RIM already stated that Skype was working on a PlayBook version (that was supposed to be available at launch).

As far as I am concerned, the email you received is from a staffer who isn't aware of what is going on in his company.
    fatherslot likes this.
    05-09-11 03:20 PM
    RIM should have been in bed with Skype instead of Microsoft.

Proper Skype implementation with dual camera video-chat and true multi-tasking is a system seller. For Skype, it is a $5-$10 app that people would pay for.
    Bing..is the ugly child that you'll eventually warm up to.
    RIM probably values a Microsoft Lync Client more than a Skype Client. Lync would be more useful to Enterprise Customers than Skype is.

For consumers, getting a WLM client with VoIP and Video Calling would probably be more useful seeing as how WLM has 4x the active users Skype does.

I guess it depends on how you look at it, but I don't see it as a huge loss.

And there are rumors that Microsoft/Facebook/Google are looking to buy or invest in Skype.
    05-09-11 03:52 PM
    RIM already stated that Skype was working on a PlayBook version (that was supposed to be available at launch).

As far as I am concerned, the email you received is from a staffer who isn't aware of what is going on in his company.
    Maybe the email came from an Ex Staples employee LOL
    But seriously I agree with the plausibility of this statement
    05-09-11 03:56 PM
    My concern is that the Android player is now really going to hurt the native app availability for PB. Why would you develop a specific app when you can run one already available for another platform.

I doubt I will get anything back but have sent an email to Mike and Jim.

I will keep you posted of any response.
    I understand, but why should we care if it works? Do you expect poorer performance from the android player than for native apps?
    05-09-11 04:14 PM
    I have no knowledge of software development, so forgive me if I'm oversimplifying. How difficult and how costly would it be for Skype to develop an app fo Playbook? The program doesn't seem that complicated.

Put me in the camp with those who expected Skype at or near launch. If the OP's information is correct, I'll be second-guessing my purchase for sure.
    05-09-11 05:18 PM
    For consumers, getting a WLM client with VoIP and Video Calling would probably be more useful seeing as how WLM has 4x the active users Skype does.
    I too am disappointed with the news from Skype, but I would settle for WLM if it will allow me to do video calls seamlessly on the PlayBook.

Does WLM work well on Macs?
    05-09-11 05:48 PM
    I have been using another cross platform video chat application that is easy to set up and use.

I am curious to see what you guys think of this. It is called Reel Portal and there is a Playbook App already in Appworld for this.
    More information is available in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/vi...-skype-612682/
    I have been testing it between my pb and my wifes samsung
    galaxy s. It works great os far.
    05-09-11 06:16 PM
    I really think that that guy Neil is just a RIM hater. Why would RIM advertise it, if it wasn't in the pipeline? Tablet with FFC, 1st logical app is Skype. Skype would be idiots not to implement this SW of the PB.

I SAY - If Skype doesnt want in, RIM can create a Cross Platform Video Chat App. Why not? How much can it really be??
    For real? He's a RIM hater because his company is waiting to see if the PlayBook is a success before they waste their time (money) on creating an app for a platform that just entered the tablet market?

Am I a hater of salt, because I would rather see how dinner tastes before I add any to it?
    Last edited by avt123; 05-09-11 at 06:34 PM.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-09-11 06:31 PM
    I think it would be a good idea to shoot an email, asking for Skype, to RIM as well. RIM has a better chance of convincing Skype to make an app for the Playbook than we do.
    05-09-11 06:36 PM

Like I said, that email is BS. No person speaking for the company, who knows what he's doing, would say something like "Well, you asked for X but we're already doing Y and Z and will not do X until it's worth it." Even if that's what they are thinking internally, they would NEVER say such thing to potential customers or fans.
    Last edited by Intosh; 05-09-11 at 06:43 PM.
    05-09-11 06:39 PM
    05-09-11 09:17 PM
    Well since RIM is in beds with MS this will work out well
    05-09-11 09:38 PM
    Microsoft is givn' RIM some serious lovn'..........Microsoft is about to purchase Skype.....It'll be here soon...
    05-09-11 09:41 PM
    damn you guys beat me to it...

woot woot!!!
    05-09-11 10:03 PM
    LOL that someone earlier today said RIM should have been in bed with Skype instead of MS...

Seriously though, I don't know if that's a positive or negative in terms of Skype on the PB.
    05-09-11 11:53 PM
    Sad to say, but the only reason MS would buy Skype for $8 billion is that they are going to make it only available on MS Windows and their mobile 7 devices...maybe BB will be able to buy in, but first thoughts are everyone will get f@cked equally by this rumored purchase. Which may be a good thing for RIM if Apple and Google don't get it either, but a big lose for the consumer. Hope I'm wrong. Doesn't make sense otherwise to pay that much.
    05-10-11 12:11 AM
    LOL that someone earlier today said RIM should have been in bed with Skype instead of MS...

Seriously though, I don't know if that's a positive or negative in terms of Skype on the PB.
    :P Yes I said that earlier today and Microsoft is proving to be very agressive cross platform and it's putting it's money where it's mouth is.

That being said, if Microsoft took Skype and made it exclusive to MS windows and mobile 7 devices, it would be dangerous IF Skype was profitable. Since it is not currently profitable, they need Skype on as many platforms as possible communicating and doing video with each other. Blackberry Tablet OS please!
    05-10-11 12:23 AM
    I understand, but why should we care if it works? Do you expect poorer performance from the android player than for native apps?
    But then I would have purchased an Android device and not a PlayBook.
    05-10-11 12:50 AM
    Its shaping up to be:

Microsoft + RIM + Nokia

VS

Google / Apple
    05-10-11 01:15 AM
    Would be awesome if Microsoft flipped it on everyone and killed the Android & iPhone apps, then made it exclusive for BlackBerry and WP7.
    05-10-11 01:28 AM
    Let's just hope MS isn't going to make Skype exclusively for their Windows (Phone) platform.

We could all use a bit Skype love.
    05-10-11 04:34 AM
    Done deal for 8.5B.
    05-10-11 07:37 AM
    These things always take time to shake out...but I think this makes it more likely to see Skype on PB than if Google had bought them. You have to expect Mike and Steve were chatting about that before he got on stage.
    05-10-11 08:02 AM
    MS isn't going to abandon the other platforms, part of the reason they're buying Skype is because of Skype's 663+ million users, getting rid of Android or iOS support or making it Windows exclusive would be a stupid move on their part.

I do hope that this announcement increases the chances of Skype on the Playbook sometime soon.
    05-10-11 08:30 AM
    I think we may be entering a new era that is less Apple vs Android vs Rim vs MS etc and more one of co-operation and sharing. May be wishful thinking but we'll see....
    05-10-11 08:43 AM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD