Just wondering if the PB should charge when the data cable is connected?
    When it is connected I get a message saying unable to charge,but can still backup/sync etc.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Regards,
    Andy
    12-22-12 06:32 PM
    From Angus_CB - This has been explained several times in the forum since the release of OS 2.1.

The USB charger that came with the Playbook supplies a maximum of 1800 mA (1.8 A).
    The USB chargers that come with most phones supplies a maximum of 700 mA (0.7 A).
    USB ports on a computer supply a maximum of 500 mA but a constant output of ~380 mA.
    Charging through a USB port theoretically would take 4 times longer than through the supplied USB charger.
    This is theoretical because it assumes that the Playbook is consuming no power while charging, which isn't the case.
    When you first connect the Playbook the screen is on or comes on which uses power. Once the screen goes off the Playbook will charge through the USB port but very slowly. If you have no other choice put the Playbook in Airplane mode and put it in Standby as soon as you connect it to the computer. You can also get or make a USB charging only cable that will prevent the computer and Playbook from trying to communicate with each other. This would prevent the Playbook from coming out of Standby.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    12-22-12 06:39 PM
    The Playbook will charge with a USB connected to a PC/laptop. I do it all the time. I usually just leave it overnight.
    12-22-12 07:03 PM
    Just wondering if the PB should charge when the data cable is connected?
    When it is connected I get a message saying unable to charge,but can still backup/sync etc.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Regards,
    Andy
    To add to Post#2 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7799718 so this thread might help someone else at a later date.

Q: Under what conditions are you having this problem?
    Q: What Battery level are you starting charge at?
    Q: How old is the unit? New, used?
    Q: How many battery discharge /charge cycles have occurred?
    Q: What are your usage patterns?
    Q: Do you top battery off frequently, or do you discharge totally on a regular basis?
    Q: Here's one for you- What are the temps in your part of the world currently?
    Q: Are you using the orginal cable that came with the PlayBook?
    Q: Using a laptop?
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-22-12 at 07:24 PM.
    12-22-12 07:14 PM
    It's ok,it seems to be working.
    Followed the advice above and left it,then checked battery level which was going up.

I thought it wasn't charging as there was no LED illuminated which I thought would happen during charging.
    12-22-12 07:20 PM
    It does take a very long time this way, but it will charge.
    12-22-12 07:24 PM