Hello!

I've recently discovered the joys of sideloading. In a short period of time I've sideloaded quite a few android apps. I haven't noticed a change in the speed of my PlayBook, but the battery does require charging more frequently. My questions: 1) which android apps are known to run in the background (even when closed) and 2) what is the best "app killer" available in BB World? Thanks for your help!

Best,

Reg
    Last edited by Fire In The Bones; 08-23-15 at 07:54 PM.
    08-23-15 07:17 PM
    1) Doens't matter. The Runtime doesn't work like that, some apps can (and just might) go rampant if they can run in the background.
    2) There are any? I know there are any for native apps. And even if there are some for android apps, the apps can just keep on running on the runtime.
    extisis likes this.
    08-23-15 08:02 PM
    08-23-15 08:11 PM
    That article is in reference to the Android OS and device, doesn't apply here. Nevertheless, the article still advises app killers for problem apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 01:28 PM
    Most any Android app can and probably will run in the background uncommanded. I can't speak for the PB because I I won't run Android apps, even ported, any longer, they were killing my battery and I won't have an app I can't control the permissions on. I deleted them.

But on my Z30 I was running a few for a while and while trying to get a handle on them, I was running 'Taskmanager', which is a ported android app from BBworld. It only displays and works on Android apps that are running, and you can kill them quickly . Some android apps are 'persistent', requiring several attempts to kill it, but it will kill them. You do have to periodically monitor it. There might be a PB compatible version. I've since deleted all Android apps off my Z30 as well. Not worth the hassle and they were laggy and unreliable , not to mention dragging my battery and memory down. I didn't need them anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    08-24-15 01:44 PM
    That article is in reference to the Android OS and device, doesn't apply here. Nevertheless, the article still advises app killers for problem apps.

Posted via CB10
    The android runtime in BB10 works the same way. My advice is that they don't work [task killers], android apps you regularly use will always be open in the background. IM+ was a big one, I have since deleted it. Battery drainers.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by extisis; 08-25-15 at 12:05 AM.
    08-24-15 10:56 PM
    The android runtime in BB10 works the same way.
    First, how do you know that, and second,, this is the Playbook forum, which uses a different runtime. As to the OP's original question, I don't think there are any dedicated task killers in app world, but there are some sideloads that work. The closest thing you'll find in app world that you can relatively easily use to kill apps is Quick App Manager. To use (as an app killer) open the app, then tap settings, then open, then applications, then manage applications, then running. Tap on any app that appears here, and then force stop. (it's not as involved as it sounds). From my experience, there are relatively few apps that actually will run in the background, and fewer yet if you haven't opened them since your last reboot. Also, as far as I can tell, there are no apps that will run in the background if you don't open the android player after rebooting.
    08-25-15 12:59 AM
    The android runtime in BB10 works the same way.
    First, how do you know that, and second,, this is the Playbook forum, which uses a different runtime. As to the OP's original question, I don't think there are any dedicated task killers in app world, but there are some sideloads that work. The closest thing you'll find in app world that you can relatively easily use to kill apps is Quick App Manager. To use (as an app killer) open the app, then tap settings, then open, then applications, then manage applications, then running. Tap on any app that appears here, and then force stop. (it's not as involved as it sounds). From my experience, there are relatively few apps that actually will run in the background, and fewer yet if you haven't opened them since your last reboot. Also, as far as I can tell, there are no apps that will run in the background if you don't open the android player after rebooting.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    08-25-15 01:00 AM
    i guess you're right, it doesn't behave the same way on the PlayBook but the apps that drain battery on PB's runtime are hardly found on BB10. IM+ is still a good example because i still have it on my PB, and no task killer will kill it. I just make sure i'm logged off but it's still running in the back. You can't tell these things the only thing you can gauge is battery draining and of course if you see it open via task killer. in general- task killers aren't useful. nor healthy for your OS. Easy to use sure- pointless IMO.
    08-25-15 08:57 AM