As the title implies...since I purchased a 32gb Playbook through The Source, I have the option of purchasing a 3 year extended warranty for $49. In theory, this is only a 2 year warranty since you get 1 year through RIM.

Reading through the forum posts it appears that a few people have had issues with their PB's...such as battery issues, screen issues, bulging battery problems, etc. Would an extended warranty make sense? Does RIM cover units outside of warranty out of goodwill?

I think I also get an extra warranty through my credit card so as I'm writing this I maybe talked myself out of it...LOL

Does The Source give you a brand new tablet in future should it break under the extended warranty (similar to what Future Shop and Best Buy do)?

Thank you.

Posted from My Mobile App
    09-18-12 08:01 PM
    Only buy insurance on something you can't afford to replace. Given the price of a new PlayBook the answer should almost definitely be no.
    Tim1131 and solomon_grundy like this.
    09-18-12 08:11 PM
    I have purchased over thirty PlayBooks on eBay for friends, family, and co-workers. Most have cost between $75 and $125. Instead of spending $50 on an extended warranty, I would suggest buying instead a second PlayBook for a few dollars more than the cost of the warranty. You may also want to use that $50 instead to buy a Rapid Travel Charger or a Rapid Charging Dock (this would eliminate the most often needed PlayBook repair...a broken micro USB port) and a good case to protect against drops, such as the Otterbox Defender.
    Tim1131 and Mallet21 like this.
    09-18-12 08:14 PM
    If your cc doubles warranty....thats all you need, in my opinion.
    Cracklen likes this.
    09-18-12 08:15 PM
    I was thinking of purchasing an extra unit as a spare instead of warranty, especially if I can find one at $118.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize the USB was a common repair. I ordered the Leather Case and Rapid Charger combo from The Source for $49 so this should help extend the life of my unit.

Posted from My Mobile App
    09-18-12 08:18 PM
    I opted for the 2 yr through Office Depot simply because it was $45 & it covered accidental also. Most times I don't even listen to their sales pitch though.
    09-18-12 08:24 PM
    I would not. Get an Otter Box. It will cost you less and serve you better.
    09-18-12 11:18 PM
    I honestly don't think you need extended warranty for the Playbook. I still have my launch day purchase and I've never had problems nor have worried about the build quality. Despite criticizing RIM for many of their decisions, you have to give them credit for their build quality. The Playbook is a solid, well put together device that with basic common sense and care, should last you for a long time.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    09-18-12 11:56 PM
    Never buy warranty from Future shop, best buy or the source. They will always find some way to ensure whatever problem you come in with is some how your fault. Has happened to me many times before with laptops, they sell you it and 9 months later you have a very difficult time getting a repair.

Manufacturers warranty is sufficient, If your product works for a year, you got yours moneys worth out of it. If it works longer thats even better and if it breaks in a year you got free warranty.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-19-12 12:30 AM
    Best Buy's accidental plan coverage means that if they can't supply a exact WiFi match then you are offered retail value as replacement consideration or latest build model - i.e.
    4G LTE model..... so I grabbed it for those I am dolt moments that seem to plague us.....
    09-19-12 09:17 AM
    I think that a 3 year plan is mostly overkill. I purchased a 2 year with accident protection because I figured that after 2 years tablet technology will have made mind blowing advancements that will leave any current device in the dust.

Most likely RIM will have another killer tablet out by then.

09-19-12 10:23 AM
    I got a 3 year warranty through the source once. Once my phone broke, (an E62) they replaced it with a Pearl 8100, and said at that point their contract with me was over. That was in less than a year. That warranty didn't apply to the replacement device. I wouldn't pay them anything for it.

For the price I paid for the warranty I could have bought an 8100 outright by that time.
    09-19-12 12:57 PM
    What for? It will be obsolete in 16 months.
    09-19-12 02:33 PM
    Well i've done it. Cost me 32 from PC World for 3 years instant replacement. Having young kids & doing a lot of travelling if it breaks, smashes, gets thrown from a tall building I just walk into any store & get a replacement straight away. 10.60 per year for this type of protection - I don't think its overkill, and with mine no need for RMA or going to RIM. PC World are generally very good with warranties too, so i'm happy.

With the kids also getting their mits on our playbooks it seemed logical & not overkill at all.
    09-19-12 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD