Just searched the Skype site, and while I see the iPad app, there doesn't appear to be a PlayBook one...

Anyone help out here? Did I miss it? Or...???

Jim
    01-08-12 09:42 AM
    There is no skype app for the PB, we are hoping to get one sometime.
    01-08-12 09:44 AM

sooner would be good, eh!
    01-08-12 09:47 AM
    I would suggest to email Skype and request it for Playbook. I did that myself and I even got response from them. Rumors are that Skype will come after or with 2.0 OS release next month.
    01-08-12 09:50 AM
    You can try a few different ways if you need to do a video chat with someone. There is an app called realportal, which has both video and text chat and is free, look it up in he app world.
    And here is AOL-AV chat, it works well.
    AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    01-08-12 09:52 AM
    i find av by aol not that great or tge reelportal. but for the momment its all we got . im gonna email skype tought
    01-08-12 10:42 AM
    I would suggest to email Skype and request it for Playbook. I did that myself and I even got response from them. Rumors are that Skype will come after or with 2.0 OS release next month.
    are you really sure? i would not be much suprized if skype be never on a playbook, qnx or bbos, forever.

the only atemped was verizon and skype in a way it was just called skype. skypw was never running on a bb as far as i know.

so for skype bb,s never were interesting (or rim didnt want skype as the carrier demanded it?)

the only way to get skype is the rooted playbook, and then still only phone but kot vid functionality -as far as i know.

just checked skype.com and there are a few threads about playbook and bold 9900 as well asking skype but as far as i was willing to read no answers exepct the stanard user infos.

really frustrating as i really would like to have it on my pb . also a wosh i know which never will be fullfilled, skype on my bold. also flash would be cool, flash sucks but even in two years we will need it or have less "real" internet.

two of my main issues with rim and my bb
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 01-08-12 at 12:19 PM.
    alpha_q and keith1000 like this.
    01-08-12 11:30 AM
    I am going to email them. I am sure that if they knew there was demand they would do something! It would be crazy not too!

I am going to do the same to Amazon about a Kindle app. A long shot I know! But if there was enough interest - they'd do it.
    allhookedup and Berrimad like this.
    01-08-12 11:39 AM
    I am going to email them. I am sure that if they knew there was demand they would do something! It would be crazy not too!

I am going to do the same to Amazon about a Kindle app. A long shot I know! But if there was enough interest - they'd do it.
    i think it is not only a economic decision but also a strategical one. skype is now owned by Microsoft.

But of course if there is a chance to get skype on the playbook at least (still I wish I can get it for my bold ;( ) - I guess we should start a thread were we aks to go to skype website etc if every crackberry user write one to two emails or starts threads on skype forum etc perhaps we will be heard
    01-08-12 12:26 PM
    i think it is not only a economic decision but also a strategical one. skype is now owned by Microsoft.

But of course if there is a chance to get skype on the playbook at least (still I wish I can get it for my bold ;( ) - I guess we should start a thread were we aks to go to skype website etc if every crackberry user write one to two emails or starts threads on skype forum etc perhaps we will be heard
    Well Microsoft is afterall a software company. They would definitely want as many people using skype as possible. They've sort of lost track of that for a while but now with them coming out with Office for iOS I think they're back on track.
    01-08-12 02:34 PM
    Emailing Skype to show support for the PB is a good idea. I just did it and suggest that everyone with a Skype account that has a playbook shoot'em an email. What could it hurt?

Here's the link to make a customer support request with Skype:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...stomer-Service
    01-08-12 06:23 PM
    from the browser go to imo.im
    not the greatest interface but you can run skype from there.
    01-08-12 06:30 PM
    Seen a few other posts talking about getting a beta version of skype running via a rooted playbook hooked up with os 2.0. Not sure about the success of such ventures...

Would be awesome to be all skype'd up on ma playbook though
    01-08-12 06:36 PM
    for the meantime you could use imo.im
    it has voice/chat but i tried getting the video chat to work but no luck
    01-08-12 06:41 PM
    Tango is a cross platform video chat. They have a request section and it clearly mentions the bb tango status. i am unsure how it compares with services such as skype but i have it on my android phone, windows pc, ipods, ipad and my brother uses it on his iphone. i am not in a good position to provide better info but if you search on tango on blackberry you can find a place to make your voice heard. it also lets you leave video messages if they do not answer.
    keith1000 likes this.
    01-08-12 06:55 PM
    Well Microsoft is afterall a software company. They would definitely want as many people using skype as possible. They've sort of lost track of that for a while but now with them coming out with Office for iOS I think they're back on track.
    thats true but i also remember well games xbox and pc like halo or fable.

so i hope of course that I'm wrong here! really.

just read my post from before and uff I really know why I prefer the 9900 keyboard over the Playbook virt. one
    01-09-12 03:54 PM
    Emailing them and bombarding the forums with requests, as well as using the playbook to do so (they will figure out eventually that it is NOT an android device accessing the site) will surely get their attention.

After all, there are about 850.000 of us out there right?

EDIT: As I did with SugarSync, I'm doing my part with Skype >> Pesting them in the forums. What will you do? Sit and complain or take action?
    Last edited by diegonei; 01-09-12 at 06:29 PM.
    01-09-12 06:19 PM
    I emailed Skype and received the following response:

__________________________________________________ _________________

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.

We understand that you wish to know when can you get Skype on your BlackBerry PlayBook. Please let us explain.

Unfortunately, the device you are using is currently not supported by Skype.

We are working on adding more devices all the time, but we are not able to provide you with an exact time frame for when your device may be supported.

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into it.

We will pass on your request to our development team for consideration and potential inclusion in a future release.

However, implementing changes and creating new features can take time, which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future.

Please be patient while we work to make Skype even better.

Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

M Hisham
    Skype Customer Service

Happy Holidays

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Skype needs to hear from us. Send an email and show them the playbook is not only here to stay, its a force to be reckoned with.

J
    01-09-12 07:08 PM
    RIM should leverage their position and manufacturing power to make this happen with Skype and not assume that the PB customer base wants to vid chat with each other...money spent early on made it impossible to outfit family members or expect others to buy the PB for family vid chats or business.
    01-09-12 07:46 PM
    Skype or we all boot Bing off our pb's!!! UNoccupy Bing!
    01-09-12 08:08 PM
    I've actually found skype to be not that great, especially with multiple participants...but I haven't compared it to anything else.
    01-09-12 08:15 PM
    I amazed that both Skype and Netflix are still not on playbook. PS Vita hasn't hit US yet and we already know that it will have Netflix at launch! What's up with that?!? It doesn't seem as though RIM has worked hard enough with both Skype and Netflix to get them on PB.
    01-09-12 08:24 PM
    I emailed Skype and received the following response:

__________________________________________________ _________________

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.

We understand that you wish to know when can you get Skype on your BlackBerry PlayBook. Please let us explain.

Unfortunately, the device you are using is currently not supported by Skype.

We are working on adding more devices all the time, but we are not able to provide you with an exact time frame for when your device may be supported.

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into it.

We will pass on your request to our development team for consideration and potential inclusion in a future release.

However, implementing changes and creating new features can take time, which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future.

Please be patient while we work to make Skype even better.

Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

M Hisham
    Skype Customer Service

Happy Holidays

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Skype needs to hear from us. Send an email and show them the playbook is not only here to stay, its a force to be reckoned with.

J
    Interesting i got the same email exactly with one noteable addition...my email reply also said to be patient...why would she tell me to be patient for something that is not in development ? I think skype is coming and we will get it soon.extra emails will not hurt to speed up work
    01-09-12 08:25 PM
    Interesting i got the same email exactly with one noteable addition...my email reply also said to be patient...why would she tell me to be patient for something that is not in development ? I think skype is coming and we will get it soon.extra emails will not hurt to speed up work
    So we need to keep hammering them.... All in favor? I am!
    diegonei and Berrimad like this.
    01-09-12 08:34 PM
    She was just copying and pasting, the fact that she added that extra line doesn't mean anything, and you certainly can't assume that it is in development for the PlayBook.
    01-09-12 08:38 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD