Serious question. I have enjoyed my Playbook. It has been a near constant companion. It is the first blackberry product that I have owned. But it is aging. I waited for Skype and it never came. I have been waiting for OS10 but honestly who knows when that will show up. The problem is on ebay people are selling them at near crackerjack prize prices. So what should I do keep it? Or sell a near perfect condition device for much less than I feel that it is worth?
    05-05-13 10:31 AM
    Serious question. I have enjoyed my Playbook. It has been a near constant companion. It is the first blackberry product that I have owned. But it is aging. I waited for Skype and it never came. I have been waiting for OS10 but honestly who knows when that will show up. The problem is on ebay people are selling them at near crackerjack prize prices. So what should I do keep it? Or sell a near perfect condition device for much less than I feel that it is worth?
    Do you enjoy using the device, or has it become stale to you, and you'd like to move on to something else? The reality is, we always want something better, and the 'market' determines what anything is worth, it doesn't have a feel for what our thoughts on what our items should be valued at. If the PlayBook is still useful to you, then I'd just enjoy using it. If not, you could see if there is someone who'd pay closer to what you expect, but that is a hit or miss road to travel. Good luck!
    FF22 and cdnynot like this.
    05-05-13 10:51 AM
    I used to use my PlayBook 24/7, but then I picked up my Z10. So I plugged my PB into the TV with a micro HDMI cable, then connected it to my speakers with the Music Gateway. It's a combination jukebox/movie player now.

There's probably a bunch of ways to reuse an old PB.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    05-05-13 10:52 AM
    Honestly I use it less and less, although I posted this message with it. I find I have been using my phone more and more. I guess I'm just worried that the moment I sell it OS10 will come out and breathe new life into it. Or maybe I just don't care for the tablet format factor anymore. Everything I can do on the playbook I can do nearly equally as well on my phone. The things I cannot do on either I have my pc for.
    05-05-13 11:00 AM
    As Bergerking noted - the value of any item is what it is worth to you. Folks collect old typewriters and old computers and pay nothing close to what they are really worth in terms of function.

Do you still use it? How? Will selling it provide sufficient funds to get the next newer and more functional device or, at least, contribute to buying that next device?

edited to add: seeing your new reply, well, for me screen-size over my phone is a big plus. But maybe that's because for my OS7 device BRIDGE (now severely cripped) allows me to access my phone's data and email. I do surf the web on my phone when at the gym or last night between acts at the opera, but the screen size is really limiting but works in a pinch (no pun intended). When downstairs watching tv or listening to music, I much prefer my pb and my pc is not convenient in that circumstance. Or I'm downstairs and some calls and asks a question - surfing on the pb is much nicer FOR ME, than using my phone.
    05-05-13 11:03 AM
    I don't use it for much anymore. These are selling for around 100 dollars on ebay with the retail box and everything. If I sold it for that it would not provide sufficient funds for a newer device. And regardless of its shortcomings it is worth far more than that. Double that price and I could live with myself.
    BergerKing and vincentkong like this.
    05-05-13 11:11 AM
    I think I will hold onto it for now. Even if it collects more dust than usual. As it is a very beautiful and unique device. No the app support isn't what I would like it to be. I mean, I don't use Skype or netflix anyway. However what it lacks in support it makes up with style. And it benefits from not being what everyone else has. I think I'm going to restore this baby and yank the auction. Thanks you all for your replies.
    BergerKing and cdnynot like this.
    05-05-13 11:27 AM
    I far prefer to use my pb to surf the net and to access my emails rather than my mobiles. Since it is bridged to my legacy devices I find its functionality is far more like accessing my text messages, BBM. Infact I find using my z10 bridged to my pb does not work too well as some how accessing the net is very slow.
    BergerKing and bbfan1040 like this.
    05-05-13 11:47 AM
    It's like they said, depends on what you use them for. I have two, and even though I don't use the 64 as much as I use to, I still do. It's a great little tablet. And it doesn't owe me anything, if the update comes its a plus,if not I will hang on till I find something better.
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-05-13 03:24 PM
    I don't use it for much anymore. These are selling for around 100 dollars on ebay with the retail box and everything. If I sold it for that it would not provide sufficient funds for a newer device. And regardless of its shortcomings it is worth far more than that. Double that price and I could live with myself.
    I buy and sell them on ebay and I've never seen a 64gb in excellent condition in retail box for less than $170 plus shipping.Just sold two last week.One for 179.00 free shipping and the other for $185.But if I was you I would keep it.I honestly believe that BB10 will be released for the playbook by this summer.
    05-05-13 05:59 PM
    Jesse my question to you is. Is your PlayBook eating anything? You may won't to hold on to it. It sounds like its been good for you and time will tell if or when BB10 is coming or not.
    05-05-13 06:21 PM
    My smarta$$ answer is yes, I'll give you $10. But as the proud owner of 5 playbooks I have a hard time talking people out of them. But seriously $10, what do you say?
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-05-13 07:08 PM
    Walmart in Ontario sells 16gb for 99 and 32gb for 148

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-05-13 09:34 PM
    I am willing to pay $150 for a used 64gb in mint condition. You can never have enough playbooks.
    05-05-13 11:52 PM
    If you don't use it now, you won't use it later. Sell it now while it still holds some value, it will only go down in value as it collects dust. I would think you could get about $150 for it in very good condition with original box and accessories, maybe slightly more for mint condition or with more accessories or slightly less in only fair condition with missing box or any accessories in my opinion.
    05-06-13 06:06 AM
    I'd also like to add the reason they are selling so low is because rim had a crazy sale way back for them and now those people are trying to get their 100-150 dollars back.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:16 AM
    Keep it! You never know when we are going to and use our phones to death and then you go through withdrawl.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:32 AM
    Jesse,

I read your post with the same thoughts. I am the owner of a 16 gig Playbook when I purchased it early after its release. I use to have a Blackberry phone but it "gave up the spirit" and I now own a Android.

I have considered selling my Playbook, but a 16 gig is not worth that much in terms of monetary amount. I did list if for a while, but no one offered anything, so I have decided to keep it. I, like you, do not use my Playbook as much as I used to, since I do not have Blackberry bridge and find some things easier to do on my Samsung Galaxy phone, but I keep the Playbook for a couple reasons:
    • I use Documents to Go to view and work on Microsoft Office files
    • I check email on it frequently and reply to them
    • I found "2X Client" for accessing my laptop from the playbook
    • I scan social media when downstairs in my house
    • I take it to the garage for Slacker Radio
    • I take it with me to read the e_Mmanuel Bible program
    • My son and I play games on it

I wanted to sell it to get an Android tablet, but since I find myself only using it for specific reasons, I am keeping it because chances are another tablet will find itself in the same position.

I do wish I could bridge it with my Android without having to pay the extra $20/month for my phone to be a hotspot and I wish BB10 would come out sooner, but the anticipation of the future is always excitement for the present.

I would encourage you to keep it and find a few common uses for your Playbook.

Just my thoughts,

Chris
    taz323 and FF22 like this.
    05-06-13 07:55 AM
    GallagherPreach:

I don't recall hearing about 2x Client before. Sounds interestings but I should not take this thread off into too much of a tangent. So I will check it out. But it does sound like another reason to hold onto the pb.
    05-06-13 08:59 AM
    From the short time I had the Dev Alpha OS10 on my PlayBook, I could tell that the new OS is going to breathe new life into the PlayBook. In particular, the browser was much quicker, like we now see on the Z10 and Q10.
    05-06-13 09:09 AM
    I'd hold on to it for two reasons ;

1) if they do bring out BB10 for the PlayBook it will be awesome.

2) you won't get much resale value back from it hardly even the 64GB version.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    Last edited by knighty2112; 05-06-13 at 09:47 AM.
    05-06-13 09:15 AM
    no one should ever sell their playbooks ! ever
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    05-06-13 09:46 AM
    GallagherPreach:

I don't recall hearing about 2x Client before. Sounds interestings but I should not take this thread off into too much of a tangent. So I will check it out. But it does sound like another reason to hold onto the pb.
    2X Client Remote Desktop Access for the BB Playbook or BB10 phones is one good reason to use the PB more, but if you don't use it now, probably not going to change.

Remote Desktop & Application Access for BlackBerry PlayBook - 2X Client

Should I sell my 64gb Playbook?-2x-client-rdp.jpg
    05-06-13 12:39 PM
    2X Client Remote Desktop Access for the BB Playbook or BB10 phones is one good reason to use the PB more, but if you don't use it now, probably not going to change.

Remote Desktop & Application Access for BlackBerry PlayBook - 2X Client

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2X Client RDP.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	158842
    My problem - I don't know what it wants in the way of settings so that I can connect to my desktop. I have to look around their support page or those settings.
    05-06-13 02:35 PM