Skype introduces video calling for Android phones - The Globe and Mail

Article in the globe and mail this morning - It seems that since the Microsoft acquisition, our chances of seeing Skype on the Playbook have increased a little:

�We are committed to bringing Skype video calling to as many platforms as possible,� Skype�s product and marketing chief Neil Stevens said in a statement.
    I don't know if it is just marketing lip service, but I feel that the fact that MSFT is releasing it for the android platform in a market where its Windows 7 phone competes, then there is a good chance that Blackberry isn't too far off.

Just my thoughts and opinion.
    06-30-11 09:29 AM
    Skype has to be on as many platforms are possible to be the No 1 VOIP service.

Microsoft never cared about "competition". Microsoft Office for Mac is there bestselling product after Windows itself. They make millions of dollars with it.

Skype didn't get acquired for its technology, but for its user base. Microsoft is back in the game to be a "cool" brand on every device if they slowly make their name present in the Skype software. It's about branding, not about profit.

They will never make 8 billion dollar profit from Skype. But they will sell more of their own software and devices if the Skype software is convincing.

Just like Apple did with the iPhone - iPod - iPad / Mac.
    06-30-11 09:36 AM
    that sounds about right, but some of us are a bit skeptical about big name apps arriving here.
    06-30-11 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD