Why this $90 Billion British Insurer is High on BlackBerry PlayBooks | ZDNet

One of my favorite lines is
    "Neal Fiske, whose job in business development for Formicary requires him to keep up with financial service customers, says that interest in the PlayBook in this sector is stronger than media reports would suggest."
    01-20-12 02:33 PM
    Why this $90 Billion British Insurer is High on BlackBerry PlayBooks | ZDNet

One of my favorite lines is
    "Neal Fiske, whose job in business development for Formicary requires him to keep up with financial service customers, says that interest in the PlayBook in this sector is stronger than media reports would suggest."
    Probably correct. The real question is whether demand is stronger than RIM's balance sheet suggests.
    01-20-12 02:36 PM
    Good to see positive coverage for a change.
    01-22-12 07:48 AM
    that's nice how they kinda created their own app
    to use the email client.
    once 2.0 is release I'm sure more companies will look into
    the playbook. The missing email was a big letdown
    01-22-12 07:58 AM
    I like this quote from the article "as a device the pb is actually very solid and feels remarkably mature"
    01-22-12 08:10 AM
    Quote: This, coupled with the security aspects of the Playbook and the ergonomics of the device, helped form the decision for it to be our tablet of choice” for this pilot.

Quote: For Aviva, Formicary instead chose to use Adobe Systems’s AIR platform and Flash, instead.

Quote: Formicary wanted to make sure that when users were holding the PlayBook in a normal position, the “thumbs can reach all of the screen. easy!

Quote: The form factor, ergonomics and robust feel of the PlayBook has been very well-received by the users

Quote: Any organization that has a predominance of BlackBerries is absolutely looking at the PlayBook,” he said. “The multi-tasking is better than iOS

Quote: becomes something of a beacon or lighthouse for the PlayBook in the enterprise,” Fiske said.

Quote: Or as Aviva’s Heybourne tantalizingly puts it, “Any field force role where data collection is required could benefit from this type of device.”

Slam! argue with that haters! i'm sure you will
    kbz1960, dentynefire and hpjrt like this.
    01-22-12 08:39 AM
    Probably correct. The real question is whether demand is stronger than RIM's balance sheet suggests.
    RIM's balance sheet is fine, you know it but just want others to believe different. 1.5 billion cash, no debt. cash profit coming in. All the costs for the future OS are behind them.
    I know, now your going to tell us how much all the other companies have. that dosen't matter. We here are talking about RIM and their fine!
    Lhendr likes this.
    01-22-12 09:13 AM
    Sun Life was preparing to use PlayBook months before it was released.

TORONTO, ON (November 5, 2010) — One of the greatest challenges for employers who offer group retirement plans is getting their employees to take action. Sun Life Financial is developing an easy and immediate solution – wireless enrolment using the new BlackBerry® PlayBook™.

“It sounds crazy, but we’re looking at the possibility of a 300 percent return on investment as we roll out our BlackBerry PlayBook tablet solution.”

For a video showing the app at work:

Sun Life Financial - Wireless Enrolment
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-22-12 09:17 AM
    Sun Life was preparing to use PlayBook months before it was released.

TORONTO, ON (November 5, 2010) — One of the greatest challenges for employers who offer group retirement plans is getting their employees to take action. Sun Life Financial is developing an easy and immediate solution – wireless enrolment using the new BlackBerry® PlayBook™.

“It sounds crazy, but we’re looking at the possibility of a 300 percent return on investment as we roll out our BlackBerry PlayBook tablet solution.”

For a video showing the app at work:

Sun Life Financial - Wireless Enrolment
    I'm not sure where the significance is with this on PB. Sunlife Canadian headquarters is located in Waterloo, so they are neighbors to RIM's head office.

Merely using PB as dedicated device for group retirement saving plan enrolment seems overly exaggerated. I've done this using web pages and never thought we'd need a dedicated device for it.

What is the 300% return for this project? How is it achieved? Are other companies rolling out PBs and apps to employees so that employees to help with their enrolment process to group retirement and savings plans?
    01-22-12 10:47 AM
    I'm not sure where the significance is with this on PB. Sunlife Canadian headquarters is located in Waterloo, so they are neighbors to RIM's head office.

Merely using PB as dedicated device for group retirement saving plan enrolment seems overly exaggerated. I've done this using web pages and never thought we'd need a dedicated device for it.

What is the 300% return for this project? How is it achieved? Are other companies rolling out PBs and apps to employees so that employees to help with their enrolment process to group retirement and savings plans?
    Did you read the article? They are using them in their sessions, not assigning PBs to all employees just for filling out forms. To do it as a web page would require having a PC set up for each user in the session. Handing out PBs with the forms allow the users to fill out their forms right away, leading to quicker enrollment in the plan and removes the risk of the forms getting put aside and not returned, requiring follow-ups. It also eliminates the need to input the written information from the forms, speeding up the process and minimizing data entry errors.
    01-23-12 05:47 PM
    Another great quote:

You don’t need something like the size of an iPad for business.
    01-23-12 05:48 PM
    Did you read the article? They are using them in their sessions, not assigning PBs to all employees just for filling out forms. To do it as a web page would require having a PC set up for each user in the session. Handing out PBs with the forms allow the users to fill out their forms right away, leading to quicker enrollment in the plan and removes the risk of the forms getting put aside and not returned, requiring follow-ups. It also eliminates the need to input the written information from the forms, speeding up the process and minimizing data entry errors.
    Of course I did. First of all, having a dedicated session to get employees enrolled to group retirement and saving plan is bogus. It requires 10 minutes of reading to acquire everything you need to know before you sign up, and you can do so using your own PC which is what everyone in our company did. Second, PB is wasted for being used as dedicated input devices for such an insignificant use, probably this is due to PBs being so cheap now making it an ideal disposable device for uses like this.

This is hardly a game changer for PB. It's nice to see PB getting interesting uses regardless, but it would have been more interesting if the company was not affiliated with RIM geographically.
    01-23-12 10:37 PM
    Positive article but still the author needs to throw in as many jabs at RIM as he can fit.. its really sad to see so much hate towards a company trying to turn things aroun.
    01-23-12 10:47 PM
    One of those apps cited meant "employing four developers who worked non-stop over two month"... Most potential business buyers of the Playbook just don't have or won't expend those kinds of resources turning the Playbook into something useful to them. They'll grab the iPad, instead, which already has every conceivable app known to humankind. The article does illustrate the potential of the Playbook's hardware, though.
    01-23-12 10:59 PM
    One of those apps cited meant "employing four developers who worked non-stop over two month"... Most potential business buyers of the Playbook just don't have or won't expend those kinds of resources turning the Playbook into something useful to them. They'll grab the iPad, instead, which already has every conceivable app known to humankind. The article does illustrate the potential of the Playbook's hardware, though.
    So you're saying that the iPad has an app that incorporates all of the necessary information relevant to Sun Life already? With up-to-date database changes? Wow that truly is amazing! You'd best tell Sun Life about that!
    01-23-12 11:14 PM
    I suspect its large corporations recent purchases that is the reason for the PB sale ending sooner. Now Jan28 their sold out people!

http://www.berryreview.com/2012/01/2...-january-28th/
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-24-12 at 01:52 AM.
    01-24-12 01:48 AM
    This isn't about the iPad, please stay on topic or go talk about your preferred device on TiPB...
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-24-12 01:58 AM
    Of course I did. First of all, having a dedicated session to get employees enrolled to group retirement and saving plan is bogus. It requires 10 minutes of reading to acquire everything you need to know before you sign up, and you can do so using your own PC which is what everyone in our company did. Second, PB is wasted for being used as dedicated input devices for such an insignificant use, probably this is due to PBs being so cheap now making it an ideal disposable device for uses like this.

This is hardly a game changer for PB. It's nice to see PB getting interesting uses regardless, but it would have been more interesting if the company was not affiliated with RIM geographically.
    wow your just a ray of positive sunshine aren’t you?

Look at the DATE...Sunlife was right after the Playbook came out & was selling for $500.As for Aviva, They started this program B4 the price cut too...but close enouph that maybe they got a good deal....
    01-24-12 02:03 AM
    Nice article. When 2.0 hits next month I think we will start to see a lot of positive articles about the PlayBook.
    01-24-12 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD