im think of getting a blackberry playbook.Do u think that it will get skype eventually like in a few months or when bb 10 comes out?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    09-30-12 07:30 AM
    thinking*

09-30-12 07:31 AM
    so many threads with the answers... search tool is your friend
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-30-12 07:39 AM
    It hasn't come yet, I see no reason for it to suddenly appear. If BB10 is successful, it'll probably come then. Otherwise, no.
    09-30-12 07:40 AM
    There are rumors that it will be built in, but haven said that if it is a necesity for you don't count on it.
    09-30-12 07:57 AM
    For now playbook users use www.imo.im to skype video chat. But its really hard to predict if they'll ever develop for BB10, microsoft owns skype and they would always want windows phone to do better than BB10.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-30-12 08:11 AM
    Why not ask them yourselves. The more that ask the better the odds.

[email protected]

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-30-12 at 08:29 AM.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-30-12 08:26 AM
    Maybe it'll be integrated in the video chat, maybe it'll work in outlook.com, maybe it'll work in the browser when the HTML 5 version is done, maybe it will never work.

There is no reason for MS to hold it from blackberries as they want the most users they can get. If you watch this [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhhbN-SFt4[/YT] at around the 2:28 mark and see what they say.
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-30-12 08:33 AM
    so many threads with the answers... search tool is your friend
    So many threads, yes. And no answers. So searching would have helped this person very little more than learning what people are hoping for or mad about.

To the OP: Nobody anywhere can be held down to a definitive answer they will swear on a stack of bibles to. There are rumors as always, and "my brother's cousin's next door nieghbor's roommate that works for RIM and says [....]" but thats old hat and leaves you where you started.... Without an answer.

Believe me, we all want to know this, and we are right there with you waiting. The previous post had a video that gives the u reason to be hopeful, but none of us were there and I am sure the second the spokesperson said that, had we been there, we would have brought his monologue to a crashing halt replete with the sound of a record scratching as the needle is dragged off and ask him, "hey, buddy, you just said skype. Are you able, then, to confirm that the playbooks will have skype the?"

... But those of us who keep an unbiased, open mind know what would have been said. "um... Um...... Er....."
    Last edited by kb5zht; 09-30-12 at 08:51 AM.
    09-30-12 08:41 AM
    So its a bit of a loaded question. Does the playbook have apps that allow for cross platform communications? The answer is yes and there are at least three in the App store. Does it have the Skype app, the answer is no. Will it come to this platform? I think so. Skype is popular because it was a pioneer in the computer communication field and the program was essentially free. As to the product itself, I will be honest and say it is not my favorite. Over WiFi, the video phone is always a dodgy process. It does in a pinch but it is far from great. Most of the time when people phone me on Skype, I just hang up because the whole process is deeply frustrating.

To be honest, RIM prides itself on being a communication platform so I would be surprised if we didn't see this App in the next few months. microsoft could be petty and hold out but I doubt it.

If the video we saw a few days ago is correct, RIM has got video chatting, with text and screen sharing working simultaneously through BBM. If this is the case, it's a huge advance particularly if it was cross platform (this is a big if). However, it is my impression, this is all coming down the pipe in some fashion. It would help explain RIM's sudden interest in a 4G playbook last summer. I firmly believe that RIM is pushing to make the playbook a true communication device.
    09-30-12 09:08 AM
    A move to the web, however, means a more portable future. If the client complies to HTML5 standards, it will be playable on any browser and any operating system. That means that the future of Skype is much, much brighter than we worried it would be.
    Skype is Going HTML5
    09-30-12 09:18 AM
    And HTML5 support on the PlayBook/BB10 is very good, so the question here is: Will Microsoft block it via browser ID?
    09-30-12 10:45 AM
    I guess that will be found out in time. One question I have is in the QNX car video they show that using it. The QNX car system has access to everything blackberry like the app store etc. so does the QNX car system report as being blackberry?
    09-30-12 10:49 AM
    Very good question. And the idea of calling a car and video chatting is very compelling.
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-30-12 10:51 AM
    Very good question. And the idea of calling a car and video chatting is very compelling.
    Would that be Car 54, Where are you?
    09-30-12 10:56 AM
    Would that be Car 54, Where are you?
    Feel like James Bond and Jean Luc Picard at the same time! ^^

�On screen�!
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-30-12 11:01 AM
    thanks guys

09-30-12 11:19 AM
    If it eventually does become available in cars, hopefully common sense with prevail and it will be disabled for the driver while the vehicle is in motion. We have enough carnage on the roads now with mobile devices distracting drivers.
    EricB1968, bungaboy and diegonei like this.
    09-30-12 11:33 AM
    I was at a race track recently and watched people trying to walk and text. I watched several people walk into each other, one guy walk into a light pole and another guy walk in front of a moving car in the pits.
    I wonder if these are the same people that insist that texting while driving isn't a distraction?
    09-30-12 02:35 PM
    If it eventually does become available in cars, hopefully common sense with prevail and it will be disabled for the driver while the vehicle is in motion. We have enough carnage on the roads now with mobile devices distracting drivers.
    It is and will.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-30-12 02:37 PM
    A Skype thread on the boards for 8 hours and no insults I'm beyond pleased by this even if it has been beat down to no end.
    I'm for it don't need it but want it on my pb.
    I use Skype quite frequently personally if it does not make it to the pb I will live as I have it on the laptop and my t300 I just like the portability of skype on a pad its the ultimate for on the go video chat and I know a thread such as this makes smoke eminate from certain ears but its no reason to stroke out about it.
    As always the views expressed by the author of this post does not necessarily reflect anyone
    else's view just the opinion of said poster.
    But I do like the civil tone of this thread.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-30-12 at 05:11 PM.
    09-30-12 03:21 PM
    Nope never gonna happen.
    09-30-12 04:44 PM
    Nope never gonna happen.
    I think we need this as an auto-answer for these threads...
    09-30-12 04:55 PM
    Nope never gonna happen.
    Oh snap! Someone from RIM is responding!!!

I have a few questions for you, since you obviously work for RIM.

When is 2.1 coming out?
    When are the BB10 phone being released?
    When will the PB's be upgraded to BB10?

Jump in folks and ask madman questions! He's an official insider! He knows all!!
    09-30-12 06:01 PM
    There's a holdup in the Bronx,
    09-30-12 08:52 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD