The last time I checked you could download the books to playbook storage, but if you weren't connected to wifi when you try to open the site, then it will not work.
    Exactly. There's no way I would compare the app to the cloud reader. I tend to read more when I am away from home!
    02-24-12 03:39 PM
    I was wondering about the sideloading of apps...really want to sideload the kindle app but I had a question. In the instructions, it says to put your playbook into developer mode. After you sideload the app, do you need to leave it in developer mode or do you put it back to normal after you're done sideloading the apps?

Thanks in advance!
    I just left it alone. It doesn't affect anything, other than having a tiny, non-intrusive icon next to your battery level icon. By the next day, it was gone, even though the permission was for 10 days. It is a non-issue.
    02-24-12 03:50 PM
    ok, I seem to be seeing them now after a hard reset. its good so far.
    02-24-12 06:31 PM
    I tried using these instructions several times, but couldn't get the Kindle app to open.
    Then did a security wipe.
    Then I went to the Goodereader site and used their DDPB Android loader (newer version 1.08 than the link above), and their Kindle app. It worked !
    I recommend the Goodereader site.
    02-26-12 07:53 PM
    I downloaded converted and signed this one if anyone wants to use it. Works well and i think it is version 3.2. If you want the bar just send me a PM
    02-26-12 09:32 PM
    Question about android-kindle - does it use LOCATIONS to find, well, locations in a book like the kindle readers? I was trying to match up where I left off reading on the k3 with the one in the pb. Oh, not an official download from kindle but locations work nonetheless on the k3.
    02-26-12 10:41 PM
    The problem with Kindle sideloaded as part of the App player is that every time you restart the PlayBook, you need to log-in to Kindle again. Therefore, if you had loaded books when you had wifi at home, but you were forced to restart the PlayBook when you are out, it means you won't be able to use Kindle until you had access to wifi again.
    02-26-12 11:40 PM
    The problem with Kindle sideloaded as part of the App player is that every time you restart the PlayBook, you need to log-in to Kindle again. Therefore, if you had loaded books when you had wifi at home, but you were forced to restart the PlayBook when you are out, it means you won't be able to use Kindle until you had access to wifi again.
    Nope, that did not happen to me. Been using Kindle for few days now, multiple reboots up to now already (sometimes QNXPlayer frozen, reboot is the only choice). Kindle opens even at where I was at my last book. Same things happened to Dropbox and other apps, no need to relogin/enter user info.

I have been playing with sideloading for few days with my MacPro and dozens of apps. Very happy! PB 2.0 + sideload = all tablet killer!!!
    02-26-12 11:53 PM
    That's strange. I don't need to log in every time I start it up. That is very odd that it's making you.

That would be really annoying.
    02-27-12 12:20 AM
    I had to reboot about an hour ago. Read that "log in" comment and just checked. Kindle android loaded and I did NOT have to log in. And as a poster above noted, when I reopened the book I had been reading, it opened to the correct page.
    02-27-12 01:06 AM
    It works perfectly : locations, dictionary and direct Google access.
    For me, it only remains to have email attachments selectable from within their folders, like being able to use Files & Folders directly to select your attachments, and the PlayBook would be 100% perfect.
    02-27-12 01:20 AM
    Wow. I am envious of all you fellows that are having such great experiences. My Kindle freezes up all the time; general problem with my Android apps. It randomly requires me to register again, sometimes within the same hour. It also randomly closes itself. On the bright side, when i finally get it working again, which usually involves restarting my Playbook, it takes me to the last page that I read. Even better, I can re-register through the bridged browser. Hope a native app is in the works.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-27-12 at 05:45 AM.
    02-27-12 05:42 AM
    I had to sign in only once.. I have to check. Maybe I selected the 'remember me' check-box or something
    02-27-12 05:58 AM
    I loaded mine from goodereader.com
    02-27-12 06:10 AM
    Kindle still working perfectly for me.
    02-27-12 07:27 AM
    I'm finding that Kindle is a bit less stable since the OS upgrade. It sometimes freezes and I have to do a reset to use it again. It also sometimes gets jerky/laggy. Maybe I should delete and reinstall.
    02-27-12 07:35 AM
    It works perfectly : locations, dictionary and direct Google access.
    For me, it only remains to have email attachments selectable from within their folders, like being able to use Files & Folders directly to select your attachments, and the PlayBook would be 100% perfect.
    Ah, I see, in order to see your current location, you need to use the GOTO option which then shows current location.
    02-27-12 09:28 AM
    As far as I know, sideloading only works when using a windows computer. Anyone with a mac is out of luck.
    Not so. It is straightforward to do on a mac as well.
    02-27-12 09:33 AM
    Not so. It is straightforward to do on a mac as well.
    and much easier than in windows in my opinion. On linux, it works the same way as well.
    02-27-12 09:37 AM
    It took me about 20min the first time I tried it but I was googling how to do it.

I sideloaded the Kindle app from my Macbook PRO to my dad's Pb in less than 10min on Saturday night.

Sideloading on a Mac is super easy.
    02-27-12 10:03 AM
    Update:

Well I got it to work and it was my obstinence (sp) that failed me. It appears I had to load desktop manager to get the proper drivers to detect my PB. I just hated loading that on my pc but that is what did it I am now able to sideload with ease

I had this problem too and this is what i did.

In the options view where you turn on Dev Mode you get one IP address mine was 169.xxx.x.x. Then when you go to the home screen you see a white icon indicating dev mode. Tap that and I get another I address, this one via my home default gateway which is 10.xx.xx.x.

I used the 10 address and the kindle app sideloaded instantly. I was able to access my account.

HOWEVER once I close the Kindle app I can't see the icon anywhere.

Sounds like the ip address isn't correct in DDPB. There's actually two ip addresses when in developer mode. One is your network ip and the other is your usb, Surprisingly DDPB needs the network even though it's connected via usb, don't ask me why this is, but it's how it always works when i side load apps. Usually a network ip is in this format: 192.168.XX.XXX, while a usb one is like this: 168.254.X.X

To get both to show, first put your playbook in dev mode, then connect it to your computer. Give it a minute for everything to detect and sync, then on your playbook click on the little guy w/ a gear symbol up and to the right of the clock, that info screen that appears should have both ip addresses shown. You can also go to options->about->network and that screen will have IPv4, IPv6 and MAC addresses, you want IPv4.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion. Cheers!
    Last edited by jrpbulk; 02-27-12 at 03:12 PM.
    02-27-12 11:31 AM
    Not true at all..
    02-27-12 02:11 PM
    Ok, after reading the blog post I just sideloaded my first two apps, Kindle and Google Maps. The process went prety easy but I'm having a few issues using the actual apps.

The kindle app has been super slow but that could just be settling in. I did manage to link it to my kindle account and pull down a book from the archive, but other than turning the pages one way or the other I can't figure out how to do anything!

For example, I want to return to the beginning of the book; how do I pull up a menu with that kind of option?

Any help appreciated!

BTW the Google maps app seems to have pulled my location off the GPS much faster than the native Bing maps or Magellan compass, just FYI.
    Drag down the menu from the top of the BB
    02-28-12 12:57 AM
    I loaded the Kindle app yesterday and even though I bought both the ePub Reader and Book Reader apps from AppWorld, the Kindle interface is the best. The Book Reader app will handle .epub and .mobi formats, but sometimes the font sizes and colours can't be changed and there are also occasional paragraph formatting issues that make some books unreadable.

I will take the extra step and convert all my .epub's to .mobi to use them in the Kindle app - and here is a great free site for the format conversion:

Online converter - convert video, images, audio and documents for free

I've also attached the .bar file I used (rename from .zip to .bar), I believe it is for Kindle 3.2.

Cheers!
    Last edited by kcorey; 02-28-12 at 07:04 AM.
    02-28-12 06:59 AM
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I just can't seem to find the answer...

Is there a way to increase font size of the books in the Kindle app? I swipe down and get a menu with a font picture but that doesn't do it?
    02-28-12 07:09 AM
137 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD