View Poll Results: What do you think about jailbreak of the PB ? (public votes)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a freedom act, I support it as I want full control of my device

13 36.11%
  • It's a brilliant exploit, but it must be patched and fighted forever

16 44.44%
  • The what ? Who cares ?

9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Well kinda strange question, in fact. But it makes sense since the major RIM market advantage ("perception" mode) is the security.

Once, we may say "no one ever break RIM's security features" and now we can't anymore.
    I'm aware that this kind of jailbreak is difficult to perform without the owner (security) privileges. But still, once jailbreaked the core code cannot be "safety approved", even more, the jailbreak itself could damage the whole thing or be (paranoid mode) designed to gain access to any jailbreaked device.

So, what do you think ?
    Is it somehow a "freedom act" that will allow getting the best of our tool ?
    Is it only an exploit that must be saluted but solidly patched to prevent its distribution ?
    Don't you care ?

Of course, I believe that your remarks will do much more in the debate than any vote ... so, just argue bellow !

P.S : and yes, this is the proper section for this thread, since it targets "John Doe" users, and not (only) the most advanced/techies ones we'll find in the jailbreak section .
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-06-12 at 02:08 AM. Reason: title should be : Should we (CB ?) support PlayBook jailbreak ?
    01-06-12 02:02 AM
    In one mind set I think it's a good thing to be able to root the PlayBook as it could open many different avenues of exploration.

On the other hand, I am not so sure I want my device to be known as easily 'crackable' (the media will portray it in such a bad light, it will probably have a negative effect on organisations thinking of purchasing such a tablet) on the market.
    Also I think, what is the point? The PB is no where near as locked down as iDevices... we can side load anything we want without restrictions so why the need for a root?

So we can support USBs? There is a reason why the USB is not built in to many popular tablets... because it is dying (my opinion) technology and there are hardly any sensible use cases to support one (on a tablet device) in 2012 when you have things like PC-PC-Laptop-Mobile-Tablet synchronisation technologies.

Unless there are other major* things that can be done on a rooted device, I do not think it is worth the effort.

* by major I don't mean making the notification LED flash pretty colours
    acrogenesis and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-06-12 02:33 AM
    Wow, I'm surprised with all the votes for the 2nd option! I think the reason for that is not many understand what having root access can and can't do. I'm sure there are quite a few people here that assume it must be a bad thing, without actually knowing much about it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-06-12 02:39 AM
    Wow, I'm surprised with all the votes for the 2nd option! I think the reason for that is not many understand what having root access can and can't do. I'm sure there are quite a few people here that assume it must be a bad thing, without actually knowing much about it.
    When I ask my mates who have iPhones/touches, the first thing I always ask is whether they have JailBroken it. The answer is always either 'yes' or 'thinking about it'.
    Reason being the iDevices are so tightly locked down you can't even side load anything not 'approved' by Apple.

When you ask someone whether they've rooted/jb'n their PlayBook they'll tell you 'why would I want to do that?!'

Hence why I don't think it's something we should really encourage unless there is a huge benefit to the end-user/consumer of doing so
    01-06-12 02:48 AM
    Rooting my Android phone was the best thing I've done to it. You won't believe how much bloatware I've been able to rid myself of (good thing the Playbook doesn't come preloaded with a lot of crapware). I am still on the official ROM though as I have had stability and battery life related issues with custom ROMs.

Anyway, I think it's good to have that as an option. It will still be up to you to have the root or not, so if you are against it for security or some other concerns, you can always stay unrooted.
    01-06-12 02:54 AM
    Well kinda strange question, in fact. But it makes sense since the major RIM market advantage ("perception" mode) is the security.

Once, we may say "no one ever break RIM's security features" and now we can't anymore.
    I'm aware that this kind of jailbreak is difficult to perform without the owner (security) privileges. But still, once jailbreaked the core code cannot be "safety approved", even more, the jailbreak itself could damage the whole thing or be (paranoid mode) designed to gain access to any jailbreaked device.

So, what do you think ?
    Is it somehow a "freedom act" that will allow getting the best of our tool ?
    Is it only an exploit that must be saluted but solidly patched to prevent its distribution ?
    Don't you care ?

Of course, I believe that your remarks will do much more in the debate than any vote ... so, just argue bellow !

P.S : and yes, this is the proper section for this thread, since it targets "John Doe" users, and not (only) the most advanced/techies ones we'll find in the jailbreak section .

As far as I'm concerned, the PB doesn't need to be rooted. RIM is not like the other players, the BB should be recognized for what it isn't, and that's a game playing toy. RIM should stay committed to security which has been its mantra for so long, and just letting every Tom, Schmuck, and Hairy wreak havoc on the OS at will will do nothing to foster that image of a secure and stable OS platform.

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for suing the pants off jailbreakers.
    01-06-12 04:40 AM
    Simple answer is no. Don't mess with the device. I have read these forums for almost a year before joining and I have read horror stories about the pb when people who don't know anything about the device downloaded the beta and tried to tinker with it. Most of the fix or repair help posts are from pb users who want to run droid apps and "something" happened and now pb doesn't work or is locked. I thought forums were to share information about the device not cry for help when you break the pb because you read a post from someone and you try to play developer.
    alnamvet68 and AggreX like this.
    01-06-12 04:59 AM
    Regardless, things are going to happen as they happen. Creative and intuitive people will always look for ways to do things that some will say cannot be done. As long as whatever is done is legal, go for it. It's when laws are broken and people are hurt is when it becomes wrong and messed up.

In short, this falls on RIM! If they put out something that can be compromised, shame on them. The jailbreakers: Please continue to create and take things past "it can't be done".
    01-06-12 06:01 AM
    And some of us here work in sectors where rooting the Playbook would possibly prevent it from being a tool that we could use. That does make it a bad thing in my view because of that possibility. And before someone brings up the DoD Android thing, read the article and you will see that they only approved the dell streak and you have to strip out the Android market and other things so it basically only becomes a work tool. With Balance (if they ever get it implemented) the Playbook is supposed to be able to keep work and personal/play separate, but a root may keep it from being allowed, or may require a special load to use, crippling the personal use. In my opinion if you want something to root and tinker with you have two options on the market already to satisfy those requirements. The only good thing to come out of Dingleberry is forcing RIM having to patch up holes IMHO. I can see where those that wouldn't have to worry about this may think differently, but rooting the device would be hurting one of RIM's strengths and possibly be the final nail in the RIM coffin as it would eliminate a major differentiator.
    01-06-12 06:17 AM
    Regardless, things are going to happen as they happen. Creative and intuitive people will always look for ways to do things that some will say cannot be done. As long as whatever is done is legal, go for it. It's when laws are broken and people are hurt is when it becomes wrong and messed up.

In short, this falls on RIM! If they put out something that can be compromised, shame on them. The jailbreakers: Please continue to create and take things past "it can't be done".
    I agree with you. If RIM and its users (myself included) touts their devices as being the most secure, why should these said devices be easily rooted? Purporting the PlayBook as a device that is the most secure tablet or (having top notch security) then only to be able to press a button and voia! My PlayBook is rooted only renders our claims as a fallacy.

So if intelligent and technologically intuitive individuals can force RIM to continually improve the security of the PlayBook (not just plugging loop holes) then, to them I say...

ROOT AWAY!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-06-12 06:42 AM
    I say security must have gone the way of the dodo bird because the others are not secure either in that sense and are in the same boat. So no tablet will be accepted according to what everyone says. So how are people using an ipad? They have been broken forever. What will companies do? Just not use any tablet at all?

Sure RIM is all about security but seems corporations no longer are as they are allowing iphones and androids and don't seem to be worried about those being rooted or broken or as many say they wouldn't allow them yet they do. So why would it be any different for RIM?

Can't they be locked down with policies etc? I guess a a malicious employee could do something? Can't a tech tell if a device has been rooted or broken? I could see the concern if it could be done remotely with no knowledge from the owner anything happened or changed but someone has to physically do it. Can the code be pushed to it with no knowledge again?

Seems it is a big deal only when it come to RIM devices and of no concern when it comes to the others or companies would not allow them, yet they do.

Edit: I didn't vote as none of the options apply to my thoughts. They are extreme on each end.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 01-06-12 at 07:56 AM.
    01-06-12 07:39 AM
    Yet another fatally flawed poll with a skewed set of options. FAILED!
    01-06-12 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD