As far as I know, sideloading only works when using a windows computer. Anyone with a mac is out of luck.
    Definitely not true.

I have iMac and MacBook Pro and I sideloaded Kindle last night. Wasn't too hard.

Just google Sideload Kindle app to Playbook Mac.
    El Cid likes this.
    02-22-12 01:11 PM
    I'm curious: what advantage does a native Kindle app have over the Kindle Cloud Reader? I have the Kindle app on my Torch, but the cloud reader works fine on my PB. The cloud reader is a full-blown HTML5 app: you can download entire books to local storage and the cloud reader works fine even when you are disconnected.
    I found Kindle cloud reader on PB to be finicky. Plus if you didn't already have it opened in wifi before you left your coverage area you could not open your book. If you already had it loaded up you were good to go.

Plus yesterday I (and a few other people too) had trouble opening their books in the cloud reader after installing 2.0. Maybe it still works for you but I know the Kindle app. works great.
    02-22-12 01:18 PM
    Has anyone tried Nook?
    02-22-12 01:22 PM
    The last time I checked you could download the books to playbook storage, but if you weren't connected to wifi when you try to open the site, then it will not work.
    Offline access to all your books. Plus if you convert all your books to .mobi format or have non arm mobi formatted books you can side load the and use the kindle app.

To me the idea of the kindle app with the sync between devices and access to all my purchased content is nice.
    02-22-12 01:37 PM
    OK.........did all the steps. downloaded DDPB, downloaded the existing Kindle .bar file, got into the developers mode......all of it. Put the Kindle bar file in the DDPB window and clicked install. I got an immediate "Done" message but I can't find the Kindle icon on my PB???????????? Where should it show up? or what did i do wrong?

EDIT: Never mind......I hadn't downloaded the Java file. Did that.........works good, duh!
    Last edited by cobra boy; 02-22-12 at 02:13 PM.
    dalej88 likes this.
    02-22-12 01:42 PM
    OK.........did all the steps. downloaded DDPB, downloaded the existing Kindle .bar file, got into the developers mode......all of it. Put the Kindle bar file in the DDPB window and clicked install. I got an immediate "Done" message but I can't find the Kindle icon on my PB???????????? Where should it show up? or what did i do wrong?
    Instead of drag and droping the file do add then when the file appears in the box be sure the check mark the the file then hit install.
    02-22-12 01:45 PM
    Instead of drag and droping the file do add then when the file appears in the box be sure the check mark the the file then hit install.
    that is exactly what is happening to me and i have done it the way you have suggested and it still doesn't work
    02-22-12 01:51 PM
    Thanks, I'm excited to try these
    02-22-12 01:58 PM
    Offline access to all your books. Plus if you convert all your books to .mobi format or have non arm mobi formatted books you can side load the and use the kindle app.To me the idea of the kindle app with the sync between devices and access to all my purchased content is nice.
    If you actually read the post i was replying to you would have seen that he was asking why the Kindle Cloud Reader was not better than the side loaded Kindle app. That's why I replied by saying that you cannot not access the books if you are not connected to wifi (on the Kindle Cloud Reader).

I'm curious: what advantage does a native Kindle app have over the Kindle Cloud Reader? I have the Kindle app on my Torch, but the cloud reader works fine on my PB. The cloud reader is a full-blown HTML5 app: you can download entire books to local storage and the cloud reader works fine even when you are disconnected.
    Last edited by simpsonsguy316; 02-22-12 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added quote
    02-22-12 02:11 PM
    Sounds like the ip address isn't correct in DDPB. There's actually two ip addresses when in developer mode. One is your network ip and the other is your usb, Surprisingly DDPB needs the network even though it's connected via usb, don't ask me why this is, but it's how it always works when i side load apps. Usually a network ip is in this format: 192.168.XX.XXX, while a usb one is like this: 168.254.X.X

To get both to show, first put your playbook in dev mode, then connect it to your computer. Give it a minute for everything to detect and sync, then on your playbook click on the little guy w/ a gear symbol up and to the right of the clock, that info screen that appears should have both ip addresses shown. You can also go to options->about->network and that screen will have IPv4, IPv6 and MAC addresses, you want IPv4.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion. Cheers!
    02-22-12 02:23 PM
    Sounds like the ip address isn't correct in DDPB. There's actually two ip addresses when in developer mode. One is your network ip and the other is your usb, Surprisingly DDPB needs the network even though it's connected via usb, don't ask me why this is, but it's how it always works when i side load apps. Usually a network ip is in this format: 192.168.XX.XXX, while a usb one is like this: 168.254.X.X

To get both to show, first put your playbook in dev mode, then connect it to your computer. Give it a minute for everything to detect and sync, then on your playbook click on the little guy w/ a gear symbol up and to the right of the clock, that info screen that appears should have both ip addresses shown. You can also go to options->about->network and that screen will have IPv4, IPv6 and MAC addresses, you want IPv4.

Hmm... I"m pretty sure I used the usb one and it worked.
    02-22-12 02:27 PM
    Hmm... I"m pretty sure I used the usb one and it worked.
    I believe you, logically you would think it was the usb one, but for me at least it's not. I just side loaded paper toss onto my playbook to be sure, tried the USB ip first, didn't work, tried the network ip and sure enough, i'm tossing wadded paper like a boss now.

Interesting.....
    02-22-12 02:30 PM

I've used both the addresses and it still doesn't work
    02-22-12 02:33 PM
    I've used both the addresses and it still doesn't work
    Restart the playbook.

When i installed a couple android apps, one time the icons didn't show up, but after i restarted the playbook they did.

Also try Install and "Run on Playbook after finish" when you are sideloading the apps.
    Last edited by simpsonsguy316; 02-22-12 at 02:37 PM. Reason: better wording
    Xavier85 likes this.
    02-22-12 02:37 PM
    Restart the playbook.

When i installed a couple android apps, one time the icons didn't show up, but after i restarted the playbook they did.

Also try Install and "Run on Playbook after finish" when you are sideloading the apps.
    What he said.
    02-22-12 02:38 PM
    ok i think i have done it i have downloaded JAVA onto my computer and hey presto its working WHOAH i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited now

thank you so much for all your help
    02-22-12 02:42 PM
    This has no doubt been asked and answered but I haven't found it. Has anyone seen a bar file for either netflix or skype? Thanks
    02-22-12 02:46 PM
    That was my exact problem too. I thought if I used an existing bar file that I didn't need the java file................mine worked fine after downloading java. This is GREAT!
    02-22-12 02:48 PM
    This has no doubt been asked and answered but I haven't found it. Has anyone seen a bar file for either netflix or skype? Thanks
    Both been tried. I converted and tried the latest Skype again last night. Gets to the login screen and fails.
    02-22-12 02:49 PM
    You might be able to find a netflix.bar but it will not work.

I am not sure about Skype, i think people have gotten the voice aspect to work but not the video.
    02-22-12 02:50 PM
    netflix i know isn't possible, the android player in the playbook can't run it, so you could make a bar and install it, but it'd crash whenever you ran it. Skype i believe is in the same boat, but i'm less sure on that one.
    02-22-12 02:50 PM
    Ok, after reading the blog post I just sideloaded my first two apps, Kindle and Google Maps. The process went prety easy but I'm having a few issues using the actual apps.

The kindle app has been super slow but that could just be settling in. I did manage to link it to my kindle account and pull down a book from the archive, but other than turning the pages one way or the other I can't figure out how to do anything!

For example, I want to return to the beginning of the book; how do I pull up a menu with that kind of option?

Any help appreciated!

BTW the Google maps app seems to have pulled my location off the GPS much faster than the native Bing maps or Magellan compass, just FYI.
    02-22-12 04:24 PM
    side loaded the kindle app and it all looks good and brings up books that i've purchased but within a minute of trying to read one, it crashes and closes every time. Have others used the app for some time to know it's stable and works and there's something just not right in my environment ? I've restarted the device after loading it as well.
    02-22-12 04:26 PM
    I'm sticking with the .99 Book Reader app for reading ebooks on the Playbook. I like to support the little guy as opposed to these large companies like Kindle. The amount of work and support that Igor has offered to those who purchased his wondeful .99 book Reader app is worth my loyalty.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 02-22-12 at 04:39 PM.
    Hawkeberry and snackberry26 like this.
    02-22-12 04:36 PM
    So I've been poking around some more and still can't figure out how to use this app. Now that I've got a book open there are no menu options, no way to navigate through the book other than single page flips, no way to exit the book or chose another one; just a white page with text.

How do I access menus?

**EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out! Swipe down from the top bezel DOES work! I had tried it a few times with no success but it looks like that was just lag in the Android Player.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 02-22-12 at 04:42 PM.
    02-22-12 04:38 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD