We got angry birds today.

Want to Skype a Video Call on Your PS Vita? Now You Can | Techland | TIME.com

This must be the definition of adding insult to injury.
    04-24-12 09:44 AM
    Just stop. Seriously Doesn't anyone know what a gaming division is
    maddie1128 and bbfan1040 like this.
    04-24-12 09:45 AM
    I don't know, you should ask the makers of PS Vita...they seemed to think Skype was important to their gaming hardware...

A bit ironic, isn't it?
    04-24-12 09:52 AM
    Sony paid Skype to get their service to the PS Vita...
    Rim wont do that even tough they can make a lot of money if they did...
    garlee likes this.
    04-24-12 09:57 AM
    Not just a point of paying them.... Sony is a huge company.... especially in the developed world..... It comes down to numbers..... RIM with 1 million PB does not make the cut.........
    04-24-12 10:00 AM
    Sony paid Skype to get their service to the PS Vita...
    Rim wont do that even tough they can make a lot of money if they did...
    Yes I agree with you infact i would even pay top $ to buy the program for my PB if it was available
    elbo likes this.
    04-24-12 10:00 AM
    There was a job posting on a Microsoft website. It looks like they are making a web based version of Skype. So at some point everyone will have Skype, just a matter of time.
    bbfan1040 and black hole like this.
    04-24-12 10:01 AM
    Really? Unless this thread is to tell us that Skype is available for BB - what is the purpose of this thread???
    musical1806 and Rajmessi like this.
    04-24-12 10:03 AM
    Really! Unless you need to announce that Skype is available for BB- what is the relavency:confused of this post?
    Well let's see in one corner we have the playbook marketed with the slogan 'tools not toys' and in the other corner ps vita - a pure gaming platform if there ever was one.

Skype, a communication tool used by a bunch of folks to stay in touch for business and family was released to one of these platforms (and it wasn't PB).

It was just too thick with irony to pass up.

Hope it clears up the confusion.
    04-24-12 10:07 AM
    Don't you have a phone? You could keep in touch that way! Just saying........
    And it is not RIM's fault that a gaming device got Skype. Lighten up

BTW- I wasn't confused......just not a whiner.
    04-24-12 10:11 AM
    Well let's see in one corner we have the playbook marketed with the slogan 'tools not toys' and in the other corner ps vita - a pure gaming platform if there ever was one.

Skype, a communication tool used by a bunch of folks to stay in touch for business and family was released to one of these platforms (and it wasn't PB).

It was just too thick with irony to pass up.

Hope it clears up the confusion.
    In before the lock.
    04-24-12 10:16 AM
    Don't you have a phone? You could keep in touch that way! Just saying........
    Well, you can't video chat with a phone. Besides, even for calls, Skype is free or much cheaper compared to phone services. And substantially so. Plus, there is encryption (more eavesdropping security) with Skype than phone calls.

And it is not RIM's fault that a gaming device got Skype. Lighten up
    It's not RIM's fault PS is getting Skype, but it's arguably RIM's fault PB is not getting it.
    04-24-12 10:16 AM
    I'm not sure how many times that Skype has said that they will not, have not, wont be, dont have any intention, of developing a Skype app for the Playbook. Get over it people, it's not coming.
    maddie1128 and homer1475 like this.
    04-24-12 10:19 AM
    If you read your posted article you would have noticed that Skype as been on the PSP for a while. The only thing new here is that they have added camera support to a device that now uses mobile as well as WIFI connections. They also have Facebook, Twitter, Four Square, Flicker, Netflix, and Hulu as these have also been available for the PSP for a long time. So I don't really see the relevance of comparing an update to an existing platform vs bringing to a new platform. For all you know it was Sony Devs that did the programming based on old contracts and agreements. For all you know it is MS that has frozen Skype out of the Playbook to limit competition.
    musical1806 likes this.
    04-24-12 10:20 AM
    Don't you have a phone? You could keep in touch that way!
    Yes, a 9810. It doesn't even have a front-facing camera, let alone Skype.
    04-24-12 10:20 AM
    RIM could really make this device something great if they could just get Skype, Netflix and Slingbox apps. I won't say I am upset to see PS Vita get Skype, but I would say I am hopeful that if MS is willing and able to get this rolled out to the Vita then RIM should follow Sony's lead and get this developed for the Playbook / OS10 ASAP. If it costs, then it would still be worth it to enhance the value of the products they are selling.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    04-24-12 10:22 AM
    Well, you can't video chat with a phone. Besides, even for calls, Skype is free or much cheaper compared to phone services. And substantially so. Plus, there is encryption (more eavesdropping security) with Skype than phone calls.

It's not RIM's fault PS is getting Skype, but it's arguably RIM's fault PB is not getting it.
    Almost positive the the vita just has android player like the playbook so all it is an android app.
    04-24-12 10:24 AM

Dont think its rims fault pb is not getting skype. There is something more happening in the back ground that we dont know.
    04-24-12 10:24 AM

Seriously, I don't know why you bother. I'm waiting on someone to infer that the PB doesn't need to have Skype because you have legs... why don't you just walk to the person and say hello?
    elbo and kennyliu like this.
    04-24-12 11:33 AM
    One question for the "it ain't RIM's fault" section: I think most level-headed people would agree that RIM does need a decent cross-platform videochat application (one that is already established).

If MS/Skype is blocking this (I'll suspend my disbelief for a second), why isn't RIM pursuing a secondary, albeit less widely used option... like ooVoo? Or is ooVoo in on the conspiracy too?
    04-24-12 11:36 AM
    Almost positive the the vita just has android player like the playbook so all it is an android app.
    If this is true, then does that mean all we have to do is the .apk changed to a .bar file, load it on the PlayBook and then our Android Player will make it work on the PlayBook?
    04-24-12 11:40 AM
    Skype on a mobile device falls in the "toy" category, not "tool". Most people that need video conferencing do so from the larger screen on a laptop/desktop, not a 7" device. Businesses, at least larger ones, use some other software/hardware dedicated for business use.

I'm sure it is a amusing toy, but the begging for it is over the top. There are plenty more useful and pressing needs that need attention. Not even going to touch Netflix with Amazon Prime available and Hulu Plus out there.
    middbrew and blackmoe like this.
    04-24-12 11:45 AM
    Really? Unless this thread is to tell us that Skype is available for BB - what is the purpose of this thread???
    Some people can only kick their dog so many times before they need to vent somewhere else.
    04-24-12 11:50 AM
    I know this maybe a little bit of a stretch but to everyone who wishes, wants, needs or must have skype.....

Why did you buy a device without Skype?
    grumpa likes this.
    04-24-12 11:54 AM
    Skype on a mobile device falls in the "toy" category, not "tool". Most people that need video conferencing do so from the larger screen on a laptop/desktop, not a 7" device. Businesses, at least larger ones, use some other software/hardware dedicated for business use.

I'm sure it is a amusing toy, but the begging for it is over the top. There are plenty more useful and pressing needs that need attention. Not even going to touch Netflix with Amazon Prime available and Hulu Plus out there.
    Hold on...

My job, which I would humbly describe as extremely crucial to the small demographic I serve, demands that I have to do face-to-face meetings with people who need me at any given time. These people are quite mobile themselves, and more than once, a "face-to-face" talk has been the difference between life or death. Literally.

I am not NASA, and don't have the backing of a Super PAC or lobbyists. My yearly budget is laughably small. So every tech device I have has to be worth every dollar, and has to be very functional.

There are plenty of other small time professionals like me who use mobile technology in this way. The lack of a serious videochat client makes the adoption of the PB hard to justify. Everyone lost to another platform make the PB long-term viability less assured.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-24-12 11:57 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD