04-27-13 04:29 AM
59 123
tools
    I wouldn't count on any backdoor way to sneak the full Skype experience. I have heard chatter to suggest that RIM wants to incorporate it into their own video chat client, but I guess we'll see...
    Could they do this against Skype's wishes? No one outside those two companies knows where or who the hold-up is, but supposing that Skype is at fault for a moment, is it technically possible for RIM to plug into Skype's customer base that way? Why hasn't Apple done it with Facetime then?
    04-01-12 12:10 AM
    I wouldn't count on any backdoor way to sneak the full Skype experience. I have heard chatter to suggest that RIM wants to incorporate it into their own video chat client, but I guess we'll see...

BUT speaking of that vid chat client on the Playbook... I know people who have purchased Playbooks for faraway family members just BECAUSE of the vid chat. It's arguably much better than Skype.
    Haven't exactly done that myself but I can relate here, I've noticed that it works quite well from PlayBook to PlayBook. It is a very handy client, especially with the enhancements PlayBook OS 2.0 brought to video chat it makes it more user friendly in telling you which of your contacts are able to chat with you.
    04-01-12 12:12 AM
    This Skype on BB phones saga has been going on for at least 3 years. When every other phone has had it for years.

During all of this long charade and passionate pleas from loyal BB users. Email blitz,s to Skype. RIM have been silent all this time on the subject.

I think it's time that the loyal users got some straight answers from RIM on this topic, which is obviously not going away. In fact they are loosing customers with the lack of Skype. Like it or not, Skype is now a key mainstream app.
    04-01-12 01:19 AM
    How is it a dead platform. I think it is way too early to put on a toe tag. Some are waiting for the phones to be released. If it sells well then there is a larger base of customers for the apps. If it was launched complete it might have sold better from day one. Better sales would have pulled in more developers. A phone is a little easier to sell compared to a tablet so there will be larger numbers. Will they be big enough? It's hard to say but we will see at some point.
    Dead platform in terms of usability and also as general terms. The age of OS doesn't count if no one is interested in it. I don't think it will survive another 18 months. Everyone was saying that Symbian is live and have a long way to go, but see, the lack of app developers made it a dead platform(of course there were some mistakes from Nokia side too).
    The way RIM keeps on pushing web apps and shouting "Say NO to NIBS", I guess PB will be dead soon. Of course I will be happy to be proved wrong by RIM (I own a PB, I don't wanna see it go to waste)
    But you can see the that being ignored by popular application devs like Skype is a sign of what I am saying. These are my opinions as a consumer.
    As a PB owner I like you want that PB and BB survive.

I know people who have purchased Playbooks for faraway family members just BECAUSE of the vid chat. It's arguably much better than Skype.
    That was the second reason I bought two Playbooks, the first one was price. But still you can't gift a PB to everyone you wanna chat using skype. I don't care now that Skype comes to pB or BB10 or not but still we should have some answers.
    Last edited by ManiDhillon; 04-01-12 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Cleaning & More Content
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-01-12 01:55 AM
    Personally, I am not a huge skype user, but I can empathize those who are itching/dying for the app.
    04-01-12 03:18 AM
    For me, Skype completes the playbook. I use it at home for family and its our main communication medium in the office.

1. Skype
    2. of a lot of bug fixes
    3. Better file management

Does anyone know if whatsapp works for the pb?
    04-01-12 04:29 AM
    This just in: Skype will be included in bb26... Or maybe just the demo.
    right year 2026

lol
    04-26-13 04:03 PM
    Well, apparently skype may be included in the new q10 - the keyboard bb10 phone - at least, there was mention of it on the CB home page.
    04-26-13 06:15 PM
    Our "waiting" situation is like those families who has one or two members trapped on collapsed building after the math of magnitude 9 earthquake... the longer we wait, the less chance of finding survivors... the "hope" starts from "optimistic", to "realistic", to being "pessimistic" and the last part, "acceptance" i.e. believe everything is part of a divine plan...

I'm beginning to see members on every stages... some still "optimistic", some being "realistic", some becoming "pessimistic", and some already give up by accepting the current PlayBook as it is... whatever it is, I don't think it is part of a divine plan...

Posted via Z10
    04-27-13 04:29 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD