I went to bestbuy last night and was scared out of buying the PB by the workers there telling me RIM is going bankrupt/out of business. Now I'm not really sure if I'm going to purchase it or not.
    I have a pretty important question about the PB. Now I understand theirs a new 2.0 software coming out really soon. With this software update will the PB have access to the Android Market? Or are you going to have to jailbreak the PB or go through tedious measures just to get a couple android apps onto the pb?
    02-11-12 08:06 PM
    don't listen to them, they don't know what they talk about most of the times..
    OS.2.0 is coming out soon. you need to root your berry to achieve that if i'm right.
    the PB is an amazing device for sure. i'm sure people will back me up with better posts.
    02-11-12 08:09 PM
    for $199 (16GB) or $249 (32GB) I think its a bargain compared to things like the Kindles and Kobo Voxs' in the same price range that can only do a small percentage of what the PB can do.

I really enjoy having a tablet! Wished I got one earlier but for under $200, what a deal.

You can always return it within 2 weeks - nothing to lose.

ralphydelgado likes this.
    02-11-12 08:10 PM
    But my main question is with the new update will it run Androids marketplace or will you have to DL the apps to your desktop then transfer it over or wait for the developers to port it to blackberry?
    02-11-12 08:12 PM
    02-11-12 08:16 PM
    Get the PB and stop worrying .....this device will blow you away. Until 2.0 comes out ....end of February we are led to believe .... we don't really know. People who have uploaded the beta version of 2.0 seem to be able to run some of the Android apps.
    02-11-12 08:17 PM
    I went to bestbuy last night and was scared out of buying the PB by the workers there telling me RIM is going bankrupt/out of business. Now I'm not really sure if I'm going to purchase it or not.
    I have a pretty important question about the PB. Now I understand theirs a new 2.0 software coming out really soon. With this software update will the PB have access to the Android Market? Or are you going to have to jailbreak the PB or go through tedious measures just to get a couple android apps onto the pb?
    The workers you spoke to are ignorant. RIM has $1.5B in the bank and hasn't had an unprofitable quarter in like forever. They have more than 75M active subscribers in the world and make money every month from pretty much all of them.

Those ignoramuses are spewing nonsense they've read on some anti-BlackBerry blog, most likely, of which there are many. The stock price is way down, but that reflects investor sentiment and not how the company is actually doing. It's got worsening market share in the US, but pretty much everywhere else in the world it's doing very well, and has leading market share in about a dozen countries. And, for every person who has sold their stock, someone else has gleefully snapped it up...

So, with that out of the way...

The 2.0 release will be a major update. Along with adding the native email/calendar/contacts stuff that was missing all along (and the focus of most negative reviews), it includes an Android "player" or runtime. This allows certain Android apps to be run, but does NOT provide direct access to the Android markets, and will not.

Instead, RIM allows Android developers to easily (in some cases little more than a click) port their code to the PlayBook, but they do have to submit the apps to RIM's App World market instead. They have an offer open for Android developers who submit apps right now to get free PlayBooks, and this is apparently leading to thousands of new apps which will run on 2.0. Whether the specific apps which you would like to run will be available isn't something I can answer. Side-loading will likely not be an option, at least not for long, and unless the hackers are being real quiet about it, they haven't yet found a root exploit that will work on the 2.0 release anyway.
    Foppa_21 likes this.
    02-11-12 08:22 PM
    To paraphrase and simplify some of what has been said:

1) You will not have direct access to Android Market unless you Jailbrake the Playbook
    blue-b likes this.
    02-11-12 08:33 PM
    Are the prices going back up after the sale ends tonight?
    02-11-12 08:43 PM
    I don't think anybody really knows what the prices will do. They could go up, and could go down again later. If you think you want one, get one at the prices now...
    02-11-12 09:22 PM
    Best Buy and Blacks retailers are really idiotic. When I went to buy my Playbook both retailers were ignorant. I walked right up to the guy and said "You know Sh#t about the Playbook and even more Sh#t about sales. Your job is to sell product not to degrade and devalue it!" He didn't know what to say. He shut his cakehole and apologised, same with the girl at the Blacks store.
    02-11-12 10:21 PM
    You should be least concerned about RIM going bankrupt as:
    - It is very unlikely.
    - Even if it goes bankrupt, bankruptcy is a rather lengthy process.
    - Even if it goes bankrupt, QNX will probably be picked up by some other company or at the very least go open-source.

As for Android apps, you won't be able to access Android market but there will be tons of Android apps on the Playbook when OS 2.0 is released. However, don't count on those too much as they will not run natively and will have some limitations. Regardless, over time, we should be getting more and more apps NATIVELY.

So the answer to your main question is: get it if you need a very solid tablet with excellent UI and one of the best browsers. Also make sure you research and know which of the apps you may need are missing.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-11-12 at 10:54 PM.
    02-11-12 10:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Just ordered mine
    kennyliu, blue-b and axllebeer like this.
    02-11-12 11:01 PM
    Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you will fall in love with it.
    02-11-12 11:16 PM
    Best Buy and Blacks retailers are really idiotic. When I went to buy my Playbook both retailers were ignorant. I walked right up to the guy and said "You know Sh#t about the Playbook and even more Sh#t about sales. Your job is to sell product not to degrade and devalue it!" He didn't know what to say. He shut his cakehole and apologised, same with the girl at the Blacks store.
    FYI - For the confused out there:

Black's Discount Appliances & Electronics in Batesburg, 29006

Congrats OP
    02-11-12 11:37 PM
    I walked right up to the guy and said "You know Sh#t about the Playbook and even more Sh#t about sales. Your job is to sell product not to degrade and devalue it!" He didn't know what to say. He shut his cakehole and apologised, same with the girl at the Blacks store.
    Too bad I wasn't the retailer, cabron. You would have received "special attention". Anyway, thank you. For proving that igorance has no boundries.

My apologies. OP, congratulations!!
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-12-12 at 01:01 AM.
    02-11-12 11:53 PM
    It's no wonder why PB sales aren't going anywhere is because these sales guys are so opinionated that they forget to sell anything. Being negative doesn't put money in your pockets.

There's been numerous complaints about these retail sales guys discouraging the sales of PB to customers. I don't understand where are the sales manager. They should be coaching these guys to ensure quality service and not bad mouthing about a product the company carries.

If you believe in the company you work for then you should believe in the products they carry. If you don't believe in the product then bite your pride and represent professionally.
    02-12-12 05:32 AM
    It's only $200, and (critically) requires no monthly fee. Although it's wise to be a well-informed consumer, buying a $200 tablet shouldn't be like some sort of life-impacting decision. If it's that big a decision to anyone, then perhaps it's best that they save their money.

Seriously, at the fantastic sale prices, it's a no-brainer.

But it's a gadget. If you get two or three years use out of it before moving onwards and upwards then you'll have done well.
    02-12-12 07:36 AM
    Read this article and it should put the issue in perspective.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-810309.aspx

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-12-12 07:47 AM
    But my main question is with the new update will it run Androids marketplace or will you have to DL the apps to your desktop then transfer it over or wait for the developers to port it to blackberry?
    If you're primary criteria for choosing an entertainment device is Android marketplace apps/availability, then the PB is NOT for you. There are any number of Android based audio-visual devices in tablet form that will be a much better fit for you. The PB will only disappoint you.
    02-12-12 07:48 AM
    Yeah, get a PlayBook. I just did and I it seems everyone else is now too. Might as well join the club.

I actually wanted to get mine before OS2 was released in case the price went back up. I also don't want a 3/4G PlayBook because I don't want a separate data plan. So now is a good time to get one. If they're still at the sale price that is.
    02-12-12 07:53 AM
    If it's that big a decision to anyone, then perhaps it's best that they save their money.
    Agreed. If your budget cannot afford the expenditure, delay the expenditure or realize that is it is luxury item not a life sustaining necessity, and carry on with your life.
    02-12-12 08:00 AM
    I think one has to understand that when you ask a product question on a fan based site you can expect some skewing of opinion....that said, much of what has been posted above is valid. But for others who are asking the same question as the OP, here are a few points to consider, bias aside...

what do you want it to do? If it is games or video then a 10 inch might be better. For me that is what big screen TVs are for.

will you need secure networks? If so I would suggest a PB.

are you an app freak? I am not, if I have 3 or more that I uses on an ongoing basis that would be a lot....if your an app freak buy an Android or Apple.

Price.....currently PBs are very well priced.

Size for carrying...a 7 inch is an excellent size.

For the most part the current tabs are no replacements for lap tops....if you want a machine that is a small computer, then buy a lap top or net book.

Hope this helps....personally I love my PB as it meets my needs very well.
    02-12-12 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD