A minor annoyance, but a few days ago I was holding my PB and felt a sharp bit on the back. Turns out it was a piece of silver flaking off the back logo. Strange, since when I'm not using it I place it in the pouch. Not a big deal but it does give the tablet a cheap-ish feel to it now. I always felt RIM should have gone with a full metal back -- at least at the original MSRP.

I'm not returning it for this, since I've got no dead pixels and no bulge--but has anyone else experienced this?
    02-10-12 03:34 PM
    Just a guess but all metal might interfere with radio signals.
    02-10-12 03:37 PM
    That's what I was thinking. The radio antennas would have been shielded if the cover was made out of metal. Would have suffered the iPhone 4 syndrome.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-10-12 03:43 PM
    That's what I was thinking. The radio antennas would have been shielded if the cover was made out of metal. Would have suffered the iPhone 4 syndrome.
    The "iPhone 4 problem" only applied cellular voice and data, not wi-fi. Also, you'll note that the wi-Fi only iPad has an all-aluminum rear panel, while the 3G iPad has an aluminum with a small rubberized section behind which the 3G antenna is located.

In other words, RIM didn't pass on aluminum because of wi-Fi or 3G reception concerns.
    02-10-12 04:16 PM
    The "iPhone 4 problem" only applied cellular voice and data, not wi-fi. Also, you'll note that the wi-Fi only iPad has an all-aluminum rear panel, while the 3G iPad has an aluminum with a small rubberized section behind which the 3G antenna is located.

In other words, RIM didn't pass on aluminum because of wi-Fi or 3G reception concerns.
    Agreed. There are a few other Android tablets that have metal backs as well--it wouldn't interfere with reception. Nevertheless, at $299 I'll deal with plastic its just I wish the back was more durable.
    02-10-12 04:46 PM
    I'm not returning it for this, since I've got no dead pixels and no bulge--but has anyone else experienced this?
    Well when you say no bulge you mean totally flat or just very small? I thought the consensus was that the totally flat units were older models which overheated frequently; causing the bad bulges. Where as the ones that come with the slight bulge don't get so hot so it remains slight. How hot does the logo get on your PB?
    02-10-12 05:09 PM
    Well when you say no bulge you mean totally flat or just very small? I thought the consensus was that the totally flat units were older models which overheated frequently; causing the bad bulges. Where as the ones that come with the slight bulge don't get so hot so it remains slight. How hot does the logo get on your PB?
    Mine doesn't wobble on a table so I think its pretty flat but maybe not perfectly flat. The back gets warm but never what I'd call hot. My power button is the raised version so I'm not sure what version I got.
    02-10-12 05:15 PM
    New PBs seem to have the raised button & don't wobble, however if you put them on a perfectly flat surface, they will spin as the middle is ever so slightly raised.
    02-10-12 05:34 PM
    I keep my PB in the convertable case 24/7. I don't have to deal with a bulge and it protects the logo area.
    02-10-12 05:42 PM
    Buy a journal case. It protects the screen while traveling and hides the 'broken' berry-back. No one will notice your little problem. BTW I have no problems with the logo, but I keep it in a journal case. May you can try to fix it with superglue?
    02-10-12 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD