Microsoft job ads reveal HTML5 version of Skype coming to Web browsers

Will it work for the PB? may keep a few folk happy....
    J
    fbloise likes this.
    04-16-12 10:33 AM
    If its HTML 5 I would guess it should work fine..
    As a matter of fact i think there was a news report saying how good the OS 2.0 HTML 5 test were..
    The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    There is also 2.1 and BB 10 in the development section there..
    04-16-12 10:50 AM
    So then ... it may not have been RIM's fault that a dedicated app for Skype wasn't being written for the PB?

Geez! So all of those who were screaming foul because there was still no Skype on PB were barking up the wrong tree? You mean ... those dedicated souls who "want what they want RIGHT NOW" were simply jumping the gun because the new owner of Skype is focusing on a web based application? In short while MS was looking forward with their plans for Skype, all the PB detractors were, in fact, looking backwards!

Go figure!
    eternalemb likes this.
    04-16-12 11:07 AM
    So then ... it may not have been RIM's fault that a dedicated app for Skype wasn't being written for the PB?

Geez! So all of those who were screaming foul because there was still no Skype on PB were barking up the wrong tree? You mean ... those dedicated souls who "want what they want RIGHT NOW" were simply jumping the gun because the new owner of Skype is focusing on a web based application? In short while MS was looking forward with their plans for Skype, all the PB detractors were, in fact, looking backwards!

Go figure!
    The fact is we do not have Skype, which has been pretty standard on other tablets. I don't Skype, but many, may people do. I do not think you should be disparaging people who want this on the PlayBook as greedy, childish people in the way you just did. That is unfair, hpjrt.
    ljo01 and keith1000 like this.
    04-16-12 11:14 AM
    Two weeks after it hits the market the blackberry Playbooks will all be blocked.
    ralfyguy, jplo2113 and claffeeba like this.
    04-16-12 11:24 AM
    Depends on what video codec they decide to use. Choice of three for html5 and the PB only supports one, MP4.

If they use the new Google free to use codec... WebM or less likely OGG then it will not work.
    04-16-12 01:27 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with Skype working in a browser and based on html5, wouldn't it be possible for Skype/MS to port the code to an app for PB? One of the selling points of PB app development is html5 code, right?
    04-16-12 01:31 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with Skype working in a browser and based on html5, wouldn't it be possible for Skype/MS to port the code to an app for PB? One of the selling points of PB app development is html5 code, right?
    In a sense I guess a Air Web app could be made from the website to provide a custom interface.... But the PB still only provides support for only one html5 video codec... If WebM is the winner then not a chance.
    jimbo_hippo likes this.
    04-16-12 01:49 PM
    It would be great to have this an option. But that must be quite resource intensive to Skype via Web.

I am also concerned if the web version will be as secure as the app version (i.e. encryption).
    04-16-12 02:10 PM
    For the time being, imo.im via browser...
    04-16-12 02:15 PM
    Apparently HTML5 on PB cannot access camera, so that'd be a major flaw in this idea. EDIT: This may or may not be correct. Also I feel I should note that Facebook already has HTML5 video chat, and that is not supported on PB (the icon for video chat does not appear at all on FB when browsing on PB, even on the full desktop version of the site). And FB video chat is powered by Skype, so chances are it'll be pretty much a case of turning that existing functionality into its own, independent website. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on this one to be perfectly honest.

EDIT: FB may use Flash instead of HTML5, not sure. Still doesn't work on PB.
    Last edited by SifJar; 04-16-12 at 05:37 PM.
    04-16-12 02:22 PM
    I hope they dont use silverlight
    04-16-12 04:31 PM
    Apparently HTML5 on PB cannot access camera, so that'd be a major flaw in this idea. EDIT: This may or may not be correct. Also I feel I should note that Facebook already has HTML5 video chat, and that is not supported on PB (the icon for video chat does not appear at all on FB when browsing on PB, even on the full desktop version of the site). And FB video chat is powered by Skype, so chances are it'll be pretty much a case of turning that existing functionality into its own, independent website. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on this one to be perfectly honest.

EDIT: FB may use Flash instead of HTML5, not sure. Still doesn't work on PB.
    Try this, go to facebook (if you use it), try to change your profile picture, and then select the option of "Take photo" to my surprise what happened was the front facing camera loaded up, I found that pretty interesting and this was on the full version of the website.
    bbblair and claffeeba like this.
    04-16-12 05:57 PM
    For the time being, imo.im via browser...
    Video chat does not work on skype on imo.im
    04-16-12 09:13 PM
    Video chat does not work on skype on imo.im
    Calling does.

And for a good number of users, that's enough.

For the rest of us, it's better than no Skype, don't you agree?

Such a cup half empty...
    04-16-12 09:22 PM
    It would be great to have this an option. But that must be quite resource intensive to Skype via Web.

I am also concerned if the web version will be as secure as the app version (i.e. encryption).
    You have heard about a new encryption protocol called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) right? It is used by banks to secure the web browser session when carrying out on-line banking activities.
    04-16-12 09:32 PM
    Calls between Skype users are direct, i.e. they don't go via a central server, so for SSL to work either calls must go via a central server, which is a potential weak point, or every user would need to have their own SSL cert.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-17-12 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD