Hi all.

Bought a playbook on 24/12/11, used it most days, light use web browsing etc, noticed that battery drained quite quick.

Just installed battery guru, said the health was 85%, did a full run down and recharge, battery health is now 84%, also the unit has a slight bulge on the back.

My concern is the battery health for such a new unit, should i return the unit ?

thx.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-11-12 04:19 PM
    There are numerous threads and several hundred posts regarding your concerns...I suggest you read them first before making a bad decision.
    01-11-12 04:24 PM
    It is a bit odd that it runs down so fast.. One thing to check, go to hardware profile and see how much ram is free.. I found on my freinds unit, his ram was always low ~28 mb, i got him to do a reinstall of the os and it solved both the battery and low ram issues.. If it still continues, I would recommend having it exchanged for a new one.

I should also mention to heed alnamvet68's advice check out the other threads on similar issues..
    Last edited by spike12; 01-11-12 at 04:54 PM.
    01-11-12 04:50 PM
    If there are no calibration issues, 84% battery health is quite low for a new unit.
    01-11-12 05:09 PM
    Mine is 93% and unit was manufactured 050411 and purchased 2 days after cyber monday.
    01-11-12 06:02 PM
    If there are no calibration issues, 84% battery health is quite low for a new unit.
    Some units ship with battery health between 85-95%. I would suggest that you charge complete and let it drain out until the PB shuts off. Recharge, and then see if the battery health gets better. Also doing a reinstall of the OS using the desktop manager has helped some folks.
    01-11-12 06:05 PM
    I think my battery seems kind of bad too. I'd like to get the guru but i'm a teenager...no credit card and I'm afraid I might be overreacting. My parents only ever use debit and AppWorld doesn't seem to give that option. Any tips for checking it without software?
    01-11-12 06:13 PM
    Your PlayBook is still fairly new. 85% battery health seems a bit low for a new unit, My PlayBook is at 91% and I've had it since May 10th. Most electronic device batteries need a breakin period, I'm not sure what it is for the PlayBook, but if your uncomfortable, return it and get another before its to late
    01-11-12 06:26 PM
    this is not at all based on science or any particular testing method...but i do think my playbook gets better battery life now after several charges since i bought. btw whenn i first bought it, i didnt charge it first, played with it right away.
    01-11-12 06:58 PM
    Don't rely on the health reading too much if you've done only about 10-20 recharges. Also, ignore a variation of 85% to 84%, unless it's followed quickly by 83% and 82%... the data on which that calculation (it's not a real measurement like voltage is) is not accurate enough to say that a 1-2% change means anything... it could as easily climb 3% the following day, though generally it's pretty stable.

What matters more is how well your battery is really working. Check your standby power consumption with Airplane mode enabled (you need to leave it off for 4-5 minutes to get a good reading), then again with WiFi back on. Check consumption at at minimum and maximum brightness (with autodim off). Do a drain test and see how well it does. And/or all the above plus sending me a copy of the export file to analyze (email easily findable by clicking the link in the app's menu, or using the support address from in its App World entry).

Lastly: 84% is at the low end for a new unit, but it's not out of the range of typical values. It's probably the case that 5% of units are that low... not enough to consider it defective by any means, and for all we know the units at 84% will stay around there until well after the 90% units have dropped below them... there's not enough data to know what it really means at this point.
    01-11-12 07:14 PM
    this is not at all based on science or any particular testing method...but i do think my playbook gets better battery life now after several charges since i bought. btw whenn i first bought it, i didnt charge it first, played with it right away.
    If you're not actually measuring from a full charge to when it shuts itself off, you're probably just observing the effect of the calibration (basically, that health value) automatically adjusting based on initial use.

If so, it means you're not getting an actual improvement in battery life, but merely an apparent one because the unit is correcting the estimate of health.

Either way, it's not a bad thing of course...
    01-11-12 07:16 PM
    For drain, what is your brightness set at? Lowering the screen brightness helps a lot.
    01-11-12 08:01 PM
    I think my battery seems kind of bad too. I'd like to get the guru but i'm a teenager...no credit card and I'm afraid I might be overreacting. My parents only ever use debit and AppWorld doesn't seem to give that option. Any tips for checking it without software?
    Try the complete drain test mentioned in my earlier post, and you'll have an excellent idea how your battery compares to others. I posted a few numbers in that thread, and my PlayBooks have (fortunately) always shown pretty typical numbers (i.e. average, not too high, not too low) so they're a good baseline.

For the OP: you didn't mention number of recharges. Is yours down in the first half dozen still, or is it exceptionally high for its age (e.g. more than, say, 30?). (That's shown on the Battery Guru screen just under the power.)
    01-11-12 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD