I'm sure many have watched them, but I want to formally say that RIM is a youtube embarrassment. Their Playbook videos that are MONTHS old are showing all the features IN A WORKING STATE, that have been dangled like a carrot in front of our noses.

The features work. RIM brags about them. Why do we not have them? Features like Android Player (seen working), 3D output to HDTV's (seen that too), a picture app that makes me DROOL (saw that too).

How the he11 are you going to compete RIM, if you cannot even release what makes this device special? If you are holding out because of competition, that only makes you as bad as them.

Step up RIM. Or we will begin hating you. Like the plague. There are too many rumors and speculation that is making us worry about the potential failure of RIM as a company. You guys really need to do something.

And yes, I am talking to the 3 guys in the TAT youtube video looking all happy and smug at the features WE DO NOT HAVE.

Bad form RIM.
    1rico1 and M.Rizk like this.
    07-10-11 10:59 AM
    Yep, taking much longer than they thought. Is that what you get when thinking with 2 heads instead of 1?
    07-10-11 11:12 AM
    I have a friend who recently transferred into the PB department at RIM - I found this out when we met for drinks on Friday. As usual, he won't say much but when I pressed him about the lack of updates he said that their main focus was improving the core OS and that the apps would come. Also, I got the impression that the NDK is still a little rough around the edges and they no longer want to release AIR apps just to release native apps a short time after.

As a consolation prize he did let me play with his Torch 2 (slider) - OMG! I'd seen them before and even had one in my hand briefly, but to actually use one was something else. He wouldn't let me take pics - as there is a serial number etched in the device - but it is well worth the wait. He said the 9900 was even better, I can't wait!
    07-10-11 11:32 AM
    I have gotten the impression that RIM wanted the UI to be rock solid so they assigned plenty of processing resources to ensure that it was. I've also noticed that since the last update that, at least in my case, I have very little need to ever restart the device. I used to soft restart every couple of days but now hardly ever. Reading fewer accounts of hard restarting on this forum as well. I imagine that once the OS is optomized, there will be a great deal more features coming down the pipe as QNX is perfectly poised to handle all sorts of processes without breaking a sweat. This also probably accounts for the videos that the OP was complaining about. The OS of those tablets were most likely set up to optimize the processes being demonstrated.
    07-10-11 03:09 PM
    Yep, taking much longer than they thought. Is that what you get when thinking with 2 heads instead of 1?
    Yeah, that CEO arrangement is a joke.

Not trying to be ignorant, but is this strange arrangement something that is common in Canada? I'm just not familiar with this type of arrangement.
    07-10-11 03:31 PM
    The saddest part about owning this absolutely genius piece of hardware the Blackberry Playbook is that the rest of the world hardly knows it exists, i don't think most people have an issue with some of the basics lacking at launch but the sheer disrespect for something which could eventually set the benchmark for what a tablet should be and that RIM have done hardly anything to assure all the owners that the hard earned money they have shelled out will amount to something it's not everyday someone forks out that much money and at least not receive an email to confirm the issues with update releases come on RIM give us the owners some love even if the the rest of the world doesn't ...not too much to ask in return.
    bquinney likes this.
    07-10-11 05:47 PM
    The saddest part about owning this absolutely genius piece of hardware the Blackberry Playbook is that the rest of the world hardly knows it exists, i don't think most people have an issue with some of the basics lacking at launch but the sheer disrespect for something which could eventually set the benchmark for what a tablet should be and that RIM have done hardly anything to assure all the owners that the hard earned money they have shelled out will amount to something it's not everyday someone forks out that much money and at least not receive an email to confirm the issues with update releases come on RIM give us the owners some love even if the the rest of the world doesn't ...not too much to ask in return.
    I guess Rim takes the perspective that they own us nothing. Not very polite and I agree with you. We took a leap of faith and Rim is not returning the favor.
    07-10-11 06:24 PM
    I agree. If RIM was open with their timeline a bit more, people would not bave to post threads like this one.

Even little updates would soothe the soul a bit. Instead of being ignored. RIM is not Apple. The secret thing only works with them.. because they are doochebags.
    07-10-11 10:55 PM
    I looked up some of the tube videos on TAT and the PB, and the stuff that they are running, is really amazing. It really is a shame that it isn't made available yet, but one day it will be here and it will be revolutionary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-10-11 11:16 PM
    I agree. If RIM was open with their timeline a bit more, people would not bave to post threads like this one.

Even little updates would soothe the soul a bit. Instead of being ignored. RIM is not Apple. The secret thing only works with them.. because they are doochebags.
    If RIM were any more open with their timelines, then everyone would know what's coming, including the competition. With the few - and decreasing number of - advantages they do have, they cannot afford to let anybody know what they're focusing their attention on, either for their immediate next releases or long-term. To wit: does anybody know what Apple has planned for the next iPhone? Does anyone even know with any degree of certainty what it will be called or when it's actually going to be released? Lots of speculation, but nobody outside of Cupertino knows for sure. Fact is, they ALL do the 'secret thing'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-11-11 at 08:39 AM.
    07-11-11 08:33 AM
    Fact is, they keep their timelines like other tech companies. They usually list which quarter or season the product or upgrade should be expected. More often than not, obviously for carrier dependent products, the carrier releases the information before the company does. When should we see it for the PB? At some point this Summer. When is the new iOS out? Sometime this fall.

I don't see what the difference is?
    07-11-11 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD