Hello Crackberry Nation,

Just to start off, I want to say that I have been with RIM for 2 years and I admire their devices. Its been a great two years. But I grew tired of my torch 9800 and had no interest in Blackberries anymore. Anyway, I jumped ship to an iPhone 4 in June and I can honestly say I love it. But then again I REALLY miss bbm. I have two simple questions:

Will the playbook have its own personal BBM PIN (to clarify I just want to know if it will be possible to chat to blackberry users using BBM through my playbook without actually owning a blackberry myself)? And also, can you name me the top three favorite things about your playbook? NOTE: I do not want an iPad because I wouldn't spend that much money on the same device that I can fit into my pocket. And I am not interested in the playbook just for BBM capabilities I just think it has a lot of potential. Please no BASHING Thank you in advance.
    08-27-11 07:42 PM
    I'm going to give you the same advice that I've gotten... Research all the devices and get what you really need, not what someone else likes. I got a Playbook knowing what it can do NOW, not expecting to get any of the "future features". With high expectations come big disappointments.

For my needs the Playbook is perfect.
    shief likes this.
    08-27-11 07:51 PM
    Im planning to get my Playbook next month... i had all major OS (WebOS by HP, Android, even the iphone and obviously my BB! [= )
    Now i played with all the tablets out there from the ipad, touchpad, android, and the playbook.. i found the ipad to be a typical apple product, great quality and performance... the only down size was the size (personal opinion) just didnt like the feel to it.. that device is made for fooling around..
    The playbook is a nice size and perfect for multitasking... sure it isnt perfect and leading the tablet war compared to others but is def something to play with if you havent...
    JFS101 is right don't high expectations knowing my luck im going to get it and i new tablet will hit the market :/
    Being a college student i found the playbook being what i was looking for.. great for my needs at school and traveling its your call just play with what you like then decide
    shief likes this.
    08-27-11 08:30 PM
    To answer your question about BBM, currently you cannot use BBM without a BlackBerry smartphone bridged to it. However, the PlayBook does have a PIN and itis expected that you will be able to use BBM without a BlackBerry in the upcoming 2.0 update as indicated by the leaked photos. That should be out around September or October.
    shief likes this.
    08-27-11 08:54 PM
    I have to agree with jfs101. As stated, it has what it now has. It may or may NOT have future abilities. Do not get one now counting on what it may do.
    08-27-11 09:04 PM
    Having lot of fun with PlayBook, and love it. But it looks to me (almost) as the perfect device in a combination with BlackBerry.

My advice to friends of mine considering 7" tablet, and asking about the PB, still is "not going to work for you for now", based on the feedback they need it for emails,.contacts, calendar, IM (Skype and Gtalk) and webbrowsing.

This, hopefully, may change if the rumors about upgrade 2.0 come to be true
    08-28-11 02:44 AM
    I love my Playbook. Its hard not to go on and on about why, but Ill give it a shot. first thing that got me was the super smooth and intuitive OS. the swiping and the multitasking feels modern, but makes me feel like I've been using for years. The multitasking also just got a game changing update. It has very useful apps and features and the one that takes the cake for me is the Bridge, but the web browsing comes very close. I think the Bridge is the best feature on any consumer tablet on the market and it also just got an amazing update. The hardware on this thing continues to please me daily as well. The microphone, speakers, both great cameras, the form factor and build quality of this thing keeps me hooked. The 7" size combined with the amazing resolution has made it easy for me to take it everywhere with me, in fact I hate when I leave the house with out it.
    I would suggest getting it somewhere that has an easy return policy like Best Buy. Try it out for 14-30 days (depending on the rep you speak to) and if you dont get addicted temporarily return it and try the competition. I went into it knowing I was going to be test driving all the big name tablets, but I started with the PB first and couldn't wait to have it back as I test drove the competition. Good luck on your choice and hopefully you'll be as in love with the Playbook as I am.
    Last edited by sir.dangerfield; 08-28-11 at 10:21 AM. Reason: didn't finish
    08-28-11 10:09 AM
    Short answer, YES buy 2 PlayBooks, just cause.

Long answer:
    As for Right now the Wifi Playbook does not support BBM without being Bridged to the an active BlackBerry device.
    it is unknown if Native BBM will work on Wifi Devices without being registered to the Carriers NOC, it is very much expected that Native BBM will work on Cellular equipped PlayBooks, with dataplans associated with carriers.

as for top 3 things I like about my PlayBook
    SIZE is #1 it first in my pocket, it can be held nicely with one hand from the back,
    Gestures, RIM was smart to not put a home button and make everything with gestures, we need more gestures IMO, but they become so natural I find myself wanting to use them on other touch screen devices.
    BlackBerry Bridge, this feature will be lost on you as you have an iPhone, but I like being able to connect my PlayBook to either of my BlackBerry's to get access to email, or to get a mobile connection on the road, I don't want my email delivered directly to my tablet, so Bridge has been the best feature with that respect.
    08-28-11 10:36 AM
    i got my playbook to go hand in hand with my 9900.
    Now that ive got my playbook and fallen in love with it, id have made that choice to get it even if i didnt have a blackberry.

I know there is alot of people who moan about the playbook, and its lack of apps and what not, but for me i dont go into the app store and look for apps that dont exist, i download apps on a whim. and so far the ones i have go are great!

Things are still in the early stages! remember when Blu rays came out, the list of films in the first year was so short that only a few were worth watching, and now, there are thousands! its just a slight waiting game.

Things are great as they are, but with all the news of the os2 coming soon just makes the sound of things even better!

I accidently left my PB at work over the long weekend and im going insane without it!
    08-28-11 10:48 AM
    I accidently left my PB at work over the long weekend and im going insane without it!
    How could you? Unthinkable....inexcusable!! Now you pay the price!
    08-28-11 03:22 PM
    Form factor, display, built quality, OS, user interface, processor, copying files trough usb, BRIDGE functionality (No need to pay 3G If accompanied with a bb ). This is the perfect platform for next developments... I almost got crazy when the web was out thanks to Irene.... Go for it, you won't regret.
    08-28-11 03:47 PM
    1- Flash video, I use it all the time on cnn, ign, and the full youtube site.
    2- Portability, lots of buddies have 10" size devices which they all agree are great for the couch but not for taking to the park with your kids or out to eat to play games with your kids while you wait for food.
    3- Wishing I had better apps, I do that a lot lol.

I've already decided that if the Android Player doesn't bring me great apps I'll keep the PB for the reasons above and buy an iPad for the apps at my couch.
    08-28-11 05:04 PM
    "I've already decided that if the Android Player doesn't bring me great apps I'll keep the PB for the reasons above and buy an iPad for the apps at my couch."

Same here.
    08-28-11 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD