I want the playbook with the 3G/4G built in, so that I can use it in more places. Can the Blackberry Bridge (BB) feature allow the Blackberry to serve as a modem? or the BB just push the emails onto the Playbook? If the BB allows the Blackberry to serve as a modem, would it be safe to assume that I don't need to wait for the 3G/4G playbook? and I will have Flash and Java through the BB ?

Please help
    03-28-11 12:36 PM
    Everything points to being able to access the 3G network with your Playbook through your Blackberry, and that includes internet. Having said that, I do know that some carriers are going to start messing with 'tethering rules' and locking stuff down, so while the PB may have the functionality your carrier MAY screw you.

I have a 6gb plan with Rogers that includes tethering so I am going with the wi-fi only version. I always have my Torch with me so I can use my PB any where that I have signal. Plus, I have ZERO desire to pay for yet another data plan so being able to use my existing one is a huge plus.

As for the Java and Flash question, yes they will work with an internet connection through your BB. All your BB is providing is access to the net, everything else is Playbook based. Hope that helps.
    03-28-11 01:14 PM
    Good question! I was also wondering the same. Thx Cozmik

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 01:18 PM
    Def agree with Cozmik. Personally I don't see the point in having a tablet with built in 3g/4g isn't it better to just get a Mifi device? That way you aren't locked down to just using one device you will be able to access 3g/4g through your laptop, phone, tablet, and whatever other devices that need access. Just personal opinion but seems like a more economical way to go about getting mobile internet on tablets and laptops. Only serious downside I see is that you would have to carry 1 extra thing around.
    03-28-11 01:19 PM
    I read an interesting article the other day that was aimed at the iPad but fits here also.

It was about getting your tablets in wifi only and not spending the extra money for 3G/4G. The article went on to explain that since most smartphones can now tether and/or be a wifi hotspot, why spend the extra money for 3G/4G. Article made a lot of sense to me..
    03-28-11 01:20 PM
    Cozmik,

Thank you for your reply. I am with Sprint currently. My wife has a android phone and is paying $10/month for unlimited data for the whole family already. I don't mine upgrading my old phone to a Blackberry if that is all it takes for me to use the Wifi only playbook without waiting.

I do have a concern for this arrangement. Will I be draining battery on both the phone and the playbook at the same time doing this?
    03-28-11 01:22 PM
    The BlackBerry can Bridge connect to the PlayBook to give you access to your email, calander and BBM, and then there will be a separate tether app. Bridging will be free, tethering we don't know yet.
    03-28-11 01:25 PM
    I read an interesting article the other day that was aimed at the iPad but fits here also.

It was about getting your tablets in wifi only and not spending the extra money for 3G/4G. The article went on to explain that since most smartphones can now tether and/or be a wifi hotspot, why spend the extra money for 3G/4G. Article made a lot of sense to me..
    yah this is the play. the device is more expensive for a 3G model (in the case of iPad at least) plus you pay a data fee? go with the WiFi. especially considering unless you are going to be out in a park or farm on your PB, you will likely be somewhere that you can grab a signal anyhow...
    03-28-11 01:28 PM
    Honestly I would say just get a WIFI only PlayBook. You will be able to do the same things as you would with a 3G or 4G one. You are not bound by a contract or anything. Why lock yourself in when there is no need to
    03-28-11 01:29 PM
    Cozmik,

Thank you for your reply. I am with Sprint currently. My wife has a android phone and is paying $10/month for unlimited data for the whole family already. I don't mine upgrading my old phone to a Blackberry if that is all it takes for me to use the Wifi only playbook without waiting.

I do have a concern for this arrangement. Will I be draining battery on both the phone and the playbook at the same time doing this?
    Oh Yeah! When I tether my BB to my laptop, it really sucks the battery down on my BB.
    03-28-11 01:32 PM
    T-mobile will charge $14 a month for there 3G BB tethering. Just FYI
    03-29-11 11:41 PM
    I would buy the Wifi only version (in fact, I have already pre-ordered it). You will be able to bridge the Playbook to your Blackberry and you will have internet anywhere on the go.
    Tethering will likely be charged for by the service provider, but, Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com will have an updated app to ensure you don't get charged for tethering.
    03-29-11 11:44 PM
    Oh Yeah! When I tether my BB to my laptop, it really sucks the battery down on my BB.
    I always purchase an extra battery with my bb. ordered one from the crackberry store for $24 for my 9780.
    03-30-11 12:29 AM
    I would buy the Wifi only version (in fact, I have already pre-ordered it). You will be able to bridge the Playbook to your Blackberry and you will have internet anywhere on the go.
    Tethering will likely be charged for by the service provider, but, Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com will have an updated app to ensure you don't get charged for tethering.
    BINGO...........and we have a winner lol

Tether has already stated they'd have a playbook app so problem solved in my eyes. Now i just need a 4G blackberry to tether with (come on RIM) and my life will be complete
    03-30-11 07:32 AM
    You must use bluetooth as my laptop charges my phone via usb. But I understand that the playbook will only use bluetooth for this so I guess I'll just have to have both plugged in when I plan on using it for a longer period of time.
    03-30-11 07:58 AM
    Wait is there different wifi versions or just one n will u be able to use 4g if u tehther to a bb torch or will u just get 3g

03-30-11 12:21 PM
    Got my LTE hotspot yesterday and am going to get a WiFi playbook on April 19th. All I have to do is carry around a small hotspot device in the case I keep my PlayBook in and essentially, I have a LTE PlayBook. $50 a month for 5GB. it's $80 a month for 10GB. Only thing is you're locked in a contract. Otherwise, it's the best option I think.
    03-30-11 12:33 PM
    Not sure if this is answered but, does the Playbook required to go through BIS/BES?

Reason I ask is this...

With my BB phone, if I turn off Mobile Network, I retain my service books.

If I goto another country while the Mobile network is off, I can still access BBM and email though wifi.

If I buy a sim card from the other country an use it, it will delete all my service books rendering wifi useless.

What would happen if I goto another country, buy a local sim that does not have BIS plan, like Hongkong, and use the sim?

I know the sim will delete my service books on the phone. When I bridge PB to BB, does that mean I won;t have access to BBM or emails cause it's not going through BIS?
    03-30-11 12:54 PM
    Got my LTE hotspot yesterday and am going to get a WiFi playbook on April 19th. All I have to do is carry around a small hotspot device in the case I keep my PlayBook in and essentially, I have a LTE PlayBook. $50 a month for 5GB. it's $80 a month for 10GB. Only thing is you're locked in a contract. Otherwise, it's the best option I think.
    How long is your contract for?
    03-30-11 12:56 PM
    Not sure if this is answered but, does the Playbook required to go through BIS/BES?

Reason I ask is this...

With my BB phone, if I turn off Mobile Network, I retain my service books.

If I goto another country while the Mobile network is off, I can still access BBM and email though wifi.

If I buy a sim card from the other country an use it, it will delete all my service books rendering wifi useless.

What would happen if I goto another country, buy a local sim that does not have BIS plan, like Hongkong, and use the sim?

I know the sim will delete my service books on the phone. When I bridge PB to BB, does that mean I won;t have access to BBM or emails cause it's not going through BIS?
    Yup, all that BB bridge deal is ,is that it is a larger screen for your BB. That is why I don't see what all the rage is about. Unless I'm missing something.
    03-30-11 01:00 PM
    How long is your contract for?
    Well 2yrs was $150 with $50 mail in rebate (so $100). However, if you don't want to pay $100 for the LTE WiFi device, you may still be able to get a 3G one for free. Because the LTE device came out yesterday, they were working on getting rid of the 3G models so if you want to go that route, go quickly.

Other options for LTE WiFi Hotspot:

1yr contract is $169 AFTER $50 mail in rebate.

Month to Month is $269
    westcoaststyle likes this.
    03-30-11 01:06 PM
    My $.02; get the wifi version.

It is around the corner but no garauntee when 3g/4g will be out.

Yea, we have heard some projections; but after what we just went through with RIM regarding release info about the playbook, do you dare believe anything from them anymore?

03-30-11 02:10 PM
    Yup, all that BB bridge deal is ,is that it is a larger screen for your BB. That is why I don't see what all the rage is about. Unless I'm missing something.
    Ok so your saying the PB using the Bridge connection uses BIS only? If so I have the Tether app guess I'll wait for those folks to come out with a PB program? I don't have bis on my blackberry but have data

03-30-11 02:17 PM
    Some people want 3G/4G built in because they don't own a smartphone and just want internet access wherever they go.

If you have a mifi device, now that's two things you have to keep charged when you hit the road.
    03-30-11 02:18 PM
    4G??? didn't you hear? it's beiber with the 6G fever!
    03-30-11 02:23 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD