i have been contemplating for the longest time on whether i should get a PlayBook or a nexus 7. my work would require me to read a lot of books, pdf's, and other documents, so that is my main concern. other's would be portability, sturdiness, and availability of support and apps here in the Philippines. can anyone help me out? thanks in advance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-18-12 10:22 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook is an excellent tablet for the use-case you stated.
    11-18-12 10:36 PM
    Short answer = yes. Next please.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-18-12 10:42 PM
    Screen on the Nexus 7 is higher res, makes text look a bit better.
    Check to see if the apps you need are available for the Playbook.
    Both tablets are decent for the price.
    11-18-12 10:43 PM
    We have several at work and are used to read tech manuals, read pdfs, generate, send and receive various documents such as invoices, timesheets and workorders. I have several books on my PB and is now my primary tool for recreational and technical reading. The printed resolution specs are higher on the Nexus 7 but in a side-by-side comparison you won't see much difference. The PB has a beautiful display. We wouldn't be using it for engineering drawings if it had less than a sharp and clear resolution. The PB is a true multitasker . I send and receive documents to/from our work PC's as well as taking screenshots of documents to quickly send to our clients. Based on your limited description of needs, I would say the PB would work well for you. As for durability and robustness, from my short time with a Nexus, without a doubt the PB would be my choice. Portability and robustness are two of the reasons we chose the PB for work, as we are regularly on aircraft with them. The one huge plus in choosing the PB would be the ability to Bridge. We use ours in the field frequently where wifi is not available and not needing to purchase a separate data plan.

There have been numerous threads asking the same question, making it worth your trouble to do a little research on the forum. Good luck
    kbz1960 and anon(4316677) like this.
    11-18-12 10:50 PM
    i have been contemplating for the longest time on whether i should get a PlayBook or a nexus 7. my work would require me to read a lot of books, pdf's, and other documents, so that is my main concern. other's would be portability, sturdiness, and availability of support and apps here in the Philippines. can anyone help me out? thanks in advance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    I can tell you that file management and reading pdf's on the playbook leaves a lot to be desired, but overall it's a decent tablet. If apps are important you should check to see if the pb have the apps you are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-18-12 10:52 PM
    We have several at work and are used to read tech manuals, read pdfs, generate, send and receive various documents such as invoices, timesheets and workorders. I have several books on my PB and is now my primary tool for recreational and technical reading. The printed resolution specs are higher on the Nexus 7 but in a side-by-side comparison you won't see much difference. The PB has a beautiful display. We wouldn't be using it for engineering drawings if it had less than a sharp and clear resolution. The PB is a true multitasker . I send and receive documents to/from our work PC's as well as taking screenshots of documents to quickly send to our clients. Based on your limited description of needs, I would say the PB would work well for you. As for durability and robustness, from my short time with a Nexus, without a doubt the PB would be my choice. Portability and robustness are two of the reasons we chose the PB for work, as we are regularly on aircraft with them. The one huge plus in choosing the PB would be the ability to Bridge. We use ours in the field frequently where wifi is not available and not needing to purchase a separate data plan.

There have been numerous threads asking the same question, making it worth your trouble to do a little research on the forum. Good luck
    The bridge app is what really draws me to getting a playbook. I really love BlackBerry products. Aside from being really well built and secure, they are a different breed of devices. I really think they are a lot classier, especially here in my country where everyone else, even the financially unstable people, are touting iphones and galaxy s3 (unbelievable, right?). thanks for your answer. would you also have any opinion on future-proofing? the tech specs on the nexus 7 clearly blows the Playbook out of the water. Man, it really sucks to have a problem as insignificant and life altering as getting a replacement tablet for my broken first gen iPad (which, i should say, I only use for reading books and pdf's anyway... If only the playbook came out first)
    11-18-12 11:22 PM
    I can tell you that file management and reading pdf's on the playbook leaves a lot to be desired, but overall it's a decent tablet. If apps are important you should check to see if the pb have the apps you are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Will definitely check the apps. So far, I haven't read anything on chm readers, or ebook readers on the PlayBook, which is a pretty big deal for me. Are there any lag issues on the playbook?
    11-18-12 11:24 PM
    you seem to have described using the tablet as a work tool, which the playbook is perfect and was MADE for. no one is trying to be a fanboy here, but you are on crackBERRY, but I digress. I think the nexus is a formidable foe and id be lying if I said I didn't want one on launch. what with the quad-core processor and 12-core GPU and all. makes for a compelling buy. and that's what it is. compelling. a toy at best. aimed at gaming and (google) content consumtion. your app selection will of course be better with it but the app world for the playbook is an intriguing and growimg force, soon one to be reckoned with for sure. sorry for the opiniated editorial. bottom line, both tablets will do what you described, however the playbook was MADE for such tasks where as the nexus can perform them simply as a sidenote. hope I helped.
    11-19-12 08:22 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook, at its present form, is still competitive with other tablets having similar sizes... and it may become more competitive once BB10 released on it... but, as what other said, based your decision on what is usable to you that can really help you with your tasks...
    11-19-12 09:55 AM
    The bridge app is what really draws me to getting a playbook. I really love BlackBerry products. Aside from being really well built and secure, they are a different breed of devices. I really think they are a lot classier, especially here in my country where everyone else, even the financially unstable people, are touting iphones and galaxy s3 (unbelievable, right?). thanks for your answer. would you also have any opinion on future-proofing? the tech specs on the nexus 7 clearly blows the Playbook out of the water. Man, it really sucks to have a problem as insignificant and life altering as getting a replacement tablet for my broken first gen iPad (which, i should say, I only use for reading books and pdf's anyway... If only the playbook came out first)
    As far as future proofing, the PB you buy today will be upgradeable to BB10 and that will definitiely be a more advanced beast then anything available now. As has been proven over and over again, specs on paper are not always represenative of real world performance compared to other devices. How many times have we seen devices and PCs of lesser "specs" outperform the higher "spec" devices? What you need to do OP is go handle and work a Nexus and then compare the two devices. Go to a couple of the Nexus forums and read what owners are complaining about, just as here. I haven't seen enough difference between the two to warrant me replacing my PB, especially not until I upgrade to BB10. You really need to try the two and make your own choice. I'll take the features,stability and security of the PB over a little performance increase any day, but that's me.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-19-12 at 10:34 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-12 10:19 AM
    Short answer = yes. Next please.
    Ditto........period.
    Kandoo-BB likes this.
    11-19-12 10:30 AM
    PlayBook Ensures that you will own a BlackBerry10 Device for under 200$ .....Awesome
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-19-12 11:19 AM
    my work would require me to read a lot of books, pdf's, and other documents, so that is my main concern. other's would be portability, sturdiness, (...)
    As concerns pdf, the bundled adobe reader is really barebones, which the ipad owner earlier on correctly identified, but indeed you have a couple of very good third-parties, like e. g. the app wisely named "pdf reader", which handles bookmarking, annotations, remembers the place you were last time etc.
    The same applies for most other fields: for instance the bundled docstogo app is a reasonable default for all microsoft formats, then you have Smart Office 2 that really sports better. Same fot file management, with excellent filemanagers available if you want to go beyond the ordinary use.
    The result of all of this is, you can consider a dozen $/� in addition to the hardware cost, but IMHO it's almost better this way: because you have a choice.
    I understand there is an area where the competition is better, which is professional photography: Adobe apps, for instance, are not available. You still can be an enlightened amateur with image processors handling up to curves adjustment, but it cannot be called "the standard" (for which anyhow you would want a larger screen)...
    On"sturdiness" yes the playbook is definitely robust, hardware and software alike: imperturbable multitasking in a serious shell, which you really get used to.
    Dphildiver likes this.
    11-19-12 11:56 AM
    I've had my playbook a week now and my only concern would be opening some documents from emails, it seems to be a bit hit and miss. As for bridge for the data connection, I use an android phone and just turn on wifi hotspot to get online, which would of course work with any device.

I think as it stands at the moment the nexus is more capable due to the apps, but the playbook is better built and cheaper.

I've been disappointed by most of the apps I've tried or bought. Still unable to use Google docs until files and folders app development fix the bug.

I should add I also have a android ics tab although not a nexus, so this is based on real use and not fanboy chat.
    11-19-12 12:11 PM
    Ditto........period.
    What they said....you will love the PB.
    11-19-12 12:41 PM
    Check out the Apps. If they do what you want then yes, get a PB.
    11-19-12 12:46 PM
    I have used both tablets. I returned the Nexus 7 because, as mentioned before, it felt more like a Google dominated, entertainment device. Sure it can perform well and it has alot going for it, but for me, the PlayBook is a more productive and useful device. The bridge feature, docs to go, HDMI out, the sturdy build and future upgrade to BB10 are all pluses. As for specs, I didn't see a huge difference between the PlayBook and the Nexus 7 even though the latter has a quad core processor. PlayBook's multitasking is very good and I prefer the UI to Android. Perhaps I am used to the PlayBook UI but for whatever reason I am staying with my PlayBook.
    wolfd1 and anon(4316677) like this.
    11-19-12 01:38 PM
    Yes you should.
    11-19-12 01:50 PM
    The playbook is cheap, so it has that going for it. Some people experience random battery drain issues. Not aware that this occurs with the Nexus.
    11-19-12 04:42 PM
    I think playbook are inexpensive now so yiu cannot go wrong. more mature os, lot of issues fixed

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-19-12 10:34 PM
    Yep. It's currently cheap. As it is, it's a pretty decent tablets. Once it gets bb10, it'll even be better!
    11-19-12 10:56 PM
    you seem to have described using the tablet as a work tool, which the playbook is perfect and was MADE for. no one is trying to be a fanboy here, but you are on crackBERRY, but I digress. I think the nexus is a formidable foe and id be lying if I said I didn't want one on launch. what with the quad-core processor and 12-core GPU and all. makes for a compelling buy. and that's what it is. compelling. a toy at best. aimed at gaming and (google) content consumtion. your app selection will of course be better with it but the app world for the playbook is an intriguing and growimg force, soon one to be reckoned with for sure. sorry for the opiniated editorial. bottom line, both tablets will do what you described, however the playbook was MADE for such tasks where as the nexus can perform them simply as a sidenote. hope I helped.
    Really helped a lot. I'm a big BlackBerry fanboy myself... but I haven't ventured into their tablets so far, because of all the bad reviews I've been reading about it. I read somewhere that it was laggy, battery life was sub-par, and apps were overpriced and not as varied as google play.
    11-19-12 11:03 PM
    glad to have helped. and well you just described 99.9% of the current tablet population. tablets are computers, and like computers, no single one is perfect. and computers are often only as effective as the people using them. look, yes the playbook CAN be laggy, yes the apps CAN be overpriced (but on the same hand, the playbook is the only platform I have known to ever offer the high-end game Shadowgun completely free) and the battery life CAN suck. but much like blackberry phones, I have experienced better life out of my PB than any android tablet I've used. here's the deal, if you want apps, 7 useless homescreens and no REAL multitasking, go with android. if you wanna get things done and have a good time doing it, go with the playbook. I read somewhere that android is like a flashy sports car, sure it has more features and is bound to impress your friends, but the playbook is like a good ol' pick up truck, at the end of the day it has less bells and whistles, meaning less moving parts, and will always be there to do for you what you need it to.
    11-19-12 11:26 PM
    Playbook, contains the greatest tablet OS that i have ever used.
    11-20-12 10:31 AM
35 12