The slider will not move. I can change the timeout values and can change from battery to plug but the slider will not adjust.

I thought someone mentioned some trick or other that locked it but not seeing the screen makes searching harder and then the mobile site will not search just this forum.

(Original submission that lead to some of the comments. Clearly, I need spell check and autotext:

The slider will not move. I can cjange tje timeout balues and can change from battery to p,ug but tje slider will not adjust.

I thougjt someone mentioned some trick or other that locked it but not seeing the sceen makes searching jarder and tjen the mobile site will not search kust this forum.)

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by F2; 05-12-11 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Fixed 100's of typos!
    05-12-11 06:34 PM
    No habla espanol...... lol jk, I had the same thing happen..
    05-12-11 06:44 PM
    Danke!

Great. I konw I read something but search on ,brightness, did not find tje thread.
    05-12-11 06:56 PM
    Are you typing with gloves on?
    05-12-11 07:27 PM
    No, I had marbles in my mouff!

And back to the original question - apparently, in full lighting, the screen may auto-adjust and you cannot manually move the slider.
    05-12-11 08:23 PM
    I posted about it when somebody asked the same question about three days after the Playbook was released. When in the sun the slider was locked, but when I went inside it worked.

I think it may have to do with QNX's experience with other devices that may be used at night or daytime.

For example, one of the FAQs on marine gps sites is to turn up the screen brightness if the screen is blank. With a marine gps you could set the backlighting very dim for a night trip and then the next day when you turn on the gps, it is so dim in the sunlight you think it is dead.

Robert
    05-12-11 09:25 PM
    i just posted this in another thread regarding the same question:
    yup happened to me too. i figured out that whenever a bright light is hitting the sensor at the top bezel, next to the Front facing camera, the slider toggle for screen brightness would lockout. try covering the sensor with ur finger (the red led thing to the left of the camera) until u see the screen brightness auto adjust (if u have auto adjust enabled). then, while keeping ur finger over the sensor, open the screen brightness adjustment menu and u'll be able to adjust it.

this also worked for me when i already had the menu open and then covered the sensor and waited for the brightness slider to come alive again.

seems though that with auto adjust enabled, it comes close to max brightness anyways when in a very bright environment.

hope that helps!
    05-12-11 09:33 PM
    Actually, I did try covering the sensor but maybe with the otterbox screen protector kind of raising my finger, I might not have been able to seal out the bright sun. Or I might not have held it there long enough. What I guess I want to know - does the screen automatically go to full brightness in full sun no matter where the slider is located? Or is it just that the slider is "locked" but there might be more lighting "horsepower" but you can't get to it? So I will have to play outside in the sun - I think we have one more day of it in Seattle!!!!
    05-12-11 09:51 PM
    very simple, if you have 'automatic backlight dimming' switched on, and are siiting in bright lights ( outside for instance ) the screen brightness cannot be adjusted. simply switch off the automatic dimming, and adjust again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 10:02 PM
    very simple, if you have 'automatic backlight dimming' switched on, and are siiting in bright lights ( outside for instance ) the screen brightness cannot be adjusted. simply switch off the automatic dimming, and adjust again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It happens whether you have automatic back lighting on or not. I just tested mine outside. I have been thinking about the logic for this and I go back to my original theory that it is related to devices being used in dim to daylight.

I assume with automatic backlight on, it will only get as bright as your setting so if you were in a job where you went from dimmer to daylight you would have problems reading the screen in the daylight.

For example, military, fire, police, ambulance and etc, could set a level for use in their vehicle or inside, which would save power and then when they went outside they could see the display clearly without going into settings every time.

Robert
    05-13-11 10:27 AM
    Just did a few tests with my playbook while by a window on a bright sunny day. Here's what I've found.

"Automatic Backlight Dimming" only dims the display, and only if the ambient light is low enough to trigger it. Think night time right before bed with no lights on, turn off the auto backlight dimming and prepare for a shock.

Now in bright areas, the Playbook will notice the higher light level and override whatever you set the brightness to be with the max setting. It might actually be a touch brighter than the max you can set with the slider. There is no option to turn it off, and only increases brightness, not decreases, that's the Automatic Backlight Dimming's job.

To be honest, I'm okay with how it's handled, as I can't see myself in any situation where I would want my Playbook to be too dark to see while in a bright area. I was a bit confused when I first noticed the feature and couldn't adjust the brightness. I was showing off the PB screen to my father in his car and I wanted it the display brighter, remembering that I usually leave it as dark as possible. The slider was of course whited out, but still in the spot I usually leave it, so I thought it was stuck in the lower brightness setting, not really a great way to make a first impression. A clearer indication in the Screen options menu as to what's happening would be nice.
    05-13-11 10:42 AM
    subscribed
    01-22-12 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD