06-16-12 11:11 PM
137 ... 23456
tools
    Just sideloaded kindle, couldn't be easier. Took all of 5 mins if that. Now to find some cough cough free books. Thanks for the advise given in this thread.
    juacas likes this.
    02-23-12 11:01 AM
    I got Kindle sideloaded easy enough but it's not working very well. I get a screen with two panels. The top one has six of the forty or so titles I downloaded. One of the icons is much smaller than the others. I cannot move anything in thetop panel.

The bottom panel is labled Editor's picks. It a scrolling set of book covers. If I click a book the screen goes black for about ten seconds. It then goes white for about eight seconds. Then the book opens in about eight to ten seconds. It is almost impossible to scroll through the book.

This feels like some kind of memory problem.... I think. Everything else on the PB works fine as far as I can tell.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on?
    02-23-12 07:09 PM
    I just talked to Barnes and Noble and they are developing any Nook apps for the Blackberry phone or Playbook. Which is a bummar.. Maybe if we can get and updated Android Nook app that can be side-loaded that works then that problem can be solved. The only work around for now with my Nook Books is to break the key code and then side load it into my PB and use the Book Reader app to read the epub file. That does work but there just isn't any syncing from one device to another.

On another note, I just got off the phone with NetFlix and they are developing an app for streaming movies for the PB and the rep I talked to said that it could be available within a month.
    02-23-12 07:16 PM
    Good todo know, thanks guys, Im gonna try it tomorrow.
    02-23-12 08:03 PM
    Got it, love it, totally worth the time.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-23-12 11:36 PM
    Took the plunge last night and installed the tools to sideload Android apps. Sideloaded the Kindle Reader on my PB and on the wife's PB all in about ten minutes. Simple process using DDBP.
    Now, all we need is someone to re-package TweetDeck or HootSuite. Any takers out there?
    02-24-12 01:51 AM
    Grrrr...although I am against this in principle, I know my wife is gonna want Kindle on her Playbook...
    02-24-12 02:13 AM
    Is there a .bar version of google listen anyone has seen/used?? Can't find one anywhere but Kindle is great
    02-24-12 03:29 AM
    Grrrr...although I am against this in principle, I know my wife is gonna want Kindle on her Playbook...
    I can totally understand that kind of point of view... BUT...

1. It's not that hard to do. The .bar itself is a download, and the sideloader is pretty painless to install and use.
    2. It's considerably better than Kobo.
    3. I might feel more compelled to support Canadian-founded Kobo were it not that the Canadian chunk just got sold off a few months back.

All in all, the biggest boost in functionality in PB 2.0 might just be sideloaded Kindle.
    02-24-12 03:40 AM
    I've got it on my PB too now! It works really good. Maybe it's not absolute perfection but I'll take it. I had to strip the DRM out of the Mobipocket books I had bough a couple of years ago to make them work but they're really great, otherwise. Screw buying a Kindle device: That's one of the biggest things I wanted a PB for. Me is happy!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSOD1N5lR4[/YT]
    02-24-12 05:06 AM
    On another note, I just got off the phone with NetFlix and they are developing an app for streaming movies for the PB and the rep I talked to said that it could be available within a month.
    Not sure where this rep gets their info but check it out. No BB support including Playbook anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/#!/Netflixhelps/...38692086480896
    02-24-12 08:12 AM
    I was wondering about the sideloading of apps...really want to sideload the kindle app but I had a question. In the instructions, it says to put your playbook into developer mode. After you sideload the app, do you need to leave it in developer mode or do you put it back to normal after you're done sideloading the apps?

Thanks in advance!
    02-24-12 08:17 AM
    would be nice for us if you posted said instructions or a link here
    The instructions were on the main page of crackberry.
    02-24-12 08:31 AM
    I was wondering about the sideloading of apps...really want to sideload the kindle app but I had a question. In the instructions, it says to put your playbook into developer mode. After you sideload the app, do you need to leave it in developer mode or do you put it back to normal after you're done sideloading the apps?

Thanks in advance!
    I've wondered about that, too. I generally forget to close Developer Mode but it eventually closes itself. I'm not sure what it does or does not do if left ON.
    02-24-12 10:14 AM

Thanks in advance!
    No. You can disable it right away or let it expire. You can also delete Password protection if you want to. Once the Android apps are loaded, you can go back to using it in normal mode.
    02-24-12 10:20 AM
    I am amazed. I am less literate than most on here, but Bla1ze's tutorial was so easy to follow that I now have Kindle on my PlayBook and I can finally read all my books. Yippee.
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    02-24-12 11:12 AM
    Sideloaded kindle on my playbook yesterday. I followed the instructions and guess what; Works fine! Thanks guys. I'm back in business . With this app I'm more than happy with my Playbook. Hope more app are coming in the future.
    02-24-12 11:38 AM
    Sounds like the ip address isn't correct in DDPB. There's actually two ip addresses when in developer mode. One is your network ip and the other is your usb, Surprisingly DDPB needs the network even though it's connected via usb, don't ask me why this is, but it's how it always works when i side load apps. Usually a network ip is in this format: 192.168.XX.XXX, while a usb one is like this: 168.254.X.X

To get both to show, first put your playbook in dev mode, then connect it to your computer. Give it a minute for everything to detect and sync, then on your playbook click on the little guy w/ a gear symbol up and to the right of the clock, that info screen that appears should have both ip addresses shown. You can also go to options->about->network and that screen will have IPv4, IPv6 and MAC addresses, you want IPv4.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion. Cheers!
    I'm not sure if this is true. On ddpb installer 1.08 there is a search button and it always finds the usb ip (169.254.0.1) on mine.
    02-24-12 12:03 PM
    Just got my PB last evening...funny, there's a rush on 'em around here (Detroit area) with the price drop and the OS2 drop...wonder why? at least eight local retailers were out of stock. Got mine (the next to the last one) at a Best Buy 'way across town.

Booted up, and the OS2 update was flawless. Played around with the Kobo app last night, and I'm unimpressed.

Tried the Kindle sideload this pm, and it works like a champ.

Thanks, everyone!

Harryl
    02-24-12 12:20 PM
    I sideload from a Mac all the time. Search the forum and you will find instructions.
    I sideload on my Mac as well, but I can't seem to get Kindle working. Have you tried to load it? This is the only app that doesn't seem to want to work.
    02-24-12 01:24 PM
    Hey guys,
    I sideloaded a bunch of apps including kindle, google maps and the new york times and they all work really well.
    Google maps is way faster and with many more options than the playbook versions on app world..
    Kindle is great and moonreader is pretty good too..
    02-24-12 01:41 PM
    ugg... I have the Kindle app on and working but I can't figure out how to copy over a few mobi books to test it out. I used Desktop manager to copy them to the /device/misc/android/kindle folder but nothing showed up in the app..

I'ze seen reference to an sdcard directory but for the life of me I can't find it.... any tips anyone?

thx
    02-24-12 02:22 PM
    My world is now complete! The full App not the cloud reader! Workes like a charm!
    02-24-12 02:37 PM
    ugg... I have the Kindle app on and working but I can't figure out how to copy over a few mobi books to test it out. I used Desktop manager to copy them to the /device/misc/android/kindle folder but nothing showed up in the app..

I'ze seen reference to an sdcard directory but for the life of me I can't find it.... any tips anyone?

thx
    Hmm ... mine were all there once I logged in to Kindle. For some reason, YouVersion Bible also shows up in kindle list of books.
    02-24-12 03:24 PM
    Hey guys,
    I sideloaded a bunch of apps including kindle, google maps and the new york times and they all work really well.
    Google maps is way faster and with many more options than the playbook versions on app world..
    Kindle is great and moonreader is pretty good too..
    How does one uninstall an Android app? I installed what was listed as Google Maps after Kindle. Now the icon is "Latitude" and it seems to dominate all other Android apps and doesn't run either. Only a blank screen appears when I try to run any other Android apps installed. Would one of the Android loaders help by providing a means to uninstalled one of the apps?
    Thanks

Further:
    Rebooting cleared up the problem, but I want to uninstall the SKYPE app since it does nothing. Cannot chat, useless...
    Last edited by benhath; 02-24-12 at 05:42 PM.
    02-24-12 03:39 PM
137 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD