Cheese N Rice and Holy Dog Doo, don't even need a stop watch to see that Simple Browser loads wayyyyy faster than stock Playbook browser!!!

I was soo impressed a paid for Simple Browser plus.

I did some side by side page loads on my and my wife's playbook using crackberry forum pages which are dead hog slow to load, bam SB is sweet.

That's my review, your welcome.
    10-24-12 06:44 PM
    You're right, I just checked this out and it's much faster. My only concern is whether it's secure or not to enter passwords in.
    10-24-12 07:07 PM
    Not my experience at all. Especially with flash and Java turned off in both, the stock Browser loads CB forum pages in less than half the time that Simple Browser takes.
    10-24-12 07:10 PM
    There's a simplebrowser support/discussion thread if you want more hints and tips on use its worth a read. A lot of us are using it as our default browser. Hatax the author seems well respected here and i have no worries saving my passwords.
    10-24-12 07:13 PM
    Crackberry.com is VERY Javascript heavy. Use the native browser, turn off Javascript and then load Crackberry.com. It's relatively quick loading it with it on but it's a huge improvement with it off. Obviously you don't get the same experience with Javascript turned off though.
    10-24-12 07:15 PM
    Tested right now.

Site: crackberry.com
    Playbook browser with javascript activated: 9 seconds.
    Playbook browser with javascript deactivated: 3 seconds
    Simple browser: 5 seconds

Site: amazon.com
    Playbook browser with javascript activated: 4 seconds
    Playbook browser with javascript deactivated:: 3 seconds
    Simple browser: 5 seconds
    10-24-12 07:27 PM
    Question: Can Simple Browser turn Javascript on/off on a per-bookmark basis? For example, there are many sites where I don't need/want the baggage of JS, but other sites where it must be enabled or the site falls on its face. It's a PITA in the native browser turning JS on and off.
    10-24-12 08:08 PM
    Question: Can Simple Browser turn Javascript on/off on a per-bookmark basis? For example, there are many sites where I don't need/want the baggage of JS, but other sites where it must be enabled or the site falls on its face. It's a PITA in the native browser turning JS on and off.
    That's one of the requests over on the official support thread.
    dugggggg likes this.
    10-24-12 08:24 PM
    t's a PITA in the native browser turning JS on and off.
    What I do is run the stock browser with java and flash turned on. I also have sideloaded on my PB Air Browser (not the file browser), which is the same as the native browser and which someone extracted from the BB10 Dev Alpha. I run Air Browser with java and flash turned off. This way, I use Air Browser for general use and will only open Browser when I know that I'll need either flash or java. Most sites don't need flash or java.
    dugggggg and jamesharmeling like this.
    10-24-12 09:37 PM
    I'm not as tech savvy as the rest of you. What do I lose if I turn off java?
    dugggggg likes this.
    10-24-12 09:45 PM
    What I do is run the stock browser with java and flash turned on. I run Air Browser with java and flash turned off. This way, I use Air Browser for general use and will only open Browser when I know that I'll need either flash or java.
    Good tip. I suppose the same thing could be done substituting SimpleBrowser for Air Browser---without the need to sideload.
    10-24-12 09:48 PM
    I'm not as tech savvy as the rest of you. What do I lose if I turn off java?
    The effect varies from site to site. On some sites, all you get is a blank page. Usually, some buttons and hyperlinks simply do nothing. Often, you get a message asking you to turn Javascript on. On many sites, a savvy webmaster has provided you a virtually identical browsing experience. On CrackBerry, most common features continue to work---although the Like button royally misbehaves. (So if I Like your post, please recognize the hoops I needed to jump through to do it.)
    10-24-12 10:01 PM
    Will it trick espn.com into letting watch the embedded videos?
    10-24-12 10:15 PM
    What I do is run the stock browser with java and flash turned on. I also have sideloaded on my PB Air Browser (not the file browser), which is the same as the native browser and which someone extracted from the BB10 Dev Alpha. I run Air Browser with java and flash turned off. This way, I use Air Browser for general use and will only open Browser when I know that I'll need either flash or java. Most sites don't need flash or java.
    Where can one obtain Air Browser?
    10-24-12 10:42 PM
    Where can one obtain Air Browser?
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f661f...4A8CD45E%21210
    10-24-12 10:44 PM
    I use SB+ primarily for ad filtering -indeed, ad was a show-stopper for the whole tablet world until I heard about SB. SB triggered my buying.

But, back on topic, a faster SB may also be due to some ads being silently filtered: your page will show faster if a hidden pixel doesn't phone home to describe what you are hovering upon, etc.
    csolis likes this.
    10-25-12 01:30 AM
    So Air Browser is basically identical to the PB's browser? Just another instance of it?

Cool! Might be useful for when you want to isolate buggy Flash sites, etc., while maintaining a functioning browser in a separate instance - and, AFAIK, something unique to the PB (at least in the tablet space).

RCK
    10-25-12 02:50 AM
    BTW, does anyone know how to modify the contents of a bar file to cause the app to install as a separate instance of itself? In other words, what do I change to make AIR Browser into "AIR Browser 2" and thus get another copy of browser process running?

Note: I extracted the contents and played around with the browser-app.xml file - specifically, the "<id>" and "<name>" tags (changing both). However, subsequent attempts to install it error out in DDPB. Any advice/input would be appreciated. I'd love to do a multi-browser (5 or 6 separate instances) video showing off the PB's multitasking.

RCK
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    10-25-12 03:50 AM
    I wasn't aware of the add filtering capability. Just purchased SB+ and works great!
    10-25-12 05:10 AM
    So if I sideload air browser, will it eliminate the stock browser?
    10-25-12 12:33 PM
    So if I sideload air browser, will it eliminate the stock browser?
    No. They'll both run, and simultaneously if you want.
    10-25-12 12:57 PM
    What is strange is that I have issues with, some sites, with the native browser and Simple Browser but not with Dolphin.
    10-25-12 03:18 PM
    So I installed Air Browser and it runs just like the stock browser, no issue there. But I am unable to uninstall it. It said something with error 535 permanent when using DDPB.
    10-25-12 05:51 PM
    So I installed Air Browser and it runs just like the stock browser, no issue there. But I am unable to uninstall it. It said something with error 535 permanent when using DDPB.
    Oops. Forgot about that. The PB sees it like it sees the other stock apps, so it can't be uninstalled.
    10-25-12 07:29 PM