11-12-13 04:24 AM
28 12
tools
    I have a Z10 and love it. Will I enjoy the Playbook?

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    11-10-13 11:05 PM
    I have a Z10 and love it. Will I enjoy the Playbook?

Posted via CB10
    I have had one for a year or so. 64g on amazon for 199.00, now it's much less. Wish I waited.

It has a good browser, hardware, resolution, and nice sound. Then it all stops there.
    Zero, I mean zero apps. Truely terrible. You can not find any video, movie streaming anything.
    I use it for photo, video storage only. I do love the image quality, and size of the unit.
    Also, no support. Good luck with warranty. Blackberry gave up on product in June.
    No more updates, no fixes...it's dead, hence 150 bucks for 64g
    Not same app. Available as BB10.
    Hope this helps.
    divakar and blambtn like this.
    11-10-13 11:18 PM
    yes, you'll enjoy it,,, the bridge function isn't as functionable as w/ a bbos device, but it does what it does pretty well,,, as for zero apps, that not true,,, if you have a Z10 then you already know that while bb isn't the app king, there are more than a few that are good,,, & if you can get your hands on a bb convertible keyboard, it makes a great travel pc,,, you can get online anywhere you have phone service when bridged...
    blambtn likes this.
    11-10-13 11:44 PM
    I use one of my playbooks every single night

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    blambtn likes this.
    11-10-13 11:49 PM
    I still use my playbook frequently as well, it's a great device.. but in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one today. I don't regret my purchase in the least, but it was nearly 3 years ago! What you'd be buying today is that same 3 year old device.. it's not longer receiving updates.. developers are no longer making apps for it.. great as it is or was, it's just old tech at this point.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn and milo53 like this.
    11-11-13 12:05 AM
    Definitely!

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    11-11-13 12:10 AM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    harlemsfinest27 and blambtn like this.
    11-11-13 03:15 AM
    As a bargain basement device, now, with informed understanding of what's available for it, a 64G PlayBook can still be a very sane choice, if you have a Z10 - bridge may well not be as capable or as useful with a BB10 device, compared with older BB handsets, but may well still provide ease of tethering that may well not be blocked by your mobile provider.

I use my PlayBooks daily, and I have a Z10. They aren't perfect, they aren't cutting edge, there's things I wish they did better, or had some app support for, but for what I use them for they continue to provide me with worthwhile usage, that I don't tend to stop any time soon.

If you're aware of what the PlayBook can / can't do, what's available for it, and can get one for a good price, then they can be a steal.
    blambtn likes this.
    11-11-13 06:17 AM
    I bought a Nexus 7 2013 about a month ago. While it excels in some respects, the Playbook is just better in others. The PB's keyboard beats any aftermarket keyboard I have tried on Android. Also, the PB email interface destroys Android's default interface.

I tried to edit a word document on the Nexus, and it was really a mess. Docs To Go on the PB just worked better. Everything worked better, it was just a little slower on transitions from one program to the next. I admit, it sometimes hung up on the podcast app a lot.

Summary: It's not a bad choice because it executes without flash and is elegant in its simplicity. I just wish they would update this device with a fresh processor and some more RAM. I don't even need OS10. Just make it faster.
    blambtn likes this.
    11-11-13 06:32 AM
    It will depend on how much you pay and what you want to do with it.

I bought a cheap one from Ebay to show pics to friends and family initially on screen and then via hdmi. Its also my video player in work breaks (DVD rips) amd MP3 player. Catch up TV support is patchy with no silverlight or site-specific player apps. General web stuff is better with Origami browser and easier than holding a laptop in a deckchair. Kindle is available with a minor tweak along with other e-readers/pdf readers. You'll have to look in the app store to see what is directly available. Some android apps work if they support an older version of android. Not a user of social media but I think facebook/twitter apps not directly available

Generally I use it as a media viewer- if I want to be creative then I use the desktop or laptop (just like nearly any other tablet). A phone is a phone so I don't want a smart phone with small screen
    divakar and 8820man like this.
    11-11-13 07:56 AM
    Exactly as yvps said, if the price is right and the use is right, sure. I still use mine everyday and it works great. As many have said, it is old now so support may he limited in some ways. I recently "revived" mine with fresh wallpapers, couple of new apps, etc... One other thing about end of life products, sometimes you can get accessories for a song!! Good luck!!
    11-11-13 11:32 AM
    Do NOT buy a Playbook! Don't listen to these people, there's no future in it, no BB10 apps, nada. Blackberry has given up on it and so should you
    11-11-13 11:40 AM
    Do NOT buy a Playbook! Don't listen to these people, there's no future in it, no BB10 apps, nada. Blackberry has given up on it and so should you
    Why does there need to be a future, BB10, or BlackBerry still caring about it? If you can get one cheap, you're informed about it, what they can do, and the shortcomings, then why should you care about all the rest of that guff?

And the answer is - you shouldn't. Sometimes people just say this rubbish as rhetoric.

If I buy a gadget for a bargain price, I couldn't care less about the future, the company, or anything else - I just want to know whether for the money I'll get some value out of it.
    SEAWARRIOR and kbz1960 like this.
    11-11-13 11:47 AM
    Hi,
    Beyond hardware ,gorgeous screen and stereo sound there is nothing more to it. I bought one in 2011 and one last month ,sold both. i would still buy one if the specs were even remotely in par with the contemporary devices.For me it was more the crave on both occasions than anything else that swayed me to buy the beauties.

Z10 ,bb9320 ,my new nexus 7 2013
    11-11-13 11:51 AM
    I would be more worried about getting a PlayBook with a very old battery in it, even if it's the last one from the production line. (I have 2 and since z10 and now z30 don't use them anymore, just the chargers.)

Z30, and yes, it's a bit on the heavy side...
    milo53 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:54 AM
    Has more to do with charging cycles with battery technology now a days.
    11-11-13 11:55 AM
    Why does there need to be a future, BB10, or BlackBerry still caring about it? If you can get one cheap, you're informed about it, what they can do, and the shortcomings, then why should you care about all the rest of that guff?

And the answer is - you shouldn't. Sometimes people just say this rubbish as rhetoric.

If I buy a gadget for a bargain price, I couldn't care less about the future, the company, or anything else - I just want to know whether for the money I'll get some value out of it.
    I agree but at this point in time I'd find another bargain device. The pb is OK but the browsing is slowwwwwww and no oragomy didn't help with that.
    11-11-13 12:05 PM
    Ok then, you go ahead and put a 3 year old battery in your pacemaker when you need one then...

togarika likes this.
    11-11-13 12:24 PM
    I agree but at this point in time I'd find another bargain device. The pb is OK but the browsing is slowwwwwww and no oragomy didn't help with that.
    Your browsing is slow. Mine is fine - others have no problem, others do.

Thing is, at a bargain price, the PlayBook can still make an excellent buy, so long as you understand what it can and can't do. Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING is as well constructed. A 64G has oodles of storage (yes, non-expandable, and no USB OTG). Stock video player is excellent. Yes, it doesn't have resume or bookmarks, or organises videos in folders - but it performs well, and the native video and audio codec support is excellent.

Browser performance is largely just fine for light browsing (email, forums, ebay, that sort of thing).

It's not all things to all people. It's a ways back on being current in terms of hardware spec. But it's well built, will have lots of local storage, has a nice screen, without a lot of the foibles and issues some budget tablets have with their screens. You could do a lot worse - that's far from a ringing endorsement, but suffice to say, chosen wisely, and for a good price, the PlayBook is still a solid device.

Many comment against it because of THEIR issues with either it as a device, or some political posturing with their disgruntlement with BlackBerry.
    11-11-13 12:48 PM
    I would be more worried about getting a PlayBook with a very old battery in it, even if it's the last one from the production line. (I have 2 and since z10 and now z30 don't use them anymore, just the chargers.)

To go slightly OT, maybe the Playbook 2 could be a simple as Z30 internals, WIFI and/or SIM, bigger battery and with a 7" screen
    11-11-13 12:54 PM
    I di prefer the true multitasking of the play book though, as in the apps keep going, video playing when minimised etc. Thought bb10 would to that with the active frames

scrapmetal58 likes this.
    11-11-13 01:18 PM
    I bought a Nexus 7 2013 about a month ago. While it excels in some respects, the Playbook is just better in others. The PB's keyboard beats any aftermarket keyboard I have tried on Android. Also, the PB email interface destroys Android's default interface.

I tried to edit a word document on the Nexus, and it was really a mess. Docs To Go on the PB just worked better. Everything worked better, it was just a little slower on transitions from one program to the next. I admit, it sometimes hung up on the podcast app a lot.

Summary: It's not a bad choice because it executes without flash and is elegant in its simplicity. I just wish they would update this device with a fresh processor and some more RAM. I don't even need OS10. Just make it faster.
    I just couldn't pass this one by. While I don't have the Nexus 7 (and will probably get the LG 8.3 when it comes out in Canada), your description of it (or of android OS, really) is simply not true from my experience with android phones. From keyboard(s) to editing documents to almost "everything", my android phones perform far better than does my PB. And my brother-in-law's ipad 2 puts my PB to shame on just about every level. I would like the PB's email app but can't because it is soooo slow to display and delete emails. I recently returned from a five-week trip abroad to 300 emails in the PB, and wasted hours going through and deleting them. And don't get me started on apps, which really are the operational core of any OS. They are just so pathetic on the PB.

A faster processor would go far to help the PB, but without decent apps there is no way it can every compare with a current ipad or android tablet. I really don't understand the motivation of people who suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 11-11-13 at 06:12 PM.
    milo53 likes this.
    11-11-13 02:11 PM
    I have had one for a year or so. 64g on amazon for 199.00, now it's much less. Wish I waited.

It has a good browser, hardware, resolution, and nice sound. Then it all stops there.
    Zero, I mean zero apps. Truely terrible. You can not find any video, movie streaming anything.
    I use it for photo, video storage only. I do love the image quality, and size of the unit.
    Also, no support. Good luck with warranty. Blackberry gave up on product in June.
    No more updates, no fixes...it's dead, hence 150 bucks for 64g
    Not same app. Available as BB10.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your help!!

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    11-11-13 02:13 PM
    Seriously? I have 2 Playbooks (I'm a die hard BB guy, and have been for years) and recently got a Nexus 7 (2013). Absolutely no contest in every way. The Nexus 7 is your clear choice in virtually every category.
    11-11-13 02:19 PM
    I should have added to my list that the playbook has better controls, better wake up swipe function and its Origami browser is better than anything on Android.

Maybe the biggest difference is that the touchscreen is awful on the Nexus 7.
    11-11-13 02:43 PM
28 12