So I've been poking around some more and still can't figure out how to use this app. Now that I've got a book open there are no menu options, no way to navigate through the book other than single page flips, no way to exit the book or chose another one; just a white page with text.

How do I access menus?

**EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out! Swipe down from the top bezel DOES work! I had tried it a few times with no success but it looks like that was just lag in the Android Player.
    Good to hear you figured out. From the menu you can also download dictionary, which is not available on any other Ebook reader on PB.

The app itself isn't super fast, but I believe the performance is similar on typical Android tablet.
    02-22-12 04:59 PM
    Are the BAR files safe in that can it contain any malicious code that can have it call "home" (the original Android app may or may not have malicious is not what I am debating but the process of creating the BAR files is).

Should I be worried about providing my Amazon username/password for the Kindle app that was BAR'ed and that information is sent to the BAR's creator?
    02-22-12 06:07 PM
    Are the BAR files safe in that can it contain any malicious code that can have it call "home" (the original Android app may or may not have malicious is not what I am debating but the process of creating the BAR files is).

Should I be worried about providing my Amazon username/password for the Kindle app that was BAR'ed and that information is sent to the BAR's creator?
    Interesting question. All I can say is I have had it over 24 hours and have not yet gotten a bill for books someone else has purchased (or any product). Maybe they changed my login info!!!! YIKES.

But you are right - I have no idea where the bar file originated and who has had their programming mitts on it.
    02-22-12 09:04 PM
    are Mac users left out for side loading?
    02-22-12 09:08 PM
    If I get the extra time and oppurtunity tonight, I will give sideloading kindle a shot.
    02-22-12 09:29 PM
    Will somebody please explain "side-loading" in layman's terms! I have several APK apps that are in the Android Download folder on my playbook. How do I find them and get them to run? Do they have to be converted to BAR files first? Do I have to register as a Developer to do all this? Is side-loading reserved for only the Geeks in the group?

How about sharing some of the secrets of getting side-loaded apps to run!
    02-22-12 10:26 PM
    Also sideloaded kindle today, it is awesome. I actually purchased the kindle version of the physical book I'm reading now feels and works great!
    02-22-12 10:50 PM
    Will somebody please explain "side-loading" in layman's terms! I have several APK apps that are in the Android Download folder on my playbook. How do I find them and get them to run? Do they have to be converted to BAR files first? Do I have to register as a Developer to do all this? Is side-loading reserved for only the Geeks in the group?

It's putting your playbook in developer mode. Connecting a mini usb cable to playbook and then connect other end to usb on pc. Use a program on pc to send the .bar file to the playbook over usb. Thats basic side loading the playbook. After the install I then take my playbook out of developer mode and play with the .bar/app to see if it works or not.
    Last edited by EricB1968; 02-22-12 at 11:07 PM.
    02-22-12 11:04 PM
    Yes, you only need to add the .mobi file to the folder where the kindle is storing the prc files. The book is going to show with a blue square without a cover. I couldn't figure out a way to display the book cover on the app.

A few questions about android-kindle:

Can you sideload BOOKS? I see the kindle folder on the pb and see the prc files. Can I add books (drm free) to that folder? (edited to add: I see that you can - the pdf files I added yesterday don't show so pdf's don't work but I loaded a prc and mobi and they both showed up)

When viewing my archived items, it there a way to search rather than having to scroll to find something (and, yes, I noticed the fast scroll thingie on the right of the screen) but a Search the archives would be handy.

Thanks.
    02-22-12 11:13 PM

http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player

Bla1ze explains it best there
    02-22-12 11:14 PM
    Thanks guys, you are awesome.
    I just sideloaded the kindle app and it seems to be working like a charm

I had trouble finding the BAR file in the "official" Crackberry list. Someone had posted this link in another thread and it worked:

Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35.bar

With Kindle my PB lives again!!!
    02-22-12 11:17 PM
    You ought to download asphalt 6 from the app world
    02-22-12 11:18 PM
    Tried the sideload and man was it smooth. Thanks Bla1ze for the how to and thanks also to Xavier85 for the link request. I've have sideloaded a few apps and am stoked.
    02-22-12 11:53 PM
    Yes, you only need to add the .mobi file to the folder where the kindle is storing the prc files. The book is going to show with a blue square without a cover. I couldn't figure out a way to display the book cover on the app.
    Actually, the two books I moved do show Cover pictures. So I have a feeling it may depend on how they were created or, ahem, recreated and packaged.
    02-23-12 12:19 AM
    Ok, I'm losing my mind. Anyone...help please

I can sideload, app icons are on PB, but apps will not launch when touched

1) PB w/OS2 v2.0.0.7971
    2) Laptop w/XP and Java6 just updated
    3) USB cable

A) PB set to DevMode
    B) Connect to Laptop
    C) DM asks for password, then connects to PB, can see PB as shared drive
    D) Launch DDPB 1.0.8.0
    E) Enter PB IP (tried both USB IP and actual network IP with same result)
    F) Enter PB password
    G) Successfully connects to PB
    H) Click "ADD" in DDPB and select .bar downloaded from the "Make a List!" thread
    I) Select app from DDPB app list window
    J) Click "Install" (tried both with "Run on Playbook after finish" on and off with same result)
    K) DDPB shows installation of .bar after going through its process
    L) Icon appears on PB (doesn't automatically launch when DDPB set to do so upon installation)
    M) Touch icon on PB, will not launch (tried while in DevMode and out of DevMode, as well as PB restarts, all the same result)

The two .bar's I'm currently trying are Kindle and Pulse.

I have been able to successfully install other .bar's and they function fine: example Google Maps and Compass

Any ideas....? I'm a bit at my wits ends

Thanks'n'cheers
    Scott

[[Update: just installed Ghost Commander directly from AppWorld and it is doing the same thing. Icon there but does nothing when touched]]

[[Update#2: sadly, but happily, a full security wipe....and reload of everything fixed the problem]]
    Last edited by rttakezo; 02-23-12 at 03:25 PM.
    02-23-12 04:52 AM
    are Mac users left out for side loading?
    side loading works with Mac computers as well. Uses the same .bar files as windows.

I Just googled how to side load onto PB on a mac

here is the website I used to guide me through it, you have to already DL the .bar file from the links already provided in this thread.

Side-loading on the PlayBook with a Mac

enjoy
    02-23-12 06:24 AM
    would be nice for us if you posted said instructions or a link here
    I'm sorry, but there are way too many links and threads on side-loading already, I took it for granted that you all could use SEARCH to find them yourselves. I was just posting my experience and satisfaction on the process and use of an Android app on the PB with 2.0.

I've pasted the links that other good Samaritans posted in this Thread to my OP so there won't be any more lost souls looking for Sideloading information. Thanks to all!
    Last edited by chasvs; 02-23-12 at 07:08 AM.
    02-23-12 06:42 AM
    Thanks, guys! I've sideloaded Kindle, IMDB and Words With Friends and they all work fine. As soon as Zinio and Sonos Controller hit the PB, my iPad will probably be history!
    02-23-12 06:48 AM
    I've been using sideloaded Kindle on the beta OS 2 for months. In fact, it was my main reason for installing and keeping OS 2. My impression is that it's working better on the official release of OS 2. In fact, I sold my Kindle device after getting this app working on the PB.
    02-23-12 07:08 AM
    I had to log in again to access the app today. I sideloaded it yesterday on bridge, checked it out, quit the app, then loaded it again last night on wifi without having to log in. This morning, back on bridge, I loaded it up again and was asked to log in ("register") despite having done so yesterday. The books I had loaded on the PB yesterday were still there, but I'd prefer not to have to log in every time I want to use the app.
    02-23-12 07:41 AM
    So I followed the instructions to Sideload Kindle for Android on the New OS 2.0 and it worked just fine! Signed into my Kindle account on the App and there were all my Archived titles ready for download as I need them. Downloaded the current book I'm reading (on my iPad) and it opened right where I left off last night.

If your waiting for Kindle in the Marketplace, you may want to look into the Sideloading process. It's really quite easy and well worth the time and effort.

Sideloading Tutorial by Bla1ze: http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player

Kindle app: Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35.bar
    This fired me up to do the same thing last night. So smooth and easy. It took hours to back up my Playbook first (33+G of data) to be safe. But the process of reviewing the tutorial, downloading and installing the files on my PC, then sideloading the apps took minutes (< 30) future sideloads will be even quicker now that I am set up...

Thanks to all involved here.
    And did you notice, this is the main article today on Crackberry
    02-23-12 08:10 AM
    I loaded the Kindle app, Dolphin Browser, and Pulse. It took me awhile to get the knack but once I did it was easy. The directions on the forum are great.
    02-23-12 09:06 AM
    So I followed the instructions to Sideload Kindle for Android on the New OS 2.0 and it worked just fine! Signed into my Kindle account on the App and there were all my Archived titles ready for download as I need them. Downloaded the current book I'm reading (on my iPad) and it opened right where I left off last night.

If your waiting for Kindle in the Marketplace, you may want to look into the Sideloading process. It's really quite easy and well worth the time and effort.

Sideloading Tutorial by Bla1ze: http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player

Kindle app: Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35.bar
    I may have to do that. I figured there was already an official android kindle app that has been ported. It bugs me that some most highly sought-after apps are available to all tablets but the Playbook.
    02-23-12 09:13 AM
    Recently purchased the PB just cause I wanted a smaller travel companion for movies and reading and occasional web surfing. I updated to 2.0 and the first thing I did was side load the Kindle app. I'm happy.
    02-23-12 09:40 AM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Playbook is awesome! .. and this side benefit adds to the experience! ...
    coolaide likes this.
    02-23-12 09:43 AM
137 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD