OK...looking for some insight. I've read through the Playbook 2014 Thread and others on this Forum, but still not sure, and admit I don't know enough about the Playbook.

I keep seeing the prices on Playbook packages on EBay falling. Lots of great deals with bundles of accessories. However, I really don't want to spend money on something I will not fairly get my use from. Background...I love my Bold 9900, was impressed with the Q10, though sold it so I could save towards the Classic/Q20 to come (whenever). But would like to have a tablet...Do I want a Playbook? And if so, what size memory and are there models I don't want?

I had an Amazon Kindle Fire 1st generation, trading it in because what I really wanted was to read books, so bought a basic Kindle ereader. Also had a Nexus 7 for a while and realized with all its games I could get from Google Play, how very much I hated Android world and Google's constant intrusions checking all my data. The web surfing on the Nexus was neat though.

So...I'm big time loyal to Blackberry, but never got around to Playbook. Is it time to get a deal or better to just let it go seeing the lost opportunity PB was?
    06-03-14 08:14 PM
    Lost opportunity, matey...

I mean, if you still want to get it, go ahead. But the tablet is dead. It's a good tablet with good features but that was 2012. This is 2014. Times have changed so you will be really lagging behind in tech, speed and performance.

All in all, it was a good device (could have been infinitely better but yeah...) however, if you want to get it, it has to be your own personal choices as to what you plan to do with it
    FrankIAm and kbz1960 like this.
    06-03-14 08:22 PM
    as the poster above stated, determine your uses, it is a solid device two? years later
    i use one every day to stream sirius because flash support
    download Origami browser for a fast web browser
    for movies and long trips, it works out great
    great picture viewer too
    bridge for ease of reading / composing emails and you dont need an additional data plan

if you use an SD card in your 9900, double the size of the PB you chose, you'll be glad you have the extra space

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    06-03-14 08:59 PM
    Thanks. Alsofound more threads in I had missed before. Getting good ideas from it all. Appreciate it.
    06-03-14 11:15 PM
    As stated, it really depends on your needs. Netflix? Look elsewhere. Basic tablet? Sure! I use mine on a daily basis, but just for ebook reading, videos, minor web surfing. It's decent enough, but the hardware is getting old and there is for all intents and purposes no support for it anymore (yes, the odd app gets an update). As the flash requirements on various websites are shifting to newer versions, even the flash support for this device is hit and miss (more hit, but that will likely change over time), and there is no way to update the flash player on the device.

Just be aware that what you buy is what you get, with no updates coming. Like I said, it still fills general use for me, but I've run into my share of limitations with this device. The Z10 I have can take over in some ways, or for others, I have my wife's ipad (or a laptop for that matter).
    06-04-14 09:49 AM
    Too much verbiage in these replies. The straight answer is NO.
    kbz1960 and milo53 like this.
    06-04-14 09:58 AM
    LOL. Yep, unless you just want something to play movies or show pictures.
    06-04-14 10:11 AM
    Well, that's a little harsh. It's falling behind, sure. But I am still using mine as a daily tablet. E-mail and calendar sync well with Outlook. Can do most web tasks, some are a little slow, some video formats unsupported. I don't want to pay $400 for an iPad so I lumber along. If you can find a Playbook for $50 or $60 with decent battery life, I say, what the heck, you could do worse.
    06-04-14 04:27 PM
    Too little verbiage in this reply. The straighter answer is �it depends�.

I have seen too many of such similar threads asking for opinions on whether it is still worth it to get a PlayBook and have generally refrained from responding because it seems to me many of the original posters did not do research on it themselves and more importantly, this is a very subjective issue and what works for one may be a dud for another. Nevertheless, the original poster here has done research and seems genuinely in need of help so I am offering my two and a half cents worth of opinion.

Logically, the answer to jrsva2008's query is that it depends on his or her expectations of the PlayBook and the intended use of it. (Would I be sexist if I proffered it is a "her" due to the kitty avatar?) When approached from this angle, it is clear that the PlayBook can be a delight for some while others will curse the day they bought it. Anyone contemplating a purchase of this tablet today has the benefit of knowing exactly where it stands. It has been announced and it is widely accepted that there will not be any further support of the PlayBook from BlackBerry. I believe BlackBerry�s announcement that it will no longer offer support for the PlayBook, but I do hold a sliver of hope that there will be some change of heart by BlackBerry and that we may see some support still. No one has given me this hope, least of all BlackBerry but it is just me to never take no for an answer. I do not however, base my actions and use of the PlayBook on my own unfounded hopes. I act expecting no BlackBerry support for the PlayBook ever. If it magically happens though, then it would be a very nice �bonus�.

I use my PlayBooks daily. I have several other tablets but I do not put my email accounts and other information on the other non-PlayBook tablets. Email accounts and information are only on one PlayBook. I do not trust android and Google (though I have android tablets), and I do not own the fruit... yet (I say why in post #14 in the recent thread �New Playbook 64 GB $140 on eBay� in this forum). I have no problems with my emails on the PlayBook. I also surf the web on the PlayBooks and have no complaints about the native browser despite many others who complain about its speed or lack thereof. The native browser used to be able to play Amazon�s Prime videos but no longer. The Origami browser which is available for free for the PlayBook is able to play Prime videos. I have one high definition Prime movie playing right now just to test it as I did not want to give you wrong information. It is now 35 minutes into a 1-hour and 44 minute movie. It is playing very well with no lag and the dialogue sound and lips of the actors are in sync. Ordinarily, I do not use the PlayBook for Prime movies as I have the Kindle Fire HD and HDX.

I have been fortunate in that I do not experience a lot of the problems some users complain about in this forum. Quite some time back, I responded to a thread in this forum and I indicated that I believed my satisfaction with my PlayBooks may be attributed to the fact that I do not sideload android apps and while I leave my PlayBooks on standby mode rather than turning them off when not in use, I do regularly turn each one of them off and then on again about once a fortnight. I do not like to leave them perpetually on standby mode. My current experience with the Kindle Fire HDX seems to support my belief on this point. I find that if I leave the HDX on standby for a few days, then when I use it, it seems to present a problem (it kind of gets cranky) but it goes away after I turn it off and then turn it back on.

jrsva2008, I think whether the PlayBook may be worth your while also depends on the price you can get it for. What the right price is is a totally subjective matter but I have tried to present an objective view in post #14 in the other thread I mentioned above. You are indeed correct when you said that the prices on PlayBook packages on eBay are falling. Research and patience will be your best friends when looking for one. Just yesterday, I saw a 64 GB model for about $79.00 with free shipping. It was not new, probably refurbished. I was not shopping for one, just curious.

I have based my response to whether you could benefit from a PlayBook from the little information I saw in your original post. You say you do not want to spend money on something you will not fairly get your use from. Your choice of the word �fairly� is quite telling. Your expectations are not raised. You acknowledge the shortcomings of the tablet and do not expect exceptional use of the PlayBook. In other words, one may find the lack of apps (no Skype and Netflix) and lack of games on the PlayBook bothersome. However, this should not prevent you from getting �fair� use of it though. Your having owned a Nexus 7 and getting rid of it tells me you are not that into apps and gaming. Neither am I. Maybe that�s why I still think my PlayBooks are great!

All in all, it looks like you can get by without a tablet, since you got rid of your Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. You don�t need a tablet, you just want a tablet. Since you are so �big time loyal to Blackberry�, what better way to expand your tablet experience than to get the PlayBook at a good price. This will let you experience a wider spectrum of BlackBerry products and gain a fuller BlackBerry experience, for better or for worse.

Why do I like the PlayBook? I like its security. I like its swipe gestures. I like the great sound from its front-facing speakers. You can actually hear the stereo separation. I also like Print to Go and like the ability to print articles I see on the web or work documents to the PlayBook through it. I like the Video Store and the 99-cent movie sales though I believe it is no longer available to new activations of the PlayBook. I like the micro-HDMI out port which allows me to watch movies I purchased from the Video Store on my TV. Those that currently have the Video Store will likely lose it if a security wipe is done. It appears that one may still be able to get it back by sideloading it. There is some information on it in the thread �PlayBook Video Store Showing Some Love...� and other threads in this forum. I like the PlayBook�s screen and think it is sufficient despite the rather modest resolution specifications on paper. I like the Stereotube app (not free but very worth it).

Whether you should get it also depends on whether you are prepared to spend more money on another tablet which will have more capabilities and be able to meet more tablet users� expectations if and when the time comes when you need, rather than just want a tablet. If you will balk at having to get another tablet when that time comes, then you should not get the PlayBook now. Instead, I suggest you save the money for when you need a tablet and then use it to buy the right tablet for yourself when that time comes.

If you decide to get the PlayBook experience, I recommend that you get the biggest storage capacity you can afford because it has no expandable storage, i.e., no micro-SDHC slot. You probably know it comes in 16, 32 and 64 GB configurations. I think the 16 GB model gives you about 13+ GB of actual storage you can use, the 32 GB model gives you 25.6 GB actual storage and I do not remember the useable storage of the 64 GB model. I would guess about 59 GB. I suggest you avoid the 16 GB model even if you think you may not be loading much stuff on it. Little by little it adds up and then poof - you�re out of storage capacity. The average movie download from the Video Store is about 1.6 to 1.7 GB. Long movies or those with extra features can exceed 2 GB easily. If you do not have the Video Store but will be loading movies from other sources, the average size may differ. Make sure you get the optional magnetic rapid charger. It is not expensive. It is better than the magnetic dock rapid charger as it will allow you to charge when the PlayBook is in its protective case if you use a case.

Whether or not you get the PlayBook, beware of the marketing hype. It is geared to getting consumers to upgrade unnecessarily. Of course, the choice of a platform, whether it be an android, a modified android (like the Kindle Fire), a Windows, a BlackBerry or an iOS platform should be seriously considered with one's needs and intended uses in mind. Almost everything else is marketing hype designed to part you from your money. I know. I am one of those who succumbed to it though not out of ignorance but the irrational concept of wanting something different and newer. Hardware specs and performance specs may appear very different on paper but the human experience is unlikely to be able to tell much difference. I have various tablets and the latest one is the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" model. Screen resolution specs are awesome on paper. Not impressed. Hardware specs impressive on paper - 2.2 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM. Not impressed. I was impressed with its light weight though.

Finally, be wary of reviews and reviewers. Many are biased and I suspect are part of the competition who are out to get BlackBerry. If BlackBerry was a human and its body were to fall in front of them, many of them would rush up to stomp the body into the ground. What all this misinformation and BlackBerry bashing in the media tells me is that the competition are fearful of BlackBerry and want to make sure it does not survive its current misfortunes. It is not good for consumers.

Ah, what verbiage...
    Last edited by bb4ty; 06-04-14 at 11:08 PM.
    06-04-14 10:58 PM
    I will just say that I got a win8.1 8" tablet and I will never go back to using my playbook.

Was it useful when I had it? Yes it was. But it was driving me mad with the lousy browser and other things.
    06-05-14 07:50 AM
    Tried using windows tablet. Why would you, apps are not there. Gestures sucks and are not intuitive. I still use my playbook more. iPad or Android is probably better.
    06-05-14 07:54 AM
    Tried using windows tablet. Why would you, apps are not there. Gestures sucks and are not intuitive. I still use my playbook more. iPad or Android is probably better.
    Not for me. I own a bb so you think I care about apps I'm well aware beside it has a lot more than the pb does. I love the gestures, they are a lot like the pb. What is not intuitive? Came just as natural as the pb did for me.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-05-14 07:57 AM
    Also, seems like a Windows tablet wouldn't need apps since it's...y'know, Windows.
    06-05-14 08:05 AM
    I use mine daily for podcasts and Web browsing. I have about two dozen apps on mine, no games. Don't really watch much online video as I am in the US and am one of the increasing number of users that has to live with a data cap.

I use it less than I did before I replaced my curve with a Z10. It is just easier, for example, to get on this website through the z10s app than the browser front end that is the PlayBook "app". I expect that if I had a Z30 I wouldn't be using the PlayBook much if at all.

The only android apps that I have on my Z10 are Tapatalk and Yelp.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 08:11 AM
    This is kind of like looking to buy a classic car and asking how it will do as your daily driver. I you choose to use a Playbook over a newer model then it will probably should not strictly be for reasons of utility or features.
    06-05-14 08:15 AM
    Hey, I'll take the verbage!

Your comments were very helpful. After I did my original post, I did another forum on "PB OS" with much more in there...I figured (wrongly) that it would be more about specs and leaks...my bad. Anyhow, the more I've opened the hatch, the more about PB I'm finding. And I love that about Crackberry. What a library of ideas, suggestions, and counsel.

Reading around, I am seeing it is exactly as you say...it depends. Your reasoning describing me and my wants, my lack of interest in gaming, and shared disappointments with the latest and greatest "new" thing. Yep...got me on all. Except for the gender. nice try with the assumption based on cat...but sorry, very much male...and much attached to my old cat-friend Cameron...he's been around a long time.... come to think of it, he "adopted" me as a stray when I still had AOL dial-up web service and a big Gateway PC!!!...how technology has exploded in 13 years, huh?

I have went ahead and purchased an EBay Playbook. Coming this weekend. From what I'm reading, sounds like I could have enjoyed it much earlier. Though probably then would be sharing more of the disappointment many others write about for how BB bungled the product and then closed it off this year with no BB10 and apps. I was one of those early "not-interested" guys when I tried one out in Best Buy when it first came out. Saw it as laggy, awkward, and just not so impressed. Kind of looked past it ever since. Then again, I got sucked into Android phone world for a while too until came back to the BB I missed. Looking back now, I wonder if I was having first impression reactions like those who were mystified by the BB10 swipe gestures which took me about 2 days before I was flying. So agree with the over-hype on "new." Before I had the Nexus 7 2nd gen, I had a Nexus 7 1st gen...and upgraded for the screen and speed. Could not really see the difference, and was bugged by the constant Google permissions to allow app access to this and that and those and them. Good grief.

Not really sure what all I will do with the PB. Will definitely try to sideload the Kindle app so I can read without lighting. And the music aspect. And the Bridging to my Bold. Will try some of the movie options as I too have Amaz.Prime. Wondered about that. And email.... Beyond that, I'll see what else its for. Not a need for a tablet...just a want. The one I've bought is a 16GB as it gives me a chance to try the device and the price was around $50. Guess I could upgrade this summer if I need too. Lots of great options out there on 32s and 64s. We'll see. I might even get to the point where I join the group wishing Chen's new BB would do a PB 2 or at least tweak it enough to load BB10. Actually wonder why that would be so hard for them...someone quoted on CB somewhere that there are many PBs out there as BB10 devices....if that's true, that's an interesting perspective.

Anyway...thanks again for the ideas...enjoy your own PB.
    06-05-14 08:31 AM
    Guess ya can't go too wrong at $50.
    06-05-14 08:42 AM
    yes, figured give it a try...

don't expect my cat would be so willing that way with your dog...though he does look like a happy guy....mine gets cranky around dogs...even happy ones!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-14 09:05 AM
    Good choice, enjoy your new PlayBook. Don't forget to check out the Greatest Ever PlayBook Apps and Games listings in the forums!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    06-05-14 09:41 AM
    yes, figured give it a try...

don't expect my cat would be so willing that way with your dog...though he does look like a happy guy....mine gets cranky around dogs...even happy ones!
    He seems to want to play with cats but the cats don't want to play with him
    06-05-14 09:49 AM
    That would be my Cam's reaction exactly!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-14 10:25 AM
    KOBO (comes with the playbook, I believe) is just as good an ereader as the Kindle app. The only difference (and a tad on the sad side) is I don't think it has as many books.
    06-05-14 10:29 AM
    So I have heard...no way I suppose to access my Amaz.Kindle library via Kobo?

06-05-14 10:33 AM
    So I have heard...no way I suppose to access my Amaz.Kindle library via Kobo?

I don't think so. Not sure if kindle still needs to be sideloaded or not. I never used it.
    06-05-14 10:35 AM
    Should you buy a playbook? It depends. Are you going to open a museum dedicated to technology that never reached its full potential?
    06-05-14 12:37 PM
29 12