10-02-12 08:14 PM
34 12
tools
    There's a holdup in the Bronx,
    Leave my birth borough out of this skype discussion.
    09-30-12 09:36 PM
    BB7 and the Playbook aren't really the main focus right now. It looks to me RIM is sticking to their own route and focusing on BB10. It seems they will be creating new things of their own that will be on BB10 only. So Skype may not be there in the future, but something that is similar to it will be. In my opinion, I just don't think these popular services will all of a sudden start supporting BlackBerry when we see more discontinuing support of BB... And right now, it looks like most of the focus is on BB10 so any hope of getting Skype or any other cool services is with BB10. Only time will tell..
    Last edited by Maxey05; 09-30-12 at 10:26 PM.
    09-30-12 10:19 PM
    That's cool and all, but it doesn't make Skype an "always on" type of app that it needs to be. Basically, you are unreachable unless you are actively logged into he html5 site. Skype on mobile is meant to be an always on type of app. It would be better than nothing, but a far cry from what we want.
    10-02-12 01:14 AM
    BB7 and the Playbook aren't really the main focus right now. It looks to me RIM is sticking to their own route and focusing on BB10. It seems they will be creating new things of their own that will be on BB10 only. So Skype may not be there in the future, but something that is similar to it will be. In my opinion, I just don't think these popular services will all of a sudden start supporting BlackBerry when we see more discontinuing support of BB... And right now, it looks like most of the focus is on BB10 so any hope of getting Skype or any other cool services is with BB10. Only time will tell..
    And I think its right for BB to concentrate on BB10, but I think its a mistake to go down the blinkered approach of just developing their own stuff that only works with other BB h/w, unless its new stuff (i.e not generic stuff like Skype). They are operating from a position of weakness now, so need to make and get support for tools that integrate closer with other OS's rather than the opposite. Just my POV.
    So making their own VOIP app for instance which only works if you have another BB hardware limits how attractive the phone/tablet is to your average punter.
    Back on topic I think HTML5 is the best option here, as it takes the requirement for BB port support from Skype out of the equation, and as pointed out above currently companies are moving further away from BB rather than closer.

Yes, with HTML5 it may not always be on, but at least you can use it, which is not an option now (unless you go down the unsupported sideloaded route, which does not give you video anyways)
    10-02-12 02:52 AM
    Its interesting - Skype itself I can live without.

imo.im or aol.com/av work alright for me,
    but when travelling overseas it is a decent VOIP client that lets me connect to home for cheap on US 1800 numbers (for airlines/hotels) that is necessary.
    10-02-12 07:18 AM
    Sooooo, what are the alternative apps on can use other then Skype?
    10-02-12 02:35 PM
    Sooooo, what are the alternative apps on can use other then Skype?
    Look on the first page & read what post #6 says.
    10-02-12 03:16 PM
    I've had moderate to very good success with faceflow.com recommended to me on a similar thread its as simple as it gets no software to DL just chat from the website so its not a hard sell to get people on board.
    Give it a try the only thing I would say is you need a good modem router set up.
    phylez likes this.
    10-02-12 05:28 PM
    I love the smell of Skype thread in the morning.
    10-02-12 08:14 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD