Hello Crackberry Nation,

Confession first. I was starting to lose faith in my BB. My Bold 9780 and the 8900 before it never let me down. However, the appeal of the fancy phones and their trinkets and gilded apps were staring to look mighty good. I recently entered the tablet hunt and was down to the Asus Transformer, Playbook, or ... yeah an iPad2. Today I felt myself slowly turning over to the Droid side of the force actually looking at things like benchmark tests and thinking about a tasty ice cream sandwich. Then I read about the Playbook price drop. It was a sign I think.

Now I've got a brand new 32gb Playbook charging on my desk, an otterbox defender case on the way, and I'm looking forward to the future. This price drop will be looked on as a failure, RIM's exit of the tablet market, and the usual doom and gloom. But I challenge that. I think this will be a moment that gets a lot of us Crackberry addicts off the fence and into QNX. I'm really looking forward to getting this guy set up.

Nothing really important to add I know, but just wanted to share.
    09-29-11 09:28 PM
    Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy your PlayBook. It is a work in progress, but good things take time. It will get better. Don't listen to all the negative nellys. I've had mine since May and it does what I need it to do. I look forward to even more improvements in the weeks to come.
    09-29-11 09:41 PM
    Congrats on a good purchase. I think come the end of October/ beginning of November all of us PlayBook owners will be in for a real treat when OS2 drops.

As for me, I didn't just look at an iPad 2....I bought one after I returned my release day PlayBook. Well here we are a few short months later and my iPad 2 is collecting dust while my PlayBook goes everywhere with me (bought a new 32gb with the Telus deal) and my Bold 9900. I too lost faith and saw all the shiny baubles and wondered what I was missing. Well at the end of the day I'm back with RIM all the way and loving every minute if it as those shiny baubles lost their lustre pretty quickly. I choose RIM.
    09-29-11 09:43 PM
    Hello Crackberry Nation,

Confession first. I was starting to lose faith in my BB. My Bold 9780 and the 8900 before it never let me down. However, the appeal of the fancy phones and their trinkets and gilded apps were staring to look mighty good. I recently entered the tablet hunt and was down to the Asus Transformer, Playbook, or ... yeah an iPad2. Today I felt myself slowly turning over to the Droid side of the force actually looking at things like benchmark tests and thinking about a tasty ice cream sandwich. Then I read about the Playbook price drop. It was a sign I think.

Now I've got a brand new 32gb Playbook charging on my desk, an otterbox defender case on the way, and I'm looking forward to the future. This price drop will be looked on as a failure, RIM's exit of the tablet market, and the usual doom and gloom. But I challenge that. I think this will be a moment that gets a lot of us Crackberry addicts off the fence and into QNX. I'm really looking forward to getting this guy set up.

Nothing really important to add I know, but just wanted to share.
    Awesome story completely agree - Playbook and QNX have a very bright future.

Love happy newbie playbook owners. The sales are bringing a lot of them in.
    The RIMpire is growing.

Thanks and welcome to Crackberry.
    09-29-11 09:50 PM
    The exit door is a revolving one. I left BB frustrated with my Tour but after a few months with an HTC Evo 4G I came back for the Torch. I think the grass is greener on the other side but after being there I say all the problems of other OS's.
    Nothing against Droids, if I leave it will be for a droid but after getting the Bold 9930 (yes I left ATT) I can now say I have the perfect phone. I also got a Playbook. Honestly, I've looked at all the specs and this thing is awesome. A bit light on the apps and everyone knows that but enough to make it work well. Together the BB and the PB are a powerful combination that really breaks away. It saves money and keeps us connected in a very nice form factor.
    I think you will love your PB as I have loved mine. This QNX will never fully replace the OS7 phones but the wow factor of QNX will be a welcome addition to the line-up.

Here is why I think we have made the right choice. The Playbook specs are simple better than the iPad2. 10% faster processor, better speakers, better cameras, etc. The iPad has the advantage on content but the Playbook is adding new apps and there is a big update coming and it will continue to gain critical mass. At that point the BB Playbook will have a noticeable advantage.
    You can upgrade software OTA but you can't upgrade hardware. Just ask the poor iPad1 buyers that had a camera slot already built in but no camera. No software will get them video chat. We actually have the better tablet and the software is going to be released soon. I know TAT was not acquired to build the Scrapbook app (nice as it is).

Even without fast upgrades I love my Playbook and use it all the time. With the current Staples sale of 249.00 you can buy 2 Playbooks for one spec inferior iPad2. Just need to stop listening to the spin and take a look at the specs and you will know which is the better tablet and the infinitely better deal.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-29-11 at 10:00 PM.
    09-29-11 09:55 PM
    new owner here too. i have a few issues some bigger than others but i do dig this qnx thing and think it has a lot of potential but jeez this app selection is pathetic. good thing i mainly use mine for surfing the web so so far it is passable. i'll probably stick around til this anticipated 2.0 update and if that fails me my mom just got her xmas present. internet and solitaire thats all she needs

i must say this os is legit, is there a qnx-developers.com haha
    09-29-11 09:58 PM
    Well, this will definitely get the Playbook i the hands of more and more people (which is the intention of the discounts and promotions). They need to get more pushed out for financial reasons and to fluff their numbers a bit. And when 2.0 hits for the Playbook I hope we are all blown away by the new capabilities. I have a feeling RIM will nail this one, even tho they have failed to deliver on some promises, RIM is in less and less turmoil as they near the end of this transition and will be in a better place to deliver come devcon. I am excited!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD