 02-04-12 at 09:21 AM.
    02-04-12 09:17 AM
    wifi hotspot is available without a jailbreak. I have it on my iphone 4 running 5.0.1 and it works perfectly. I rarely use it though cause i'm almost always bridged or have wifi around.
    You can physically see the "Set Up Personal Hotspot" button, but you can only use is if you are paying for it on your plan. It's impossible for you to use it without hacking it.
    02-04-12 09:24 AM
    I have the iphone4 (work supplied) and use the hotspot feature with my playbook. Works great!

The Network SSID will be the name of your iphone, some people have had problems if there are spaces or characters in the name..to check it goto GENERAL->SETTINGS->ABOUT->NAME.

To turn on the hotspot and access the password go to GENERAL->NETWORK->PERSONAL HOTSPOT.

Give it a minute and you should be able to discover it on your playbook and you are ready to surf using your carrier.
    Yes but unfortunately as I said my carrier (Tesco) don't allow it so that "hotspot" button isn't there and I really don't want to jailbreak it (sounds painful)
    02-04-12 09:41 AM
    Sorry about your luck...didn't realize your carrier disables this feature. Where I am (Canada) we have to pay for data usage, so the hotspot feature is active.
    02-04-12 10:18 AM
    And unfortunately Apple did not see fit to include the modem service in their Bluetooth implementation although some carriers block this as well.

I think its time that carriers get with the program. It's called mobile computing. What does it matter whether I am transferring data with my smart phone or a computer/tablet through my phone as a modem. What does should matter to them?
    02-04-12 11:20 AM
    And unfortunately Apple did not see fit to include the modem service in their Bluetooth implementation although some carriers block this as well.

I think its time that carriers get with the program. It's called mobile computing. What does it matter whether I am transferring data with my smart phone or a computer/tablet through my phone as a modem. What does should matter to them?
    It is called greed, reminds me of when the home Internet companies wanted to charge extra for setting up a home network.
    Last edited by blue-b; 02-04-12 at 11:28 AM.
    02-04-12 11:25 AM
    I don't think jailbreaking an iphone is as difficult as it sounds.
    02-04-12 12:36 PM
    If you do want to jailbreak, try this:
    http://www.imore.com/2010/11/09/jail...ls-terms-apps/
    Pick the jailbreak that fits your carrier/device version/OS/computer (I'd recommend choosing one of the "untethered" ones, since tethered ones need you to plug into your computer and pretty much re-jailbreak it every time you want to reboot). If you can't figure out which one to use, let us know which version of the iPhone you have, what version of iOS, and your carrier, and we'll tell you exactly which one to use.
    02-04-12 02:05 PM
    I just jailbroke my ip4 on iOS 5.01 with red snow took no more than 5 minutes check out youtube dinozambas2 im just sorting mywi now :-)
    02-04-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD