View Poll Results: Yes or No

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

12 85.71%
  • no

2 14.29%
    Reading these forums it's apparent most of us love RIM and want the company to not only succeed but to excel. I'm sure one of them. I can't help but think that a huge advertising blitz during Super Bowl XLVII would be absolutely fantastic. Perfect audience for BlackBerry. I can see it now! Full screen: BB10 IS HERE! Then 30 seconds of what BB10 has to offer that no other platform does. Then: BB10 IS HERE again. Fade to full screen then: RIM IS BACK IN THE GAME! About a half dozen of these should do it. 100 million viewers, mostly American, seeing RIM front and center again. Who wouldn't love it? Any other ideas for the most expensive commercials ever made?
    bldshd likes this.
    11-09-12 01:42 PM
    11-09-12 01:53 PM
    i dont know what kind of cost/return on investment would be expected. what i can say is RIMs primary target market for bb10 (america) will all be watching.
    11-09-12 02:44 PM
    This would be perfect if they could do it.
    11-09-12 04:06 PM
    I don't think they will. Boulben said that they will rely on word of mouth heavily, so I'm just guessing they won't be spending the ridiculous amounts of money on a 30 second ad.

I would think we should get an idea of just how much marketing will go into BlackBerry10 very soon. If RIM has something up the sleeve innovative wise, that alone should get them a ton of free marketing provided its cool enough to get people talking.
    11-09-12 04:34 PM
    Better yet they should advertise during the CFL 100th Grey Cup game, happen' in TO, televised again this yr. on TSN !!

After the big game, professional football is over for another yr .. till next spring anyways

imho
    11-09-12 05:04 PM
    Super who?

Most of the world cant even tell the difference of Super Bowl and a bowl of cereals , - so unless someone have special interest in the super bowl - why would they spend "big bucks"?

but then again - I never understood why consumers would buy any special products - just because it was marked at some NFL game...
    The money better spent market elsewhere - where full functionality can be featured and showed off...

just my 2 cent on a Friday
    Bakamushi and Cesare21 like this.
    11-09-12 05:19 PM
    Boulben said that they will rely on word of mouth heavily
    I'm thinking Hudsucker proxy?
    11-09-12 07:34 PM
    No worries. Crackberry will do that for free
    11-09-12 07:57 PM
    Better yet they should advertise during the CFL 100th Grey Cup game, happen' in TO, televised again this yr. on TSN !!

After the big game, professional football is over for another yr .. till next spring anyways

imho
    That is a good idea especially it is a Canadian firm.

But again, If you want to create a buzz, you have to go to US market.
    bluetroll likes this.
    11-09-12 08:02 PM
    I think it would be a great opportunity, assuming that

1) BB10 phones will be available in stores very soon from there.

2) They really make a big impression in that 30 seconds, they really need to show it off.

However, a great ad doesn't mean success. The Motorola Xoom had a superbowl ad, and it was a pretty good ad, but its not like it really did anything, since the Xoom was overshadowed by some of the later released android tablets.
    11-09-12 08:03 PM
    No. I doubt much people would adopt BB10 because of a Super Bowl commercial. Unless its really produced in a great way. Even then I doubt it. Id rather have them use the money in a different way
    11-09-12 08:12 PM
    The superbowl is the most watched program of any type watched on TV thats why commercials cost so much.. If a very large percent of America will be watching its the best time to advertise a product especially a new one.. I think its a great idea but a expensive one. Have players, coaches, & a few celebs using them showing off some great features mixed with a lil comedy.. I think it would work/help
    11-09-12 09:15 PM
    Plus the Xoom was waay overpriced
    11-09-12 09:17 PM
    Super bowl is watched by many just to see the commercials not the game and talk radio takes over the next to discuss the ads....might be a great venue.
    11-09-12 09:46 PM
    I don't think they will. Boulben said that they will rely on word of mouth heavily, so I'm just guessing they won't be spending the ridiculous amounts of money on a 30 second ad.
    Not in favour of SuperBowl advertising but simply relying on word-of-mouth has not worked too well for the BlackBerry PlayBook. If Boulben's marketing strategy consists solely of word-of-mouth advertising the company can save a barrel of money by firing their Chief Marketing Officer.
    11-10-12 01:05 AM
    If BB10 is awesome user's experience as RIM promise it would be, with all these buzzing "blogs" and articles about BB10, I guess, RIM doesn't need to spend big bucks to promote it... they just only need to be on time about the release of BB10 (and no more delay excuses) and make it really an "awesome" user's experience... then it will spread like wild fire all over across the tech globe...
    11-10-12 01:16 AM
    Super bowl is watched by many just to see the commercials not the game and talk radio takes over the next to discuss the ads....might be a great venue.
    ...says the guy with a new england logo as his avatar lol
    11-10-12 02:03 AM
    Most of the world cant even tell the difference of Super Bowl and a bowl of cereals , - so unless someone have special interest in the super bowl - why would they spend "big bucks"?
    The superbowl is the most watched sporting event in the world next to the world cup, and that is only because soccer is played everywhere and football is u.s. Only, but only a few people I know watch the world cup and they are all of Latin descent, but everybody I know watches the superbowl whether for the commercial or the actual game. Word of mouth won't work in my opinion but what do I know. They have a marketing department for a reason, now is the time for them to come up with something huge.
    11-10-12 09:28 PM
    LIke mentioned by someone else, if the phones are near launch date then sure why not it might be worth it. But if they are looking at a late march launch then you might as well save the money
    11-10-12 09:58 PM
    If the phones have been announced, I think that a Super Bowl ad buy would be an excellent idea.

The US is RIM's weakest major market. The perceptions in that market are that Blackberries a) are stodgy b) don't have the latest technology c) come from a manufacturer who is failing. A well-done Super Bowl ad can address all three of these points very effectively.

BB10 needs to be a comeback/underdog story; no better place to tell that story than in America's most-watched sporting event. Bring it on!

(PS: yes, it will cost precious $$, which is precisely the reason why RIM needs to do this. It will go a long way to convince consumers that they're no longer a "struggling" company)
    DanielLui1 likes this.
    11-10-12 10:23 PM
    I don't see why not. It seems like at this point, RIM will need to spend a lot of money on advertising for the upcoming BlackBerry 10 platform whenever they get a chance and that includes during big events lime the upcoming NFL Super Bowl in February.
    11-10-12 10:50 PM
    If BB10 is close, then I think it might be a great way to show the flow and hub. Basically, if it shows the product off right, people will be amazed that wouldn't have even considered checking out BB10.
    11-11-12 12:28 AM
    If a guy who heads a Marketing department says they should rely on word of month than he is in over his head at that job. If they make a Super Bowl commercial, not only will it costs a ton to air it, they have to make it stand out (lots of money). I think it would be great for them to do one, but I don't have any faith on their marketing team, especially if this "word of mouth" is true.

It would be nice to see a Super Bowl commercial, but I would accept seeing ANY commercial from them. I have not seen a commercial on TV from them since the Tour. They need to get some regular commercials on air, some product placement on TV, in sport venues, and in the movies, revive strong partnerships in all fields, and they need to put on some big events to showcase their lineup. I honestly do not think they have a Marketing team that can handle that, let alone jump into making a world class million dollar commercial for an event that most of America will be watching.

That said, if they are targeting America, the Super Bowl is the best venue.

PS
    Chief Marketing Officer said they are focusing on word of mouth???? Really?????? Again, he is either way over his head, or just plain lazy. imo.
    11-11-12 12:58 AM
    They need to win back mind share. . .a Superbowl spot won't necessarily = tons of sales but it can be a huge start in the long process of undoing the negative press they have been dealing with for so long now. . . they have the cash for it (although using the cash for the commercial may be a bit risky. . .). . .the real challenge would be coming up with the content of this commercial. . .seriously. . .what would a good Superbowl Blackberry commercial look like?
    11-12-12 01:48 PM
26 12