Hi, I've had playbook for about two weeks and so far I love it.
    I was looking through blackberry website and saw this app world screenshots and I'm seeing this skype app in it. I took a screenshot see the attachment.
    Since I am new on this tablet world, I don't know if it's just false ad to lure the consumers to buy this tablet, or if this is available only for beta.
    I am just confused...

sorry if this topic is a repeat.

link: BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet Owners Apps Accessories Updates & Support
    10-30-11 05:49 PM
    False, under handed and misleading advertising. As a Playbook owner, everything about it makes me feel cheated!

Sad but true.
    mlg321 likes this.
    10-30-11 05:55 PM
    yea its more than likely not coming.
    KermEd likes this.
    10-30-11 05:59 PM
    false advertising welcome to the playbook world
    10-30-11 06:02 PM
    that photo has been there since before the PB was released. Its just blatant false advertising.
    10-30-11 06:05 PM
    It really is odd that that picture is still on their site. Unconscionable.
    10-30-11 06:36 PM
    Yay! A pretty picture!

Google is your friend. PlayBook plus skype equals no.

If you base your purchase on a picture or commercials you kinda get what you were after...a picture.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-30-11 06:53 PM
    I don't know - does IM+ have skype or not?

The website seems to indicate that...

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...&platform=none

"Chat within MSN�, Yahoo!�, Google Talk™, AIM�, MySpace™, Jabber, ICQ�, Facebook� and Skype™"
    10-30-11 06:55 PM
    With OS2, you can use skype thanks to Android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-30-11 07:04 PM
    With OS2, you can use skype thanks to Android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Does that mean it can be side loaded now?
    Has anyone done this?
    10-30-11 07:16 PM
    Yay! A pretty picture!

If you base your purchase on a picture or commercials you kinda get what you were after...a picture.

so what your saying is he shouldn't buy something due to a company's advertising? maybe Rim should start offering a trial basis so we can see how full of crap they are.
    sharpehenry, mlg321 and adamkesher like this.
    10-30-11 07:17 PM
    I don't know - does IM+ have skype or not?

The website seems to indicate that...

IM+ for BlackBerry PlayBook :: Products

"Chat within MSN�, Yahoo!�, Google Talk�, AIM�, MySpace�, Jabber, ICQ�, Facebook� and Skype�"
    I think right now it's unknown if that part of IM+ will work on the playbook or not. For $20 which is $10 more then on other platforms it better.
    10-30-11 07:27 PM
    the smartest way to look for apps is to search it via the app world installed on ur PB itself. that way only the apps that are compatible with the PB will show up...... if u go and look now there is no skype advertised there.
    10-30-11 07:36 PM
    I have skype on my PlayBook... A picture of skype LOL... skype nonetheless, just can't use it
    10-30-11 07:42 PM
    right now you can use Skype in imo.im, just go to that website and log in....the other party needs to be on imo too though...
    jfelen likes this.
    10-30-11 08:18 PM
    right now you can use Skype in imo.im, just go to that website and log in....the other party needs to be on imo too though...
    I don't use skype but when I've tried imo.im all though it works it doesn't work well. If I go away from the tab it's running in it signs out or needs to reconnect when I check it again. Yes I'm in showcase, all of the web based IM's do this.
    10-30-11 08:25 PM
    And people wonder why the naysayers and whiners and complainers still frequent this place - Because rim is still misleading folks about the pb. And old threads saying that Skype does not exist does not bring people up-to-date - skype still DOES NOT EXIST even if Rim shows its logo on the rim/pb site.
    10-30-11 09:14 PM
    Have you guys tried the reelportal.com app? Works pretty well and no signup/in required.

We use Adobe Connect Pro at work and they have a nice mobile app for the PlayBook.
    10-30-11 09:26 PM
    One of the initial reasons why I bought the Playbook as an early adopter. How can one respect a company like RIM after all of this?
    10-30-11 09:30 PM
    And people wonder why the naysayers and whiners and complainers still frequent this place - Because rim is still misleading folks about the pb. And old threads saying that Skype does not exist does not bring people up-to-date - skype still DOES NOT EXIST even if Rim shows its logo on the rim/pb site.

I dunno - I think a lot of people mislead themselves, made assumptions - this skype hype all came from a picture of a playbook with a skype logo on it, right? Good chance that at the time they really thought they would have it.

Didn't anyone do any hard research to confirm it was available before jumping the gun?
    Sorry, no sympathy...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-31-11 at 03:34 AM.
    10-30-11 10:39 PM
    Yay! A pretty picture!

Must you talk to this poster like he "didn't do his homework" and is naive because he believed what was advertised by the company on their website? Pretty much every Fortune 500 has enough integrity that their advertisements for goods and services they sell can be believed. I guess RIM needs some kind of special accommodation.
    10-30-11 10:49 PM
    Must you talk to this poster like he "didn't do his homework" and is naive because he believed what was advertised by the company on their website? Pretty much every Fortune 500 has enough integrity that their advertisements for goods and services they sell can be believed. I guess RIM needs some kind of special accommodation.
    wasn't talking directly to him...in general...if you make an uninformed purchase...and it does NOT do what you saw in a picture...or a commercial...then you did YOURSELF a disservice...

Now my crack team of law experts are getting a case together...I was driving down a bumpy road in the rain and the Michelin man did NOT show up and throw new tires on my car....and the batch of sea monkeys I bought...there's no glasses on the dad one...at least I think it's the dad...
    10-30-11 11:05 PM
    so what your saying is he shouldn't buy something due to a company's advertising? maybe Rim should start offering a trial basis so we can see how full of crap they are.
    it's called due diligence...and it's nobody's fault but your own if you believe everything you see...

take siri for example...at first glance...the commercial depicts it as a flawlessly working fully developed program, that will interpret natural speech patterns with stunning accuracy...while in a tiny orange square nestled next to the siri blurb that you have to SEARCH for on the apple website...it says BETA...nowhere on the commercial...

but, I guess that's ok for apple to do...since they're the popular kid...
    10-30-11 11:25 PM
    I dunno - I think a lot of people mislead themselves, made assumptions - this skype hype all came from a picture of a playbook with a skype logo on it, right? Good chance that at the time they really though they would have it.

Didn't anyone do any hard research to confirm it was available before jumping the gun?
    Sorry, no sympathy...
    It sounds as if that picture is still showing. I have not verified it but if so - it should be removed.
    10-30-11 11:27 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    False, under handed and misleading advertising. As a Playbook owner, everything about it makes me feel cheated!

Sad but true.
    you sound like a little child! ....grow up!!
    10-31-11 01:12 AM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD